Dr. Jones: A BEAUTIFUL MIND.........."Flashlight Optics: Dome, dedome and throw"........

Here’s an old thread I just restumbled upon that is concisely massive in scope - and a lot of reads.

A brilliant mind at work here, folks. Simplifies things that can get really complex. :sunglasses:

Enjoy. Or re-enjoy.

Wow!! Thanks!

I might suggest amending your post title to incorporate "Flashlight Optics: Dome, dedome, and throw" as this is an excellent link to an over 2 year old post with some great reference education material within. Suggest making it a "sticky" in the appropriate subforum.

A wonderful find, answers a lot of questions I've had explained VERY well...

Cheers!!

Doesn't "A Beautiful Mind" imply mental illness?

You’re into flashlights too so isn’t that a rhetorical question?

:laughing: :beer:

I can't argue with that.

But saying that someone has "A Beautiful Mind" sounds like a back-handed compliment to me.

Well…there was that movie “A Beautiful Mind” starring our favourite Aussie/Kiwi actor Russel Crowe, in which he played a genius mathematician bordering on schizophrenia. (True story) I think there is a fine line between what some people call mental illness and genius.

So whether it’s a back-handed compliment is debatable. I’m definitely not on the genius side of the dividing line!!

Similarly, some of the world’s greatest comedians suffered from manic depression, like Lenny Bruce, Peter Sellers, Robin Williams, Tony Hancock, John Belushi, Spike Milligan….

Aw Heck - this is a flashlight forum…I must be mad for rabbiting on like this…

“Aw Heck – this is a flashlight forum…I must be mad for rabbiting on like this…”

Face it guys and gals if you’re reading this forum constantly there’s a side of you that’s “brilliant” and a side of you that’s “whacky”. In Dr. Jones’ case he’s just a little more brilliant-sided than usual when it comes to optics. Don’t know if he’s full on Russel Crowe whacky yet but IMO the longer one plays around hard in this fascinating arena I’m pretty certain he’s getting there.

This optics and light stuff can be mega addicting because for one big reason it’s readily accessible. And we all know when something is readily accessible it’s breeds addiction which is a form of mental illness - however one defines mental illness to be.

Here’s the thing. WE think frequent BLF forumers are for the most part normal. (Present company excluded. ) :smiley: People outside of this flashlight thing think we’re not. We think they’re nuts too for not being here.

It’s a Wonderful World of Nuts and oft times…… :beer:

Carry on fellow patients.

:laughing:

DrJones has not logged in for more than 2 years now, that sounds like mental soundness to me :partying_face:

Only for Abby Normal.

Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: [to Igor] Now that brain that you gave me. Was it Hans Delbruck's?

Igor: [pause, then] No.

Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: Ah! Very good. Would you mind telling me whose brain I DID put in?

Igor: Then you won't be angry?

Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: I will NOT be angry.

Igor: Abby someone.

Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: [pause, then] Abby someone. Abby who?

Igor: Abby... Normal.

Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: [pause, then] Abby Normal?

Igor: I'm almost sure that was the name.

Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: [chuckles, then] Are you saying that I put an abnormal brain into a seven and a half foot long, fifty-four inch wide GORILLA?

[grabs Igor and starts throttling him]

Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: Is that what you're telling me?

Soooooooo. In light of Dr. Jones’ opus, did anyone ever figure out WHY the new XP-G3 turned out to be a lousy dedomed thrower? Other than it lacking bond wires, and slightly larger die, the rest of the possible reasons appear to have been theories and no proof.

In reading this thread again I’ve since concluded that it was never figured out.

But maybe it has?

:student:

Thanks, Endy.

Thanks raccoon city for the Mel Brooks script….
Another screamingly funny man!

R.I.P Gene Wider and Marty Feldman - you brought light to my life like a BLF Q8

Dr. Jones?