DOUBLE 1 AND ½ "REVIEW": Sofirn SP10A and Sofirn SF14 *[added night / distance shots]

PH_Oton, I’m sorry but I will not be able to help you as much as I’d like! The lens I have are smaller and shorter than the reflector, so they don’t fit properly!

Please note that if you chose tir lens with plastic holder, try to chose some with conical shape, it will sit better on the emitter board.

About where to buy them, take a look at this store in AliExpress and other related suggestions:
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/219000?spm=a2g0s.9042647.0.0.9jnGGO

I took some photos (click to enlarge) of them so that you can see the measures!
Original reflector:
These are the measures that must be the base for you choice. BTW, the bottom hole of the refelctor is about 3.0mm.

TIR lens
Please note that the one in the right is taller and it’s hole is larger than the one in the left. These type of lens don’t (necessarily) need centering gasket as their hole is larger to fit the led (XP-G2, XML2…).

The one in the right, you will need to use a centering gasket and eventually the plastic holder, otherwise it may damage the LED.

———

———

I wouldn’t put 2 flat clear surfaces together (Newton rings).

Besides, get a bunch of spare TIRs for Just In Case scenarios.

No front glass = no AR coating = no tint-shift.

Plus, the glass in front can interfere with the beam coming out of the TIR.

Plus, the glass can still crack by dropping the light, whereas you’d have to drive a nail directly into the TIR to crack it.

Using an o-ring between both lens would help to avoid friction! I use them in modded lights with TIR optics for single and multiple emitter and it works fine.

I agree with many TIRs, the taste may shift from time to time, so get a bunch of them :wink:

I partially disagree with the tint shift, because it may depend on the type of TIR used and LED used. A Pebbled lens has less “probability” to provoke tint shift. And, as example, a LED like Luxeon V has less probability to provoke that shift even if used with TIR optic an AR coated lens.

BUT, as this is not the LED that PH_Oton will use, I don’t know how it will behave.

Also, Glass lens + o-ring or o-ring + glass lens + o-ring above TIR will help in waterproofness.

We must remember that the original flashlight is not “prepared” for a TIR optic, so putting it in place is a nice exercise of “let’s do the best, hoping the wrong doesn’t come up”.
So, a TIR will always be a strange body that may fit or not perfectly.

I would advise to use the glass above the TIR, specially because the SF14 lens is NOT AR coated :wink:

Thank you a lot for all the efforts of disassembly, measuring, photos and kindness MB :beer: ! I already found some candidates for ordering from a vendor you linked!
I already have experiences with nichias and tint shift trough AR lens and reflector. To save on cost I will probably go with standard lens if there will be enough space for it. If not, well , shorter springs, shorter bypass, shorter threads? :partying_face:

Seems like the same person is handling Sofirn Official Store and the Beamax Lighting Store in AliExpress:

Yeh, I noticed that, too, which was a bit odd. :smiley:

Got the followup emails, too. “Thanks for your order.”, “Your order has shipped.”, etc.

I’m looking to mod the tailcap of SF14’s that are en route from China.

• Is the switch a standard Omten 1288 (or one of equivalent size)?
  • What’s the diameter of the aluminum washer?
  • Could you measure inner and outer diameter of the rubber switch cover?

Thanks guys!

I got the SF14 and also the Omten 1288 (this is the same one that fits the Convoy S2+ tailswitch right?)
The Omten 1288 switch doesn’t exactly fit (only barely) — SF14’s tailswitch diameter 15.8mm while the Omten 1288 tailswitch board is 16.0mm. (Maybe it’s possible to file the board so that it fits?) The SF14 rubber button inner diameter is 14mm (about the same size as the button of the Astrolux S1), which is smaller than the one from Convoy S2+.

Hey gchart!

I hope these help :wink:

Bless you! Those are perfect!

You’re welcome mate :wink: :beer: