DX XML bike light $32.39 (updated with pics)

I'm sure it would be a good one. Nova cycles for frame parts

Forgot to hit "quote"

It looks big enough to swap in a multi emitter mr16 ~40mm quad board. Ledil Rocket optics, lots of light. Btw, I mount lights under bars.

sounds like it would give a ton of light!

I looked at the beamshot in the link and I'm not wild about the donut. I really like the smooth beam with tir optics though sputtering the reflector might work. The price is amazing but from the comments this might be more for those who like to tinker vs those who prefer plug & play. Let us know what you find when you crack it open. Some cheap lights are glued/rivited together and do not allow easy access( virgins, and likely to remain so). I hope you get an "easy" light.

I am looking forward to getting this, albeit in probably 3-4 weeks (I hate the wait!)

I have no issues opening lights up to see the inner workings, and this will be no exception. I've been wanting a bike light for sometime and have considered building one from scratch. But with this host, I will be much further along to start with.

Thou's beamshots are rubbish, there is no donut (at least not as pronounced), I posted my own beamshot somewhere here!!! Found it :)

This sounds interesting, but I guess that will be a tight squeeze, didn't accurately measure the inner diameter of the casing but the glass "optics" is 39mm wide! Maximum that will fit is about 39,6mm!!!

The triple XML w/driver being offered by PiolotPTK from this post would probably work.

He's designed it to make perfectly with the CUTE-3 optic.

awesome idea, I just have to have one

P.S. Update about the bike light> shipped from China 05/02/2012, should reach me in 5-6 days :D

He just posted prices on his sales thread. Probably out of my budget range, but looks to be top notch electronics and workmanship. Well worth the $$ I'm sure.

Update on my XML bike light purchase - just got notice it has arrived. 15 days from order to delivery.

Picked up my light from the post office this morning and took some pictures.

Overall impressions/observations

• Very nice light for the money ($32.39) including a 4x18650 battery pack with holster, charger, and headstrap. Seems to have mod potential, but is still great as stock light. Only issue is that for a bike light, the beam is way too tight (as many have commented on).
  • The head is much smaller than expected
  • It came in a nicely organized and padded box
  • Battery pack measured 7.4V upon arrival - (expect 8.4V when fully charged)
  • Output is better than an XML T5 modded Sky ray 1JC8 driven at 2.8A (measured by ceiling bounce)
  • Head could be modded with one of these or something similar to provide massive flood.
  • Glowing tailcap (nice feature)

Inside look...

Pill held in place with retaining ring which unscrewed easily. Insulator ring snaps snugly in around emitter

Pill removed

XML star had ample heatsink compound. Held in place by pressure of retaining ring and reflector.

Underside of pill with driver (looks like pressed fit and soldered). I was not able to remove (yet)

Has integrated switch (hi-low-strobe without memory)

View of large inductor on upper side of driver

Head with pill removed. Looks like ample space for modding

Green tailcap led lights up when battery plugged in and during use.

Measurements

Reflector ~ 36mm wide x ~18mm high

ID of head near top ~36mm

Depth of head ~42.5mm

Hi mode

Glowing tail cap

and glowing tail cap will turn red when charging is needed

This lens has worked wonders on my OP reflector one from manafont: http://www.amazon.com/Angle-MagicShine-Gemini-Lupine-Headlight/dp/B004WLCLQY

It really stretches out the hotspot and beam horizontally without wasting light diffusing upwards and downwards, turning a pretty cheap bright light into a really useful (seemingly much more expensive) proper bike light. I really can't say how much it has improved it's utility, the beam now spread over the whole area in front like dual headlights on a car, and is not just a concentrated spot jumping from left to right at each turn.

It also has the added bonus of not leaving a dark splodge in the centre just below the hotspot when it starts to fog up on colder runs.

Saw that lens too and it looks like a very quick and inexpensive alternative to doing a new mod to produce a floodier light.

Here is an animated gif comparing the standard lens with the elliptical "wide angle" lens

Noticed that tonight. Nice feature!

No plans to use as headlamp, only as bike mounted light.

Got them today, people from customs opened one box,
guys next time use scissors or a knife and not
meat chopper,
totally destroyed the box...

Updated post #54 with comparison of std and wide angle lens

Just came back from the night MTB ride using an old P7 Magicshine and those lenses. Very good to be put on handle bar. Not so good to use on a helmet or you have to get used to it.

Several days ago I got an idea to make a remote switch for this light. I thought to pull additional wire through the hole on the body and through the pill, drill a hole through driver and solder it to integrated switch. On the other end of wire I would solder same 4-pin switch and make some holder for it!!!

Only problem (looking at this picture) is that the driver is crowded with components and there's not much place where to drill a hole!

Even if this is half the light my fluxient is, its still a hell of a deal, my fluxient is brilliant, although using it on high on the road results in cars pulling over till your past… :8)
On a dark canal tow path its just awesome, and in daylight its visible from a good 150 paces away, at that range the bike itself is hardly visible but the little sun pulls the eye in, I love it.