Driver electronics (PWM efficiency) question

I meant the OTHER blinking! :zipper_mouth_face: But I donā€™t even like PWM, unless the light source can do the ā€œpersistenceā€ part. (Yes, Iā€™m still hooked on the hot wireā€¦)

But Iā€™m weird that way.

I work on machinery & tools that move dangerously. Take your PWM light & watch a running car engine at nightā€¦ Scares the daylights out of me, no pun intended!! Itā€™s SUPPOSED to look like itā€™s moving in a dangerous manner, the better to remind you ā€œDONā€™T PUT YOUR HANDS IN THERE!!ā€ā€¦
(Ironically, the other blinking actually is useful around automobiles, but in a whole different regime!)

Well, of course itā€™s going to leak. Thereā€™s that big, fat FET sitting right there between Out and GNDā€¦

But I was thinking the MCU would drive relays (transistors or big, flappy brass reeds ā€” but youā€™re not building a sailboat motor controller, are you?) which would power 7135s off as a switch wouldā€¦ Maybe I missed that part. Youā€™d drive VDD directly from your ~25mA output pin? Now I wonder about batchesā€¦ In parallel, would you be able to turn them all on (the 200uA would be easy, but what about that ~2.7v min. VDD?)? In series, I would LOVE to see the propagation delay scoped out!!! If you (say) doubled your pulse width due to the time it takes all the 7135s to ā€œseeā€ the current, what would that do to your OTF? (See, itā€™s not the PWM I dislike, but the way the LED presents itā€¦) Youā€™re flipping the (x-number) of 7135s on/off with each pin, right? So the ā€œblipā€ of current would have to propagate through the batch each cycle? What if you could use that to control the LED?

Just spitballing here, but I was thinking you would need another layer, which would allow you to fully power-off the 7135s and their LED ( s ) ā€¦ (Yes, as you can see, I see the 7135 as a magic Ilim resistor( s ) dedicated to an LEDā€¦ But seeing the package like that seems to work for me.) Anyway, if you cut power to the whole 7135, where would your quiescent current go? I think the answer is ā€œawayā€, but Iā€™m still playing catch-up hereā€¦

Dim

Because i want to make a driver with a soft-button, so this parasitic current will drain the battery even while
the flashlight is ā€œoffā€.

See for example the zebralights:

They also have this drain, but they managed to keep it so small that it doesnā€™t matter. This is exactly what i need, too.

This looks very promising, thanks for the measurement! At 164ĀµA an 18650 will still last over a year, so this is probably good enough. Also the NANJGs use an ATTiny13A, which according to the data sheet, draws 24ĀµA at 1.8V and 1MHz (idle mode). One chip that i might use, the PIC12F675, has a standby current of 1nA at 2V, and can even operate at 8.5ĀµA at 32kHz. What those datasheet values mean for a led driver we will see, but using a PIC might lower the parasitic drain a bit further.

Iā€™ll measure that configuration, too, but iā€™m starting to think that maybe you had a faulty 7135 in your batch? Did you perform the measurement only on one batch of 7135ā€™s or different ones?

EDIT: found out by accident that ā€œatā€ signs change the font instead of showing up as themselves

Thatā€™s an interesting thought, the PWM making you not see the movement. But this would only be a problem at very low settings, and in an area where stuff moves dangerously, i would never go for moonlight mode :slight_smile:
As soon as i give more than (average) 350mA to the LED, it will always be on, and just vary in brightness.

It might leak more than an open relay, but anything less than a few microamps i can happily ignore :slight_smile:

Lets see if i understand you correctly: you are discussing whether i put the 7135ā€™s in parallel or in series?
Series does not make any sense for a constant current chip. Youā€™d get a constant current of 350mA like with a single chip, and also the excess voltage is probably burnt off to heat in a single one, while the others put their FETs in full-on mode. Also, then youā€™d have to have higher voltages to supply those that do not sit at GND.
The chips will be connected in parallel. Then i do not need higher voltages for their supply. 2.7V min is no problem, as the cutoff voltage for a li-ion should be at 2.8, and as far as i know, the digital output can swing rail to rail.

Regarding the blip of current: That might be a problem at GHz frequencies, not at a few MHz. Also it is not important when a 7135 switches on or off, it is only important for how long it stays on, and that does not vary. So even if the ā€œlastā€ 7135 got the on-pulse very late, the brightness you see would be exactly the same.

If i cut power to the chip, there can be no quiescent current. Current can only flow when there is a voltage driving it.

I can post schematics when i get around to drawing them, maybe those will clear things up a little further.

Replace ā€œiā€ with ā€œMCU by way of the Output Pinsā€ and youā€™ll have it all in one sentence!

I was actually thinking of caps (or something) between the 7135s to extend that propagation delayā€¦ but I canā€™t remember now why that was so interestingā€¦

I apologize for the dalliance re: driving them, as I confess when I went to the Datasheet for the smallest PIC I could find, the DC Characteristics table listed the voltage on the Output pins minimum Vdd of 0.7 seemed low enough to be a problem, for batches of 7135s. Their minimum is 2.7v each, but only require 200uA. I just went back & found the PICā€™s Maximum is not even listed, and the notes mention an IOH of 3ma, Vdd=4.5, which would drive enough 7135s to make us both silly, so Iā€™ll just go back to paying attention now, and try to stop wandering into RF territory (good catch) anymoreā€¦

Dim
(PS: if you replace ā€œLEDā€ with ā€œIndustrial DC Motorā€ you may find another field of opportunity to plowā€¦)
edit due to total brain f#rt in the one sentence that mattered

Another thought about efficiency:
I am going to use this with Nichia-219 LEDs, which have a higher Vf. That means the LEDs are less efficient than XM-Ls, but i donā€™t
have to worry about efficiency issues with a linear driver (vs. buck). Most of the inefficiency is bundled inside the led, and thereā€™s not much more voltage to lose in the 7135 :slight_smile: