Elektro Lumens Catadioptric 'Ultimate SearchLight'

I’ve always wanted to own an EK light

Anodized and sealed in natural color is still a good thing.

You’ve really given me something to think about, for sure.

Do you have any of these for sale at the moment? I don’t mind the 18650 tube, I have 18650’s that perform as well or better than most any 26650, if not quite up to the capacity of the few big dogs. I would, however, prefer the 26650 tube for what the future may bring for the bigger cell. Do you know if your Moli fits it? The 26700? I got a couple of those from you a while back, would be able to switch around and use em in this light if needed.

Emitters and drivers get rapidly outdated and can be swapped out. Someone that buys an elektrolumens light knows he/she is getting a rugged, finely machined, hand built light that only a handful of other people in the world possess.

To me, his lights exude a tough, no nonsense manliness. Something, that I just don't feel from mass produced lights. It's sadly rare to come across a fine, hand-built product made in the USA these days.

I’m making these to order, 26650 or 18650, either way, doesn’t matter to me. If you are serious you can email me about it: waynej@elektrolumens.com . Probably I will not make that many of this flashlight, if I cannot find a reasonably priced source for this optics. Most of my customers like a balance of narrow beam and wide angle. This beam is mainly very narrow with little side spill. I find it fun to play with, but practical uses are limited.

I can make it to fit the 26650 if desired. AW 18650’s are basically Panasonic relabeled, according to my understanding. These 18650 match or best many 26650 on the market (not all, of course.) MNKE is making a pretty good IMR 26650. As far as I know nothing touches the 26700a as far as safe constant high amperage output, but the new IMR are coming closer. I usually make a flashlight that accepts the 26650 to also accept a 26700a (26700a is longer.) I like INR batteries, as they have more stable output, having some nickel added to the chemistry.

Wayne

Very clever optics. Looks like there is a cone to bend light away from the angles that would reflect more than once on the silvered part of the front window. It acts almost like a retro-reflector light with twice as deep a head, but the led is where is is easy to cool.

Post #18 has the following picture:

This shows how it works.

Wayne

That’s why DBCstm finds the BLF17DD (&related) drivers so practical. High can be DD brightness and then all the other modes are fractions of that dictated by PWM duty cycle.

Any 17mm circuit will work. I use what I use as it’s what I have in stock, and it works quite well. There are quite a number of good circuits, that one could use. I’ll take a photo of the heat sink, and it can be seen how easy it is to swap out.

W

Nothing wrong with using what you’ve got. You’ve been talking like a choice must be made between modes and DD, that’s the only reason I pointed that out so specifically. I trust your earlier statement that the lights are made to allow for modding. Pics are still welcome though, I’d love to see the guts of one of these since I may not end up with one.

Here’s a picture of the long version of the UltimateSearchLight, of which I call ’UltimateSearchLight-L. I have a regulation circuit powering it to 3A, 4 modes brightness. It also can have other forms of regulation, or if a 1 ohm resistor is used, power level is about 4.8 amps.

Wayne

i really like this redesign of the fins, much more aggressive and space-using.

did you have any luck finding a cheaper source of lens?

Fins are not just for looks, but yes, much more aggressive looking.

Never found a good inexpensive source for this optics as of yet.

Wayne