Don't like Anduril lights any more? and 4000K tint?

:smile:

3 Thanks

I think that “bounce off the top/bottom” is fairly reasonably easy to understand, as is “reverses on a release and quick re-press”.

1 Thank

That’s a significant underestimate for the hardcore enthusiast. Over 100 is common enough, I know some 400+ collections exist.

Mea Culpa. Maybe in the 200+ range. But there is the saturation effect. There have been some really great deals over the last couple of weeks. I did pick up some ts10s for gifting and blue TI for me… but other than that I abstained.
So what will make me buy? Maybe some good regulated drivers (with Andruil2). Maybe some breakthroughs in LED technology. But buying a light that pretty much duplicates something I already have is not happening. This is true for most of what is out there right now. Adding USB ports or AUX lights is just not enough.

I don’t have any good answers for Sofirn that haven’t already been covered here… But I do think the saturation hypothesis is valid.

1 Thank

What the…

I mean, I’ve seen photos of people’s collections on display over the years. At the most several dozen in shot. Hundreds is commonplace?

I think it would be an interesting check to run a poll… and people should submit a photo showing their collection.

Right here, just keep scrolling you’ll see many big collections.
When you get over 100 it’s hard to have them in one photo.

You have some in boxes in cabinets (Backstock, duplicates, etc)
On various shelves, curios, etc also

Don’t have an exact count because not into spreadsheets but the # is over 150 for sure.
Not hard to do when deals com along, really used to hit it hard now maybe 20 a year.
Trying to gift more away but don’t trust most relatives with lithium batts.
Later

2 Thanks

I need about 70 lights just for the sole purpose of testing the supported Anduril hardware models. It currently has 71 build targets to maintain and test on a regular basis. Plus older models for older firmwares.

Then there are also a bunch for, like, actual use. :sweat_smile:

2 Thanks

I strongly agree to that. Anything but off → 1C → on + on → 1C → off is anti-intuitive, misguided, irritant and difficult to use for novices and experienced enthusiasts alike.

Not implying hundreds is extremely common, just common enough. I have >100 myself (I really need to update my post in the collection thread, heh)

1 Thank

I’ll make the case for long hold off for my type of usage: headlamps for active sport outdoors. Holding a button is slow and awkward during activity like running and skiing because the arms are swinging and I want to minimize fine control of a button, so I don’t want to do it during my normal use. What I mean by slow is that you hold, and then have to wait and observe the light and then lift your finger - it’s reactive. On the contrary, short clicking is active and sure/precise. You know before reaching to the button that you’re going to click it once or twice to get exactly the level you want, so you just reach up and do that quickly and leave out the mental exercise of holding and waiting (while interrupting arm swing). I can get to the light level I want faster/more precisely without under/overshooting with short clicks (on a L-M-H loop or similar 4 level loop) than using a hold-to-adjust-level method.

At the beginning of the activity (or when it gets dark), I turn on my headlamp and set it to the highest brightness that can be sustained for about 2-2.5 hours, the length of my typical night run or ski plus some reserve. At the end of my activity, I turn it off. I’m using the light like someone would use a car headlamp when driving at night. If I touch the light during the activity, it’s never to turn it off, it’s to go higher for moving faster or lower to save the battery (perhaps the ski is taking longer than expected. . .). That way I’d only ever have to hold the button one time per night (at the end of the activity to turn it off) rather than every time I wanted to change the level. The main players in the big headlamps for my type of usage (Lupine, Lucifer, LEDX, Silva, and Gemini for example) use hold for off because it makes the most sense for that type of usage.

I’m currently in between bigger headlamps and getting by with a single-18650 headlamp (YLP Gekko). Since it has hold-to-adjust levels thing that I don’t like, I’m avoiding that by leaving it all the time at a level that starts fading at 2 hours in the cold and just turning it on and off only, never adjusting the level. I have a hard enough time adjusting it to the right level while standing/sitting still with no gloves on. I need to ramp it the slightest, most minimal touch I can do below the max 900 lumen level (which won’t quite last 2 hours I need), but want it higher than the next stepped level to get the max lumens for 2 hours, so I can’t use the stepped mode. Basically, when I hold the button down, I need to lift as soon as the button delay is gone and it starts ramping down, but that requires a quick reaction time, and I often have to ramp back up to max and do it two times before I’m happy. So no way I want to do that on the move with gloves and ski poles on. Again, I’m really using it like a car headlamp, a perfectly analogous usage just moving through the woods. Except I don’t have high beams using only a single 18650 for sustained higher lumens over 2 hours.

That said, I think you folks and people who do research on flashlights online before buying probably make up much of Sofirn’s business. You folks and those reading your comments on various places on the internet mostly prefer Anduril for your type of usage. And Sofirn isn’t selling to orienteers/skiers/runners, so my opinion on hold-for-off doesn’t apply to this thread.

I can’t see a non-light geek willing to research all the different emitters and configurations and wanting to look at an Anduril chart, so that’s why I think Sofirn is selling mostly to enthusiasts or those reading enthusiast reviews. Barry wouldn’t be complaining about slowing business if it were mostly non-light geeks doing the buying because they wouldn’t know the difference.

2 Thanks

Poor driver regulation is the main reason I haven’t bought a Sofirn lately.

My last Sofirn was the SF47, a 4xSST40 light with a 2x21700 form factor and a linear driver. I would love to see an upgraded version with 5000k SFT40 emitters and a nice regulated driver.

2 Thanks

Sofirn C01S, SF13 and SF11 were good flashlight models which they don’t produce now and I think that that was a bad decision.
SP31V2.0 and SP35 (not T model) are good flashlights.
SP10V3 and PRO must get better choice of led, 519A will be better than LH351D.
Of course thay can source a better batch od LH351D.
I have Manker E02II with SST-20 6500K and it have the best cool white light colour which I don’t see at other examples of light with same led. That same diode will be good in SP10.

Agreed. @Barry0892 if you’re paying attention, people still want this kind of model. There are actually a lot of people who don’t want to use lithium ion battery, and are still using AA/AAA batteries. Instead of producing so many different new models, Sofirn could think of just updating older models to V2, V3.0.

Personally I would like to see an updated 4xAA/14500 flashlight like SF11.

In fact just recently I saw on my local FB flashlight group people are still asking for AA/AAA thorfire/sofirn flashlights and asking what happened to them.

That’s a great story!.. And more recently he releases an anduril flashlight… with anduril1 instead of 2! His driver guy is really into older hardware (i laugh, but let it be known that I still love Simon’s work).

Thank you all very much for all of your sharing and suggestions. I feel very touched. Let me explain the purpose of my post here:
I hope to investigate the reasons for the current decline in sales of Anduril’s flashlight,
and collect the opinions of flashlight enthusiasts in the BLF forum, so as to meet the needs of enthusiasts for flashlights, and design a special lamp for them.

14 Thanks

Looking forward to that! This will almost surely be my 2nd Sofirn flashlight!

I just purchased 2 more SC31 Pro[Blue and Red] today(Black Friday).
I now have 3 on the way!

Looking forward to it :slight_smile:

1 Thank

I am excited to watch the process of developing a new project here. :+1:

You’re new here, aintcha? :joy::rofl::joy:

1 Thank