eBay advice needed

Hi there RC :sunglasses:
I have purchased alot on Ebay and it is a gamble there. Anything automotive mechanical or electrical, lithium batteries, and used electronics of any kind is high risk. If your PS3 works good and the controllers are fake and they were stated as genuine and you paid a fair price and you are not happy, then send it all back and start over.
However, if it were me, I would get the $15 and try to fix the one you have as suggested by ” derfyled ” in post #5, this is your cheapest out.
Good luck, and by the way, we drove thru your area on our way to Oregon once back in 2012. :+1:

If you and seller can’t reach agreement on partial refund the only thing left is to send back everything. This is what paypal and your credit card company will tell you.
I do think if ‘not as described’ seller is responsible for return shipping.

I would see how much its going to cost to send back to him. Then they can choose between losing 15$-$40 s/h and selling again or just give you back 25$ (or whatever you accept)

Not to be Captain Obvious, but those are the only two choices so far that the seller seems interested in: either return the bundle and undo the whole sale, or take the 15bux and apply that to buying a new controller.

You can’t force the seller to refund you the price that you feel is right, but what he feels is right. He might think that 30bux is over the top.

As for not responding, he might feel that what he offered is entirely fair, and that you’re the one being unreasonable, and simply doesn’t want to get into drawn out “negotiations”.

So… I’m not sure why undoing the whole sale is “not going to work”, as it puts you in the same position as you were in before buying it. You’re made whole, and haven’t lost a penny. What am I missing?

I think if RC returns the PS3 his family is not going to be to happy with him returning their new toy, that’s why he doesn’t really want to return it.
That’s what I gathered anyway.

Is it not possible to ask for a partial refund in an EBay case?

It’s been a long time since I had to bring an EBay case, but I know AliExpress can do partial refunds (I just had one in a dispute last week). When opening the dispute, you specify the amount you want for the partial refund and either the seller gives you the money or AliExpress step in.

Of course, there’s no guarantee you’ll get the amount you ask for – AliExpress might reduce the partial refund if their representative decides you’re asking for too much – but I’ve always got what I asked for.

I don't want to return everything.

Just the defective controller.

eBay doesn't seem to have a useful mechanism for my situation.

Wellp, like The Stones said back in the Paleozoic, “You can’t always get what you want”.

You can rewind completely to undo the deal, or take the 15bux. At least you’re not being offered 50 ebay points to make you go away.

But hey, ya wanna tilt at windmills, more power to ya. I just don’t see this ending well. <shrug/>

No, I'm being offered $15 to go away when I should be offered $30 to make me whole.

I don't like being ripped off, so I will take all of the steps necessary to possibly avoid that situation.

Ever bluff? don’t let the seller know you don’t want to return it. like i said if it goes back they have to pay shipping 3 times on the item instead of 1 :money_mouth_face:

I've already told the seller that the PS3 works fine, but I can bluff a little.

I can act like I'm willing to return everything if the problem isn't taken care of.

Actually, no. “Making you whole” is you sending back the whole package, on the seller’s dime, and the seller giving you back every penny you paid.

Problem is that you don’t want that. And chances are (and what a lot of us are gently but frustratedly trying to get across to you) is that if you say “no deal”, then the seller, and ebay, and paypal, and your CC issuer, will tell you to take it or tough noogies. That’s about as good a deal as you’ll get.

Look, let’s put it this way. You buy some earmuffs with a vipon for 10bux. They’re defective, one of the earpads is ripped or coming unglued or whatever. You can send ’em back on the seller’s dime, get back your 10bux, and you’re done.

But if you bitch’n’moan, “Hey! There are no more codes, coupons, nothing, and the regular price is now 50bux! I don’t want to spend 50bux on a replacement! And replacement pads that I like are 50bux, too! Gimme 50bux instead of the 10bux I paid, then I’ll be ‘made whole’!”, y’know what’ll happen? Everyone reading your plaints will start laughing hysterically.

No one cares about your replacement value, or how much you’d have to spend to get replacement pads from someone else, etc. You want to be made whole, rewind to zero, send it back, get back what you paid, done deal. Everything even-steven, easy-peasy, and bob’s your uncle. That’s all you’re entitled to get (but you’re just not accepting that as an answer). Sorry, but it’s just the way it is. “I don’t want that” ain’t gonna work, and ain’t gonna get you anything better.

You wanna try, go right ahead, but…

Such hostility!

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

I dont want to discourage you either way but I feel like if you keep pushing from their point of view, they have two choices.
They will ask for you to send it back and give you a full refund to be done with you or they will offer what your asking for to be done with you.
The $15 dollar refund will probably no longer apply if they want you to send it back.
The seller knowing his going to be getting back a bad controller with the PS3 that he will either have to replace or sell the whole thing at a cheaper price is in your favor.

I don’t think you are being ripped off. You said in a earlier post that the PS3 was expensive but just what you were looking for. I don’t know what a good deal is for those things as I don’t use them. If you got what you wanted and are happy with it. Taking the $15 and hunting for a new controller doesn’t seem like a ripoff to me. Even as some have mentioned. Fixing those controller are sometimes possible and easy. My son’s wireless Xbox whatever remote was acting goofy. A mini screwdriver set, some youtube videos and an hour later it was all fixed up.

We aren’t certain that he purposely sent you a defective controller. Thinking the worst of people in normal everyday situations will eventually scare you off of people permanently. Enjoy the PS3 that you are otherwise very happy with and take a simple solution to a simple problem. Maybe you can even fix it yourself and pocket the $15.

No hostility here, at least. Just trying to keep you from needlessly spinning your wheels.

Plus, I amuse myself watching those judge-shows, and what people try to get away with before getting snapped back to reality.

Yeah, sure...

By the way, when you try to explain things to me with analogies, your analogies never make a lick of sense.

They're more of a word salad than an analogy.

He may not have known that the controller was defective when he sent it, but so far he's refusing to make it right with me.

That says a lot about his character.

racoon city…Take the $15.00 and just buy the $30.00 controller.
DO NOT look at it as a loss, but paying to make your family happy which is PRICELESS.
Please do not make it more complicated than it needs to be as all of this worrying is costing you more as in your metal and physical health.
ENJOY LIFE!!!

Here’s what I’d do…

He’ll spend more to pay shipping plus repairing/replacing the controller… before he can re-sell it for what you paid.

So I’d tell him he can cough up $30 OR eat the whole thing when you send it back. Put the ball in his court with the full knowledge you WILL return it down his throat if he doesn’t make you whole. He claimed “like new”… remind him of that. Then remind him that he’ll loose more than $15 if he FORCES your to return it on his dime too boot.

I hold every seller’s hand to the fire when they lie… he lied. Make him pay for it one way or another. If you can make his dumb ass do math, he’ll probably give you the $30. If not, like LB said… reset and go buy another.

And remember… You can’t fix stupid.

Hey RC,

Several suggestions have already been posted and it looks none of them makes you happy…

Damn the torpedoes and decide what you think is best, and do it!