DQG tiny 4 18650 triple mod

This light couldn’t be better…
Nice work for one more time :wink:

That bare polished DQG looks great! Awesome job!!! :sunglasses:

Great looking mod.
I like it that much I’ve got a dqg tiny 4 host on the way to copy it.
Couple of questions.
What size is the driver and how is it held in place?
The switch, is it sitting on top of the copper heatsink you put in?
Thanks for your help.

Sorry, I'm wayyy overdue to get thermal regulation into Narsil. Been putting it off, busy with projects. I have to get back to it though. A few guys have been bugging me for it, and should have enough memory in the 85 left to add it without sacrificing anything. I know they want it in the BLF Q8, and a while back even Richard was asking for it. He might be interested in offering it if it had thermal regulation - he seems uninterested at this point because he says e-switch drivers are a small part of his driver sales, so there's not much interest out there.

DEL has a great and simple implementation of it, so was gonna use his as a baseline.

Thanks guys :+1:

@RJD Nice to hear, I really still like it a lot.
I used a Fet+1 17mm driver, but original is about 18mm if I remember correct. It is glued in place with thermal paste, but that can quite easily be removed. I soldered the driver in place on the brass ring.

The switch is not on top op the heatsink, it’s besides it. That’s why I filed away the rectangular shape. Make it fit snug, or use thermal paste (I ended up using Sipik) to secure it in place.
I hope you get it all done!

@Tom E I’ve been too busy to mod anything lately. And I actually don’t think I can find anything I would use more than my current lights. I do look forward to the Q8, looks promising!
When you include thermal regulation, that would change things. I will have to flash that to my DQG mod offcourse!
I also allmost burned my fingers on my UV-S5 once, so it would be nice in either formfactor.
No hurries, but when you feel bored do give it a try :+1:

This is what happened when my SupFire M6 was activated on hi (I believe) in my case. The M6 was wrapped in a small towel:

It took a long time to cool down (think'n 30+ mins) - I was barely able to turn it off without burning my fingers. Results? No damage to cells, LED's, driver, light - nothing. Still in use til this day, and that was a couple years ago.

You’re lucky it didn’t catch fire! With my DQG mod, I get smoke from a black towel on high within a few seconds… Quite amazing to see. I’ve got a few towels with these nice yellowish circles burned in them laying around as well :smiley:

The UV-S5 works still fine as well. These well built flashlight parts are more resilient than one might think.
For firehazards and burned-skin’s-sake it would be nice to have some stepdown ofcourse.
I have had a few unpleasant thermal surprises in my pocket allready… I won’t be carrying these overdriven lights without physical lockout in a bag.

According to

the bezel shouldn’t shroud the optics, but in your light it does. Is is actually a washer? Is your bezel slightly smaller? Any other reason?

This is my

I haven’t been around this thread for a while, but
@ AGRO: I don’t know exactly what you mean. There is a glass lens on top of the carclo optic. This secures it in place under the bezel.

@ Serp: Nice job and great tint!

I’ll have to find time to mod it to the new Narsil with temperature regulation. Have to look into it, because it looks promising. My Q8 should be here within days now, so I can test its function.
But I’ll have to find out if it works with the X6 driver with Attiny85. Don’t know if it needs any further mods on the driver to be able to use it in the DQG.

Still works like a charm, and a bit scared to ruin it.
I use it daily with a lumintop usb rechargeable cell, great for on the go!

Thanks for sharing Dutcheee. I completed my DQG 4th yesterday following pretty much everything you listed. Like you said this thing heats up fast with a Sony VTC6. It gets so hot so fast I’m about afraid of it. Heats the whole body up in less than a minute and the heads hot enough to burn you in 30 seconds. Its only 3 XPL V5 but I’m pretty sure it’s brighter than my D4 4-Nichia’s running the same battery. I measured about about 13.5 amp draw from the battery. Great pocket rocket mod. :+1:

I just read your post. Great to hear it worked all out! :+1:
Picture?

I disassembled mine to update to a narsil driver from Lexel, but havent been working on it any further. Will take a while I’m afraid and I’m missing this light. Hope you still like it too!

I thought I would add this here for anyone else looking to do this mod. Using the A6 or X6 board, there is a problem running it in higher current output situations, triples especially. With NarsilM the ramping mode gets stuck sometimes and can’t be shut off or changed. You have to disconnect the battery to get the light to cut off. If it gets stuck at the ceiling you only have a few seconds before it gets extremely hot, especially if you have already been playing around with it. Not fun trying to unscrew this light when it feels like its a nuclear reactor in thermal runaway. :disappointed:
The problem is hardware and nothing to do with NarsilM. The fix was posted here.
@Dutchee, I liked this mod so much, I purchased another 4th to mod. They both are running fine and are great at all around use. About the same size as most of my AA/14500 lights with way more light available and 3x the run time given the same light output. :wink: