Drilling Holes in MCPCB??

Can you drill holes in the MCPCB so you can screw it into the pill? The reason I ask is because I just modded 2 C8’s. The pill was for a 16mm MCPCB so there was very little room for screws to screw it down, and there were only 2 holes in the MCPCB for the lead wires. A 20mm star would be self explanatory because it has notches all through.

Shouldn’t be a problem.

Just look closely at the PCB before you drill. You should be able to see the traces as raised lines on the top of the PCB connecting the contacts to the emitter. Make sure you don’t drill through those traces and you’ll be fine.

What kind of MCPCB? Most of them are easy to tell where the traces are at, but there are a few that are a bit more difficult to tell. On the Noctigons the traces go straight from the pads to the emitter and they're raised so it's easy to tell, on some of the aluminum MCPCBs they snake all over the place but you can usually see them as well if you look close.

SinkPads. Would like to play with Notigons as well

You don’t have to drill the MCPCB to screw it down. You can use screws on two opposite edges of the PCB and have the holes in the pill just outside the diameter of the PCB that way the heads of the screws still hold it down. You could also notch the PCB instead of needing to drill it.

Not sure what you mean? None of the pillars I have worked with have had screws.

You would have to drill holes into the pill for the screws (small pan head screws ideally) e.g.:

Picture pinched from old4570.

That earth ring looks like its seen a few homes/mods over the years…

I take it they used to be expensive? Hard to come by? No, you still do it? Cruel buggers. Thats abuse.