Easy-to-assemble and inexpensive first DIY light?

Ebay is a horrible bad place for a noob to play ,,,there isn't a chance in hell of stumbling into some great deal that 1000 budget boys have somehow missed .. it's the very reason budget light exists ...to share the pain and the joy ..Like a bunch of skiers all over the hill and sometimes running right down the same ruts that another member is sking is the best place to be . the guys who answered your question are doing some of the nicer mods on the better hosts with the best results ..Following exactly what they are doing will produce a good light .. the ebay c8's are hugely hit or miss with some so bad there is no fixing them [[ the reason why people told you to buy the xintd from int outdoors ..Ebay is wreckless .. the best plan would be to shop a bit conservitive ly from some of the better vendors ..int ./out cnqgoods / fancyflashlights ...and fasttech.....another great move is when the whole forum jumps ..."jump with it " :p some great deals are fast and furious ..you need to be ready to .....jump ..

http://www.cnqualitygoods.com/goods.php?id=1808

http://www.cnqualitygoods.com/goods.php?id=1497

http://www.cnqualitygoods.com/goods.php?id=1765

Nw xp-g2 xiangzhu? I like your thinking. Sneaky bugger! 8)

Obviously, ebay is a gamble. That’s why I keep my gambles small there. :wink: I’ve got high hopes for the C8, but I’m not going to let everything ride on that. If it works out well, awesome! If not, at least I can get a good idea of the form factor and maybe pull a useful part or two out of it for use on another project.

So far, I’ve learned a ton from all the great input on this thread. However, I’m not looking for “this is the light I built so you should too” (though I started off asking for examples). I’d rather learn and figure out what I want and why. I took what I’ve learned and assembled a couple hypothetical builds. Because I’ve followed so many different links in the past couple days, I didn’t realize right away that those builds were pretty close to a couple that were suggested, but I guess that means I’m taking my lessons to heart. And there are some very good odds that one of those will be my first DIY. That’s not a done deal yet, as I am talking to Boaz about a few items via PM as well.

All that being said, I am proceeding cautiously. I don’t have a ton of money to throw at it, and I’m concerned about committing too much to one line of thinking. The C8 I bought may or may not work out at all (and that’s ok), but the first DIY (which I hope to have done around the same time as the C8 arrives, if not sooner) should be a good, solid light — a great introductory light that will last me a long time…even though I’m pretty confident that I won’t stop there too long.

I’m just trying to say that I appreciate the advice, and I’m certainly not going to do anything counter to that. However, I don’t intend to deliberately produce exactly what someone else already has. If I wanted that, I’d just buy one. I’m not learning if I don’t make some decisions (and potentially mistakes) for myself.

I think most maglite are under 200 lumens. Not sure about the newer ones but the Magelite 3D LED is 131 lumens. The 9 LED is like either 50 or 100 lumens at best. I’m only guessing on top of my head from stats posted around here in some threads.

Here’s a link u can check yourself. Maglite Flashlights and Lifestyle Products

Awesome. I asked that in my introductions thread too and by now just assumed nobody knew for sure or cared to answer one way or another. For that matter, I’m really beginning to care less because I’m starting to see how ratings don’t really have any basis in fact. However, the huge collection of data by this community is very enlightening (can’t help myself). It really shed a lot of light (please stop me) on my whole understanding of brightness. Also, I have a feeling that my own perception will be influenced by being r/g colorblind so ultimately, all of it is going to be meaningless until I really start playing with different setups.

Saying all that makes me sound a tad ungrateful. I’m not. Thank you so much for answering my question! Every answer brings me closer to the level of understanding I’m hoping to attain. I feel like I’m repeating myself, but this is one of the most helpful communities I’ve ever joined. It’s not just a big collection of information but a willingness bordering on eagerness to share that knowledge with anyone willing to learn.

I’m considering changing my signature to “You guys are awesome!”

Yea I know how u feel Boris. I ask question on threads and get thread jack all the time with people who like dont’ even post revelent posts concerning the thread. Which really makes me feel like they are just forum personality or pitching products at you like some type of seller.

Those cheap 9 LED lights are more like 30 lumens I believe - definitely not 100 lumens! Also, it hard to judge by lumens alone. A hard driven XR-E (i.e. Jacob A60) will only be about 300 lumens versus a hard driven XM-L light (i.e. P60 3A XM-L) at +/- 850 lumens, but you're comparing a thrower vs. a flooder. It's kinda like comparing apples and oranges.

Here's a thread with numerous lights tested including some Maglites.

-Garry

Yeah it's a great light ..

but he wanted a builder so I linked to the host //with a driver and anw xpg2 it's ust a better version of the christmas special xiangzhu

Nw xp-g2 xiangzhu..:P that's a mouthful I just call it a d4 built right

Gords we need to stop having this discussion it's clear we like the same light ..how about next time we see who can link to it first :)

There is a thread by MAtch where he looks at three host from cnqgoods and speaks pretty highly of all of them ..When you said you were interested in a c-8 host I thought of this thread where he builds all three .. the d4 is one of the hosts he reviews and i'm not ashamed of riding on the coattails of others here on blf ..I have lots and lots of lights that are pure crap that I bought on my own:P when the common wisdom was the c-88 was a classic beast ..I was happy I jumped ..

I think one trick is look at who you're listening to and follow their lead ..I have had a few people I quietly stalked and did what they did ..i did it because we had the same thoughts going on as far as what we wanted ...Gords1001 is a classic example ..Match is another ....the reverse is true too .I won't name names but they have a totally opposite opinion of what i think a great light is.

If you're a modder or a builder than every light is a host ..you'll find a way to mess with every light you get ...or send it packing because it's not worth messing with .

Imagine the frustration of poor Match when he finds a light that is perfect right from the factory ..:P

i try to keep every light i own under 25$ so it means I'm looking for solid ,wellbuilt hosts/lights for 14$or less ...guess what !! they are rare .There isn't anyone giving away old lights just because they have an old emitter in them ..Sadly it just isn't how the chinese vendors do business.. So it makes it less likely that you are going to be walking where someone else hasn't already been .

follow the gord

Um, I don’t think my c8 upgrade solution was all that different……

But yeah, its a pretty safe formula. What you could do is keep an eye out for a host that would take a 3up 20/35mm board and optics for an xp-g2 tripple build, the extreme runtime host chi-x likes is a good possibility, possibly with the dry turbo driver. Hmmmm…. :bigsmile:

Boaz, Well said, and I like what you alluded to there at the end!

-Garry

BorisTheSpider, I just remembered this post of beamshots I did which shows a 2D incandescent Maglite, 2D LED Maglite, Lowes Task Force 2C, and KD C8 to give you an idea how a C8 compares to off-the-shelf lights (at least in the US). Note that I have corrected the distance to that shed as 150 to 200 feet now.

-Garry

That link is broken, Garry. I’ll poke around and see if I can find it on my own.

I think I’m just about out of questions for now…

OK, here’s one. When looking at a host (or a whole light), and the dimensions listed, how do you know what size driver, emitter, and reflector it will take? I mean, some of them list compatible parts explicitly and there are some standards, like the P60 and C8 hosts, but what about other, non-standard or new things? Is there some formula for figuring it out based on the dimensions listed (e.g. “head 40mm”) or is it just a “best guess” until you get it in your hands?

I am really enjoying the beamshot comparisons — especially things like similar setups with different emitters, or the same emitter with different setups. I really dig the mouseover comparisons the most. Beats scrolling back and forth. So yeah, keep those links coming.

Oh, and Boaz, please let me know if you didn’t get my PM. I’m not sure if I may have done something wrong when sending it.

Unfortunately, unless someone you trust has a light in hand to take measurements, no, you can’t predict what’s inside. As an example many if the Cngq hosts list a 16mm star, but will take a 20mm one…

The answer is to build up a stock of parts, once you find what you like.

I like the 6*7135 driver’s as they are good for xp-g’s, you cab add chips for xm-l, they give the modes I like and fit many single cell lights. I have 20mm contact boards for adaptations and I’m finding what emitters I like tint and bin wise, so I can hopefully mod as I recieve.

There are then more special builds, two cell, larger hosts, odd set ups, I don’t keep stock for those as such.

But it is nice to get an edc light that takes your fancy and be able to tailor it to your preference (tint and modes/output). Or only have to buy a host kit, spend a short while and you have a light that suits.

Sorry! Here ya go.

-Garry

So I went back and forth a number of times, trying to pick a host and components. Unfortunately, that got halted when this cold snap came through and increased my energy budget needs exponentially. But there is some good news. My ebay C8 arrived, sort of. Had to send it to a brother’s house because they don’t do PO’s and I can’t get mail at my house (very rural). So I’m going to pick that up tomorrow. Also, I’ve learned a lot thus far, but I have a couple more questions.

First off — I’ve seen it asked a few times — why can I get a full flashlight for just a little more than the same host? I mean, not necessarily a cheap flashlight and a good host, but sometimes the same brand. At that rate, I don’t really know that it’s worth it to start with an empty host. I mean, if you go with a couple different drivers, pills, reflectors, and emitters (to try two setups), you’re looking at $30 or so. Alternatively, I can pick up a decent light, a second driver, pill, reflector, and emitter for maybe $35 or so. [Actually, both of those theoretical builds include Fujik]

Second — and I may have asked it before — is there a way to identify a P60 host? I’ll look at different lights/hosts and sometimes the review just casually mentions that it’s a P60. Is that just a situation where I have to just have it in my hand to know (or find someone who already has it), or is it distinguishable by something else? If I ask the vendor (like Fasttech or Wallbuys, etc), should they know?

Once my financial situation levels out again, I’m going to go into this a lot more full-bore. In the meantime, I may sneak a small purchase or two; complete lights probably. There are a couple I’ve got my eye on.

I don’t want to fail to mention how grateful I am for all the great responses. I’m loving the community here. You guys are awesome.

if your not sure if a host is a p60, you could ask here and im sure someone will know for sure

you are better off buying a complete light, unless you already know exactly what you want and its not available. from there youll get an idea of what you want from a driver. driven harder, different modes, regulated, hi PWM… also, you may want a cooler or warmer led tint, different type of led. may want to change from an orange peel reflector to a smooth or vise versa….

that, and youll end up with spare LEDs, drivers, pills… you will have backups and spares if something goes wrong or you want to experiment with things. you will pay basically the same for an empty host as a cheap 502b with xml, way more in some cases… if you like the p60 format, you can step it up to a better host at anytime

my thinking on the subject, others may think different

Yep, that is exactly what I was thinking. Backups, spare parts, testing, tweaking, personalizing. I’m drooling already.

I really want to get some P60 or zoomie next so I can compare the form factor to the C8. I really like the style of the C8 - the big reflector particularly. However, I think I’m going to like the more uniform width of one of the others better, and I may even like the functionality of a zoomie a lot. We’ll see.

ETA: Just started a new thread — it’s a list of P60 hosts. I think I included all the suggestions from this thread, but please feel free to add more, here. I think it would be valuable to others just getting started too.

UPDATE: I got my ebay C8 over the weekend. I have nothing to compare it to, but it looks good to me. The lens is glass, the reflector is plastic, and I’m not sure what the switch is rated at. I have yet to take everything out but only because I haven’t had the chance to pull out my little pliers and tweezers and such. I also haven’t found my 18650s yet, so I ordered some just before the weekend. They should be here in a couple days. I did try running the light with a 3X AAA setup, just to see it. Holding everything in two hands was a pain, but I saw a little action, so I guess it was worth it. Now I’ll wait for the batteries before any more playing. The glass lens seems a little rough to me so I ordered a new one. I want to push this light a little more (and choose the modes) so I ordered a driver (the 1750mA Nanjg). I don’t like the idea of a plastic reflector, and want to experiment between OP and smooth, so I ordered one of each of those. In other words, I’m spending more than I intended to a week ago, but I am doing a fine job of spreading it out. When it’s said and done, I think I’ll have a fine C8. Oh, and I promised to experiment with some baking techniques, so I’m going to start with that too. Man, I hope it doesn’t get too ugly. OK, maybe I’ll just start with the bezel.

Also, after getting my hands on it and playing with it some, I’m on the fence about the form factor. I’m just not sure I can make an appropriate holster that accepts that big head without putting the lens in danger. A P60 is likely in my future next. Just going to have to decide on my favorite host. Ideally, I would do the same thing I did here and get a complete light to screw up customize.

Quick, mostly masturbatory update.

Some of the items were out of stock when fasttech went to ship, so I missed out on the reflectors I wanted. I did get one smooth one, but it is about .5mm shorter than I think it should be (donut-shaped hotspot). I also got the driver, the (AR) lens, and the o-ring to replace the one I accidentally baked.

So naturally, as soon as I got home, I plugged in the soldering iron and fiddled with disassembling the ebay C8. Took a bit of effort (and a third hand) to get the leads desoldered and soldered to the new driver. I didn’t get Fujik, so the thermal grease will just have to suffice. Got everything re-assembled and BAM! That sucker is serious.

I settled on 1750 mA as I didn’t want to go crazy with overdriving or anything like that yet. Just wanted to try my hand at things. Also, mode memory is everything I hoped it could be. I chose the Low(5)->Mid(30)->Hi(100%) setting because I just didn’t like blinkies and I’m not certain enough about the others yet. Ultimately, I would have learned to live with blinkies if I could have had mode memory. Next time, I may choose to go with just 1 or 2 mode, but 1 mode still seems like a real commitment.

The AR lens probably isn’t as good as an AR lens could be, but it is visibly more transparent than the original, so it stays. I may place a spacer under the reflector to make up that missing .5mm to see if it helps at all. I like the rest of the beam so much the donut doesn’t really bother me too much. We’ll see.

Long story short, I like the C8 more than expected. EDC will be a challenge with it because of the massive head, so it may not end up in that role, but it will be around for a while.

I’m working up a shopping list for my next purchase(s), but finances are really tight right now so the next light may be a little further away than I would like. Still, I have a couple ideas I’m refining for when I can pull the trigger. And I won a zoomie to play with in the meantime.

So, to shut myself up, I just want to say THANK YOU to everyone who posted not only in this thread, but all over the forum because I love this place and you people are awesome!

I`ve bought the same ebay C8 and want to modify it from 5 mode to 1 mode only. Is this possible?

We want to see pictures or it didn't happen!!! Wink