EDIT: worse than I thought "Make" your own UltraFire 18650s!

Hi, i Would like to make something like this. Buying laptop batteries is one way but again who knows what is in those chinese laptop batteries. That is first time I heard for ( http://www.aliexpress.com/ ) this side. Can you reccomend me maby 1500-> battery?

Oh dear !

If you buy a Panasonic battery , install the protection circuit , it then needs a wrapper ...

Such is life ...

Problem is when some people dumpster dive and then re wrap junk batteries , and sell them .

With so many new batteries entering Ebay etc every year , and counterfeiting so rampant ,

**In the video, the guy bought authentic, new old stock HP laptop packs. Those are good cells.

But you really need to know what you are doing to construct a pack that will have as much power as you require. I would advise against trying.

On second thought, I wouldn’t even try this!

hi better start a new thread :slight_smile:

there are lots of different kinds of 18650 cells. almost too many to choose from, which is a good thing.

first you have to determine how much current your ebike requires. most cells for laptop use are only good for up to 1C e.g. if cell is 2600mah then it could only continuously supply 2.6A. cells in this category like Panasonic NCR18650B 3400mah offer the highest capacity albeit at low currents only

if you need more current then you have to look at some intermediate power offerings like Panasonic NCR18650PF or Sony US18650NC1. these offerings have a balance between capacity and current. they’re around 2900mah

now if you need even more current then look into high-current cells like Sony VTC5, LG ICR18650HE2, or Samsung INR18650-25R. they’re around 2500mah

those taobao links are gone…maybe they got caught and shut down!

Yeah, some links are gone, some are changed. Here is one that is still intact.

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.3.0.77.saBKb5&id=10193523421&

Nothing is really changed in the marketplace though

So far I have bought ALL my recent lithium ion batteries from Mountain Electronics or Illumination Supply and have not had any problems. The exception was a recent batch of surplus known relatively low capacity Sanyos from a surplus seller well known to some members. There has been a thread discussing them. Bought for low drain singe 18650 lights. For $1.75 each too good a deal to pass up. With all the shipping hassles from Chinese sellers at the moment, plus the fake batteries that some have sold, why bother with them?

Just saw 18650 Westinghouse 2000 mah 3.7 volts in Walmart garden section for their solar lights.

The problem is these are”reverse sleepers” expecting a Ferrari, but has the pinto engine in it

And people are wondering why the increasing reports of these high current vaping rigs blowing up with authentic wink wink rewrap crap from China…all for the sake of a few bucks