Does it exist: Tiny hotplate for LED/MCPCB reflowing?

That is one pretty tile :partying_face: , using a tile makes more sense than the wooden frame that I chose :person_facepalming:

Nonetheless, my little reflow block still works like a charm :slight_smile:

Mine is ok, a bit long to heat up though…
The tile was an idea, not the greatest I had :person_facepalming: I now have a burnt area on the table :innocent:
Now I use a brick…

Mine I use clamped in a small table vice to prevent thermal contact with the surface.

I made one with four heater cartridge for 3D-Printers and a thermocouple.
Controller is a Rex C100 clone and a 12V powersupply from a Server.

I had some troubles with the controller manual and improper “own” design :person_facepalming:
The solid state relay works only with an AC load. I replaced the SSR with a normal automotive
relay and failed again since the controller can only source a few mA, which is for a big relay not enough. :cry:
Solved this with a simple transistor as driver for the relay.
The heatplate needs now a pice of wood to isolate the ground better.

-> Cannot recommend my design/idea, also the Rex C100 needs a relatively large case.

Besides the troubles I had, soldering MCPCB’s with a heat plate is now a very easy job! :+1:

If it works Zelda… I’d say you did good!!! :beer:

Interesting. A word of warning, though - you’ll need to be very careful with isolation and earthing if you’re thinking about using one of these mains AC units. Mains electric shocks are not fun.

I’d be more likely to build a 12V Djozz-style device if I were going to DIY one (djozz’s thread ). It’s much safer.

Do you think it could work with a 24-48V input voltage, just at a higher current?

It would be an interesting DIY project to use some of my hundreds of salavaged 18650s, with a buck/boost converter with a variable pot to get variable temperature to either preheat parts or reflow LED/parts

Very interesting, thanks.
I wonder if it would be possible to control the warmup profile somehow….

• it warms up much too fast
  • peak temperature is a little too high
  • there is no heat soak to shorten the peak length
  • what is the cooling speed?

Maybe removing heating elements would make it better?

First thing you should do is isolate those scary looking wires with some heat shrink tubing. For the money it’s worth the try, start with some old MCPCB to try.

i dont think so, this is basic a resistor, more voltage, more current, simple as ohm laws

Nope.

At least not if they are really PTC heaters. PTC stands for positive temperature coeeficient. Their resistance increases with temperature. PTC heaters self-limit and regulate without any additional control circuitry. That doesn’t preclude using them with some other temp control device, but it limits the maximum temperature and, could, I imagine, play havoc with a PID control loop.

I have no idea though whether the resistance at room temperature is low enough to allow sufficient power and current from a lower voltage supply to heat things up in a reasonable amount of time.

Most 18650s use a PTC to protect against extreme discharge into a short circuit.

I'd invest in something serious, heating up slowly with tight temperature control.

Right now I reflow in my induction stove plus infra-red thermomether, can ramp up the temperature progressively and go above 200°C just by a little, not more, without difficulty. Annoying dumbass moronic tactile control panel, though, activates even with a thick cloth above it. I even have to take care not to rub it with my forearm while reflowing. :|

Cheers :-)

This works very well and cheap. Just a piece of aluminum with a hole drilled for a tight fit on an old soldering iron. Held on with a set screw.

Look for MHP30, Miniware hotplate. $100 and temp controlled.

There are little brass plates that go on the end of your soldering iron. Here are 2 examples from a USA vendor.

this is what I've been using for 18 months, with a 2" wide x 8" long piece of steel flat bar laid across it. Works perfectly. Even for 18x led mcpcbs that overhang the edge of my steel flat bar. Still heats up evenly

Haven’t tried it myself but I’ve been meaning to get one to do LED swaps…

Miniware MHP30

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08P5MLGYG

@pscal, does this exist for T12 soldering tips? If so, that would be awesome.

I just got one of those a week or so ago, haven’t used it yet. Its amazing how small it is but seems solidly built.

UYUE reflow hotplate $50 https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33022471796.html

alternate hotplate, fixed temp 260C $16 https://www.amazon.com/Remover-Heating-Soldering-Welding-Station/dp/B07W1ZZH8T