Durable flashlight

Hi, I’m new to the site and had a couple questions. I’m an electrician that mainly works in industrial settings and I am looking for a quality durable flashlight that can withstand the harsh conditions I am in. Looking for a bright, rechargeable, sturdy flashlight preferably made in USA or a non Asian country. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Rechargeable in the light or in a separate charger?

Not made in Asia is really going to narrow the field and probably raise the price. What’s your budget?

Not too long ago, i was in the same place as you, wanting a light that would stand up to hard abuse. I do a lot of drywall, and dust and grime getting into the electronics killed a couple of my under-$100 lights.
I was tired of lights that died after a couple months. I did find the answer, and at first i was put off by the price, but it’s definitely worth it.

First some general info:

1. POTTED: When it comes to water and dust resistance, you definitely want potted electronics (sealed in acrylic) if you expect it to last over a year of daily abuse. This is not a feature seen regularly in under $100 lights.
  2. FLOOD: I’m guessing you do mostly close-up work, and rarely need to see something 50 yards away, so you definitely want a wide, dispersed, flood beam, not a thrower. The wider the better.
  3. CRI: Some LED’s have a blue-ish tint to them, and red objects will appear to be black. You do not want to miswire black to red, so you NEED a high Color Rendering Index. Any light with a CRI of less than 90 should be unacceptable to you.
  4. Pocket or Clip? This is a matter of personal preference. Clips are removable. I’d get one, and see if I like it. You probably want to stay away from crenellated bezels.
  5. 500 LUMENS or better. This means AA batteries are out of the picture. Not enough voltage. You need 18650.

Durability:
For extreme toughness there are really only two brands (in my mind at least). Elzetta and Surefire. Both are made in the USA.
Both are the types of light you would use “If your life depended on it.”
Surefires are pretty damn good, I had two, but I sold them, because Elzetta is probably the toughest light on the planet.
I carry Elzetta Bravos. One of my favorite things is to hand one to somebody and say, “Go ahead, throw it down the street as far as you can” One of them has been thrown half a dozen times with no damage except scratches to the anodizing. I’m not saying you can’t do that with a surefire, but i have absolutely no fear when i whip an Elzie at concrete. (surefires have a glass lens while Elzie’s have a solid acrylic lens.)
You really have to experience this. There are videos online of Elzettas getting dropped from helicopters, shot point-blank with a shotgun, but the one that got me was where they took it completely apart and put it back together, WHILE UNDERWATER.

Rechargable?
These brands are both designed for police or weapon use, where your life might actually depend on it. Both mainly use CR123 “primary” batteries. CR123 are more reliable, and do not have the “protection circuit” of most rechargeable batteries. These are not rechargeable. (surefire does have some rechargeable models)
The way to get a rechargeable elzetta is to buy from Oveready. They bore out the inside so that an 18650 battery will fit.

My final recommendation:
Elzetta Bravo purchased from Oveready. 600 lumens. (900L if you use two 18350)
Flood Lens
Hi-Lo Tailcap
Standard Bezel
Ugly Elzetta Belt Clip that will clip on a stepladder pretty well. Stops roll around.

Two Panasonic NCR18650PF 2900mAh batteries. This hybrid IMR lithium manganese chemistry cells are considered safer than lithium cobalt cells as they are less likely to go into thermal runaway and catch fire or explode and so are unprotected cells. Also half the price of 3400mAh cells.
Just about any 18650 charger will do.

SO you will be close to $250 by the time your done. Is it worth it? What I tell people is…
“If you buy an Elzetta, you will NOT be sorry you did…. until the day you lose it, at which time you will be very sorry.”
or
“the only problem is who do I leave it to in my will?”

If that’s way out of your budget i have another suggestion, a really great light for the money, a true bargain, is the BLF A6. Get it while it’s hot.
Code now public! BLF A6 FET+7135 Light. Short 18350 tubes and Unanodized Lights Available BLF A6 XPL 1600Lumen 7 / 4Modi EDC LED Taschenlampe 18650 Sale - Banggood Deutschland sold out-arrival notice-arrival notice
Get version 5A. The one thing that you must have is a High CRI of 90 or higher. You want a color temperature of around 4000k, if you get up around 5000k you will not be able to tell black from red. Flood is priority number two. The other things i mentioned sure would be nice, though.
———————————-

Links for newbies.
http://lygte-info.dk
http://www.flashlightreviews.ca/cpf.htm
http://www.surefire.com/illumination/flashlights/p1r-b-peacekeeper.html
http://www.elzetta.com/modular-flashlights/bravo-series-2-cell-body.html
http://www.oveready.com/elzetta-flashlights/cat_86.html Bravo out of stock right now. Wait a couple weeks, they’ll be back.

Uhhhhhh interesting first post to say the least, and an interesting screen name to go with it

1. Welcome to BLF

2. I’m sure the elzetta is a fantastic light, but yikes on the price. I would regret that immediately

3. It absolutely does matter what charger you buy

4. The A6 is a nice light as well and indeed a great bargain, but durable and reliable aren’t the first things that come to mind

5. Warmer color temp does not mean more CRI. The 5A is a nice tint, but not high CRI

Do I smell camouflaged advertising? Where did that all come from?
Did I just click the wrong link and was transported to CPF?

… I must be … delusional…

Pilotdog… I’ve been over at CPF, this is just my way to give small thanks for those bargain BLF A6’s I gave away at xmas.
I’m enjoying the hell out of the one I kept for myself.

Solarforce L2 variant would do the job as good or better for 1/5 the money.

Same thing I though but didn’t want to say anything because I wasn’t positive.

Since the OP hasn’t responded to my original question, I’ll suggest buying from Pflexpro. Yes, the aluminum hosts are made in china, but he does everything else himself.

http://www.pflexpro.com/default.asp?m=0

Surefire 6P

You’re right. Pardon my manners. I must be in a grouchy mood tonight.

Welcome to BLF to BOTH of you.

Get Richard from Mountain Electronics to build you a nice Convoy S6 with a Nichia 219B.

Convoy S2 modified to 1Amp (3 chips) with an 80CRI or higher LED, 18650 battery, good charger.
As mentioned Mountain Electronics or Illumination Supply are US retailers. However the body and circuitry are made in China, but the LED chip should be made in the USA (north Carolina I believe), the battery would likely be Japanese, and the charger would probably also be made in China, but you may have some other countries of manufacture to choose from.
If you order from Mountain Richard can modify to 3 chips for you and give excellent advice on the best parts for your needs

Thanks a lot for the info, I appreciate it

Sorry pilotdog was busy, thanks for the response though. Probably separate charger. I’m willing to spend some money. I know this is a budget site but just reading some of the forums I figured you flashaholics would steer me in the right direction. USA made is preferable or a European country, I’m an not overly interested in products from low wage countries. I do however understand that it’s almost impossible to get non Asian made electronics. So I am flexible

I know you said non-Asian, but check out ThruNite. Not super pricey, but not super cheap either. I’m also in construction, commercial plumbing. We’re doing Wal-Marts(ground-up) and other big buildings, the one right now is 1.2 million square feet. With no electricity yet…so I had to research to find a good light. I went with the ThruNite Archer, 18650 version. It’s held up GREAT! I’ve dropped it a few times already, works perfectly. 850 lumens lights up the area like the sun, when needed, otherwise low or medium is surely enough. $50 shipped, and I’m extremely happy with it.
All that being said, if I needed a bombproof light, it’d be Elzetta or Surefire. But I’m not going into combat or doing torture tests so I’ll save the hundreds and buy more cheaper lights.

I have to second the PFlexPro lights. Randy builds every one, and backs his stuff up. He has a polymer lens available (shatterproof) and the multiple modes of his driver allow you to select modes you want. High CRI LEDs are also available. All of his electronics are fully potted (both sides, not just the one you see). Check out his website and shoot him an email with what you want, he will give you some recommendation’s…

I’d try a Convoy S2+ from Mountain Electronics Pick the 3B or 7A tint for better color rendition you will need a battery and charger with shipping it will be under $40. The light and charger are made in China, but they are sold be a US company that does stand behind what they sell. I’d be surprised if it isn’t durable enough for you, if you do break it, PFlexPRO rebuilds lights base on that host that should be much more durable.

Do yourself a favor and really take a look at what these guys are saying - Pflexpro:

-Chuck

Here I was with Olight Warrior popping into my mind, a potted flashlight, now that is durable, tricky modding though :wink:
(for that price, you could however get 12 x S2+
buy 2 now, 1 as spare in the toolbox and get a new one when the first (IF the first brakes) down even if they only last 1 year you are set for 12 years and do not have to think about putting a flashlight in your will ;))

I am also an advocate for the higher tint bins, 5A and up. For a work light, in a wiring cabinet or other up close location, the warmer tints really cut the glare and “flashback” from shining them on something close.

There is nothing wrong with cool or neutral tints of course, I like them in different applications like EDC lights or Throwers, but on a long use work light, they are like using a laptop on full screen brightness in a dark room… You are good to go, until you look up to go walk out of the room, then a wall of blackness as your eyes are adjusted to the full brightness…

I would take a warmer bin over a higher CRI led in a cooler color, it is just more pleasant a color and I have seen no tint outside of UV end of the spectrum that makes colors look so different as to cause a wiring mistake.

There is also something to be said for The Millers point of view, there is a price point that makes a more “disposable” light (or ten of them) a serious option…

Good luck and let us know what you get and what you think about it…