East-92 FET swap ?

I don't know anything about flashing drivers and such, but I got some 70N02 MOSFETS from RMM anyway.

I got three East-92 drivers from FT that were good, so I ordered some more and they were crap...2.2A -2.4A. I wondered what would happen if I swapped FETs.

Nothing much, a bit, but no YOWZAH DD. I got about 3A on high. Is there anything else I should be doing to enable the 70N02 MOSFET better? Im over my head here and thought I'd ask. It seems waste to have these drivers taking up space.

Did you change the wire from the driver to the LED when you put the better FET on there?

No. Should I?

What FET came off there?

The very first FET Driver I built (on a 105c board before getting any of the BLF OSHPark boards) was using a FET I stripped from an east-92 and it ran pretty good, I doubt the FET its self is restriction on the crappy east-92’s, its most likely the programming or some other component. Have you tried changing / adding resistors or anything?

Like WarHawk mentioned I would definitely replace the emitter wires if your wanting to mess with it any more.

Are they tiny? Then yes.

There is a thread on this topic around here somewhere.

EDIT: I guess this the thread I was thinking of.

It’s most likely got a sense resistor limiting current, stack a similar value resistor on top of that one or bypass it altogether. And if it’s got smaller than 24ga wires I’d put at least 22 ga on it.

Got a pic of the driver? That would help…

Also need a direct high current path from B+ To led+. On some boards the vias and traces are insufficient.