Driving an XPG=2

How hard can I drive an XPG-2 (s2) emitter? Seems to me the nominal drive current is 1.5amps.
Advice please?

Think at the heat and the size of pill…

High Amp only with best cooling…

There is a member here trying to make a Y3 300kcd with a g2. I do not know how hard he is driving it, but he has built all his own drivers.

You should be able to do 4.5 amps no problem if you need to. What are you planning to put it in?
Edit: if you dedome the xp-g2, based on the results of many BLF members, you will probably have a hard time getting more than ~3a from it with a single cell. Something about the dedoming process seems to raise the forward voltage.

As far as I'm concerned the raise of voltage upon dedoming is a myth.

Well, you know far more about the subtleties of LED’s than I do, so I’ll back down… :wink: :beer: Out of curiosity, though, what makes you say that?

I have never seen hard figures about it, just 'I have the impression', I did recently a dedome of a XM-L2 3C with voltage measurement before and after (it is in my XP-L test thread somewhere), and did not see it happen. Further I can not think of a reason how dedoming could physically result in higher voltage. This all makes me wonder...

Perhaps the percieved brightness loss makes people want a tangible reason. BTW: I've never seen a very high output loss from dedoming either. Maybe because I file away the flat part of the reflector on my throwers to get the led better into the thing. I've read 20% somewhere and it has been repeated many times but in my measurements it has never been more than half of that. So I guess YMMW ? I have no answer. Just observations. :-)