Elektro Lumens Catadioptric 'Ultimate SearchLight'

No. the diameter of the catadioptric optics are 60mm (2.362”“), the MTG-2 has a bezel diameter of 51.816mm ( 2.04”).

Wayne

Looks like you are maybe referring to a Maglite bezel. Serifus was referring to the Cree MT-G2 LED.

EDIT: and I think the answer is still no. The hole in the cat optic is 7mm, the MT-G2 dome is bigger than that.

That’s a great looking light and your work is excellent.
I thing it needs to be run as near to max as possible. It’s a nice
tight beam… It’s for show…Make it show.
IMHO

I’ve got a few Sinkpad 20mm boards coming. When I get them I’ll mount the LEDs and experiment, see what the output will be. I’ll probably offer the Catadoptric with the option of multi-mode or DD. I’m supposing DD would be significantly brighter. The drawback of DD is that it will be single mode. However, for those who MUST have it ABAP, DD would be the choice.

I also received another order of the catadioptric optics, but I won’t have time for perhaps another week before I have time to build any more of these. When I do have time I’ll build 8 of them, which will be for sale. Probably powered from the 26650, and be either DD or multi-mode.

Wayne

if you mean DD as in no mcu at all, then that’s true, but as seen around here many people implement DD through a fet driver, so that could be an option

Wayne

As usual Wayne a magnificent light. I see it appears Wilson photo bombed your second last picture. Looks like he is just hanging around.

Nice, first pictures I’ve seen showing off the catadioptric optic. I’m sure you’ll be able to move your 8 initial 26650 units pretty quickly.

such an incredibly thin lens :open_mouth:
is there a reason why the head is so much deeper than the optic?

These optics are around, those that have them charge way too much.

Wayne

Mainly the size is related to trying to make it look like a flashlight, not a bell or plunger. Imagine a 3” x 1” head, on a 1” diameter body that is 4” long. It would look like, uh, well, weird? Also, if I actually do run this thing direct drive, it will be pulling 5A or 6A, depending on the Vf of the LED, and it will be getting very hot, and will need all this mass, and I might also need to add some cooling fins.

Anyway, the body screws into the head perhaps 1 inch, comes right up to the optics base. On top of the optics is a acrylic lens and o-ring.

Wayne

Sweet light and a reason price I think, nice job and thanks for sharing!

Could we ask for some wall beamshots? I’m curious of the beam profile.

The beam on a wall is square. Here’s some beam shots:

Wayne

Love it, especially the last one. :bigsmile:

Man is that ever a cool looking light!

I’m not sure, but the optics does look like Ervin Anastasi’s drawing: Both the silvered and unsilvered parts of the flat front reflect and form a virtual image in front of the light, which is focused by a parabolic reflector. The reflector has a much longer focal length than would fit in the space, with single element optics, and it catches most of the light. Some light is reflected more than once by the center section and lost to the beam, and some hits the back reflector directly. The latter is not much light, but it is that with the warmest tint.
It is really more appropriate to a telescope or camera, or to a very compact light source, because it has nearly the diffraction limit of a single element system. An led flashlight is not bothered much by diffraction and does not even need a single focal length.

Here is another idea simply illustrated. (The rays are not accurate here.)

Fresnel’s lighthouse optics had reflecting elements at the top and bottom, so the lens wrapped around the source. Those designs, made rotationally symmetrical for a single beam, would catch almost all of an led’s light, though the part emitted near straight forward would not be focused into the small spot because of the shorter focal length. They would be cheap to mass produce in plastic, but hard to make one off.

I really want that optic…
I didn’t see a mention of a seller and the price of the optic. (Or did i miss it?)

You could make a very flat lamp with this. :slight_smile:

It’s Carclo’s only 60mm optic - Part no. 10158. As elektrolumens mentioned, you may run into some availability problems…

unique light,

run it hot, sink it well, dedome it with a 26650, the money will find you

‘IF’ it turns out I’m able to buy a larger quantity of this optics at a reasonable price, I’m not opposed to the idea of selling off a few, to those who’d like one. Finding a suitable host flashlight might prove difficult, though.

I’ve always wanted to make a flat flashlight with a belt clip. I may make something like this at some point. .

Wayne