Driver Shimming --- Making a Small Driver Fit in a Big(ger) Hole

Hey guys, hoping to get some tips on shimming drivers, especially where an appropriately sized contact board isn’t available.

Obviously, the appropriate materials will change depending on the amount of shimming needed and overall sizes. I’ve seen copper washers and copper tubing used. What else?

What are some methods and sources for materials?

I have the same problem have a 13mm driver to fit a pill accepts 15mm, couldn’t find a solution :frowning:

Copper sheet material soldered onto the edge of a contact board to extend out and thicken the effectiveness of the contact board - been doing this. Not elegant, but effective when just a minor extension is needed.

Here is another method that could be used if the driver is close to the pill driver shelf diameter.

I bought thin copper washers and ground down the inner and outer edges until it fit perfectly. A contact board works too, but it doesn't give the driver a good heat path.

+1 here! 007, saved me some major headaches with this one….was just too easy!
(I have even done it without the soldering part, just wrapping the copper strand thru and around, twisted it and was done - great for a quicky!)

Thanks!

A thin slice of copper pipe works. If you can’t find one the right size, which you probably won’t, use one that is a little smaller or larger and cut it and stretch it or cut a section out and bend it smaller. If you need to you can use more than one if you need it to be a lot bigger. Just go to any hardware store and they will likely cut it for you. My hardware store cuts them for me and just gives them to me for free.

I have made a contact plate yesterday too.
I used a copper ring which fitted perfectly in the pill, then I grinded a contact board to fit in the inner side.
Added a bit of 5minute 2k epoxy.
Soldered wires on and voila. The trickiest part was to solder the new contact plate to the pill, as the heatsinks makes the solderjoints ugly and I can’t heat it all up because I have soldered the negative contact wire to the ring, too…

I have a copperringsortiment, which comes in handy all the time with flashlight modding.

I've ground down P60 pills with a file before...

...and soldered those into the existing light to allow 17mm drivers to be used...