Double Aspheric Thrower-310kcd!!!

But it cant be driven really hard.

I was thinking XT-E may be the best. I’ll have to check the flux and dims.

Whoa. That’s one HOT spot. 188k, sweet.

I don’t see how XR-E will do better than this monster, as the most current it would take is around 3A+ for a good set. And that’s with severely reduced efficacy. But can’t hurt to try.

You XR-E will be dedomed and direct-driven, I presume? Can’t wait. In case you wanna do it, cleanest and easiest XR-E dedome is with 12h petrol soak in my experience.

BTW: How exactly to measure back from x meter to 1m? Straight multiply with x? I was under impression is should be x^2 (not that I know much about it).

When you double the distance you get 1/4 the light. So when measured at 4 meters you multiply the reading by 16.

Those are the Ahorton lenses? I have a couple of those and they are pretty impressive. I'm still considering driving an XR-E up to 2 amps like another member did (crap, can't remember who).

No, it's 2 different lenses. One was 3.5 inch diameter and the other was 4.5 inch. The two are mounted together. I purchased them from ma_sha here.

He got those from MA

But
Yea those are nice ashorton lenses I have 2-3 left I’m not using, they work great in a solarforce host

Oh holy crap, I missed that thread.

No they aren't... They came out of a projector...

Sorry I thought he was talking about something else

HI Scaru,

Here is a quote from my CPF lux collection thread:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?311939-Consolidated-Short-Arc-amp-HID-spotlight-Lux-readings

[Quote]Equation to convert CP from lux reading @ X meters: CP= lux@ X meter times square of X
Example: Lux meter reads 10,000lux @ 10 meter distance, CP=10,000x10x10= 1 Million CP
Generally speaking, measure at 0.1X meters if its XK lux. If light is 10K lux or less, measure at 1 meter.
If light ~50K lux or less, measure at 5 meters. 100K lux, measure at 10 meters, > 1 million Lux, measure at 50-100 meters or more. >10 Million lux, measure at 100 meters or further. [/Quote]

If your light really reads 47K lux @ 4 meter, the CP will be 47,000x4x4 = 752,000 cps :santa:
The distance is too short for an accurate reading of such high lux light, there is a chance you are reading it at the light converge/diverge junction & mess up the readings too.

You should read it again at at least 20-40 meters out (66 –131 feet), then back calculate.
Either way, it looks like it’s going to be much higher than 188K lux

Really? Ok, I think my lux meter is broken. :P While it certainly throws very well, it is not that bright... Of to go order a new lux meter. ;)

While this is an amazing thrower it certainly isn't that great. So I'll go try some 10 meter measurements though. Hopefully, that will give a more accurate reading.

Ok, just measured it at 10 meters and got 3.1kcd which is equal to 310kcd (3.1*102). So better than I thought, yet not as good as my 4 meter test.

I don't know what was wrong with the 4 meter test... I guess some weird thing with the optics or maybe it glitched out. I don't know.

But still, 310kcd!!! That would even beat the Ebay HID which I may or may not have on the way. :D

Nice readings scaru

U can buy the hid and sell me the lenses :slight_smile:

310 kcd is about right, about the same as the led Torpedo I did a while back with this lens:

As for the reason why the 4M is overly high, if you look at the beam in a wet or foggy night, you’ll see that the beam is not perfect parallel,
it converges first and then diverge slightly, i.e the beam crosses & there is a narrow point a few meters out, around this point, one will get falsely high readings. All aspheric lens system does this, some reflector light does it too, depends on focus

You hit on a really nice combo of optics to form your optical train Scaru.
Looking forward to reading about just how far the set-up can be tweaked.
Not just tweaked mind you, I mean above and beyond in the best BLF style tweaked.

As soon as my package from Fasttech arrives with the PC heatsink and XR-Es it will hopefully break 500kcd.

should have said something, ive got a pc heat sink i would have sent for lil to nothing

I already got one from Fasttech for around 2 dollars. :)

yeah, beats my shipping costs. but always willing to help out a fellow BLFer with the random junk i got layin around that i cant bring myself to throw out :wink: