Don't trust the stock lanyard

Tec Accessories splitrings kit 1 and kit 2, throw in the splitring pliers and you’re good to go for tying 550 Paracord to.
Amazon or ebay will have what you need but the kits are handy and the splitring pliers make it easy to fit the small splitrings through the small holes on flashlights.

Also Essexman’s lanyards at Heinnie Haynes are excellent quality. :slight_smile:

Edit. Forgot to add that this Micro and Nano cord might be what you’re after. I’ve just got some of the Microcord, it’s 100lb test so will carry the weight of a flashlight easily, and can then be tied to 550 cord.

Make sure the hole you are going through isn’t sharp edged before tying, if it is then a small split ring then tie the cord onto that.

The easiest way to make a strong lanyard that will fit any light is to attach a small stainless split ring ( available on the web or at a sporting goods store in the fishing supplies ) to one of the lanyard holes , then you will be able to use 550 cord to make your lanyard without compromising strength . Sometimes you might have to remove part of the split ring as I did here to fit into the smaller holes .

EDIT : 8steve88, you beat me to it !

Not by much. :bigsmile:
The oval split rings in the TEC kits make them worthwhile

It is always fun to rip the lanyards.
I do that always when I get a light 95% break after one slight pull…but some are good.
—-
What I also dislike are these cheap metal rings which are just a piece of steel wire bend to a circle, these are on almost all keyattachment thingies the weakest point.

Small Split rings are also nicely available in fishing supply in packages with printed on strength. I have a 10mm 55kg ring and it is really unbreakable…I gues the 20kg one would have done the job even better being smaller…

That’s a good idea, I’ve not thought of that.

Your profile says you’re in the PNW… It’s a shame you missed meeting this guy:
Roy Chapman, Knot Guy, Force-5 & Knot Art RIP
He was a master knottyer and a good friend.

The problem I have is, either you reeve your cord through the holes and then tie a “soft” (no hardware) lanyard in place, or you tie to a clip or ring, which galls away the aluminum around the wee holes. I like tying the knots, even fighting with a tailcap, but that’s just me.

Either way, it’s hard to tie someone else’s lanyard…

Dim
PS: There are no knots in this lanyard:

I too have a bunch of discarded lanyards and two of them are thicker. One from my old Energizer and the other from the JAX mini C8. The JAX is nice because it has the little button doohickey to tighten it around things like a noose.

One of these days, I’ll link them all together and pull them apart to eliminate the weak ones.

This stuff is fairly strong, but very hard to thread into any flashlight.

Seriously, there's tons of lanyards out there, made of paracord and literally millions of folk who make them, so the sources for lanyards are all over. Just try to stick to ones that are using paracord, and never use a thin strand tied around paracord, or it will tear through. The stock ones that come with lights are usually junk. Even the paracord ones, because the ends are poorly made. Knotted paracord is best and doesn't come apart easily. A search on ebay for paracord lanyard gives plenty of results to choose from. Just toss out the stock lanyards.

Above, “Dimbo The Blinky” wrote: “The problem I have is, either you reeve your cord through the holes and then tie a “soft” (no hardware) lanyard in place, or you tie to a clip or ring, which galls away the aluminum around the wee holes. I like tying the knots, even fighting with a tailcap, but that’s just me.”

I suppose I’ll have to make my own. No rings for me. Want one end of the loop to come back through the middle of the lanyard so I can thread the light/knive onto the pre-made lanyard. Sounds like a “hangman’s noose” tie.

Maybe found pre-made, marketed as made by a veteran, here http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/aapk_stores/index.php?category=42

In small cord, that makes a dandy knot for a lanyard, especially if you already know how to tie one. Tie one smartly in one end, the use the standing part (the part that would go over the limb in a real hanging) to tie another one. Adjust them both so the coils slide along that Standing Part “backbone”…

This makes what Roy called “Sister Loops”, which — if made the right size — can give you something to attach Paracord to… Best of all they are cheap to re-make when you need new ones.

Adjust the cordage so the loops are the “right” size, tighten all the coils and trim the ends — ta-daaaa! (“Right”, of course, being whatever size you want… YMMV and all that…)

By using two “hangman’s nooses”, the size of the loops is adjusted by sliding the coils along that “backbone” part, which means you can have two “medium” loops or one “big” and one “little” loop, with the coils jammed together, or two “little” loops with the coils apart and a single cord between them. Good idea!

If you don’t want the coils spreading apart, tie a two-strand Matthew Walker knot instead of the above, and you’ll have two loops which trade cord/size but have only a small set of coils between them.

Sorry, that’s probably TMI…

If you know how to make a double overhand knot, in the end of a cord, around “something”, let that “something” be the rest of the cord, folded in half, and you’ll notice that same slipping loop, but a lot easier to tie. Just fold the cord, take it in your hand, then use an end to tie a binding knot around the parts coming out of your hand. Repeat “going the other way”. It takes doing it, checking what you’ve done, adjusting adapting & re-doing it at least a few times, even for the Masters (less, but it happens); so don’t worry if it seems hard, that’s what makes it great.

More TMI: Do your sister hangman’s nooses on a piece of thin cord 18” or more long, right at the ends. Now “hang” the ends of the temple pieces of your sunglasses… Some fun these knots, eh? If you work aloft, that last trick will make dandy safety lanyards for your tools. Just “hang” your wrist with one end, the tool with the other and Bob’s yer Uncle! No droppies!

I like to keep a split ring on some of my higher use flashlights. Once in a while I might clip a lanyard on, but more often it’s to clip onto a bag or something where I won’t lose it. Having a small split ring even lets me quickly throw a small light on my keychain as I’m going out the door. In the woods I sometimes clip flashlights to the outside of a bag or backpack, tucked into a pocket that’s easy to get to. I used to just tuck flashlights into those pockets but I would lose them half the time.

I never use the lanyards, now I know why :-) I have a box full, waiting to be disposed.

I will however use one soon, the one I will win in Jack's next giveaway