Emisar D3AA is available now

If you specifically ask for it, yes. Likely it will be an actual checkbox option on the shop page soon enough.

I believe that has been answered just a few posts back..

Sounds like a good idea. The sm4050f and sm4550e in particular seem like desirable bins. Maybe even sm4050e, depending on how warm it looks.

Or a tint ramp between sm573 and sm273 should be good too.

According to Clemence those bins are not available unless you order very large quantities.

The yields are also very low since theyā€™re picked from regular production. Basically you have to be an extremely good customer ordering a ton of LEDs before theyā€™ll even consider the request. Weā€™ve never had any success in past attempts to order the special chromaticity bins.

I did direct comparison of Hankā€™s Linear+FET driver and the new Boost driver in two otherwise identical D4SV2ā€™s. Hereā€™s a runtime test with both set as close in brightness as I could get them. The boost driver definitely provides a sizeable increase in runtime. More brightness, runtime, and regulation testing in my full review.

Thatā€™s actually very impressive! However I would not pair it with throwy emitters since it will limit the performance quite a bit.

And Iā€™m surprised that the FET driver even at 3.4V can produce more output than the boost driver.

Is this a known issue with this driver or was it your specific unit?

I havenā€™t seen anyone else test these new drivers yet, so I donā€™t know. I do know that I also have a KR4 FC40 with a 12V boost driver and it does not exhibit this behavior. It works just fine at 3V.

Hmm, thatā€™s unfortunate. It still looks like an improvement over LH351D though.

Iā€™m not sure it would be great in a D4 or KR4 because itā€™s a relatively floody LED and these lights are already quite floodyā€¦ but it occurs to me that it would probably be awesome in the angled D4.

So Iā€™m thinking about doing an angled D4 with tint ramping from 519A sm273 to sm573, and maybe an 18350 tube to make it a bit lighter and less off-center as a headlamp.

Question about D4v2 boost driver. I know Hank says itā€™s not compatible with E21A and each LED will get 2A max with the boost driver. Can I specifically ask to build a D4v2 boost driver with E21A but I will modify the firmware to limit the current? For example I can limit the ramp to 75% so maybe each LED gets 1.5A or so. Just wanna know when Hank says itā€™s not compatible, is it simply because of current (2A is too much for some LEDs) or is there something else. Thanks.

Itā€™s possible that the MCPCB is the limiting factor.

The driver isnā€™t the problem. E21A needs a completely different MCPCB.

Hank has parallel and serial MCPCBs for the common 3535 LED size, but E21A doesnā€™t fit. So he has to make an entire set of boards just for E21A, and currently only has the parallel version. Parallel doesnā€™t work with boost.

Thanks for the explanation!

Do you think it would be worth getting the D4V2 with the boost driver? Iā€™m curious how it would compare to the D4SV2. I like both, but the pocketability of the D4V2 is so nice. Iā€™m in between a Zebralight or a boost driver D4V2 for my next purchase.

Yes, totally.

It changes the game for the D4V2: you basically get a light thatā€™s with an excellent UI, beautiful emitter choices, and efficiency that exceed similar Zebralight lights.

Looking at reviews it seems that the D4SV2 has approx 50% more sustained lumens than the D4V2, but difficult to fully compare due to differences in calibration and testing conditions. The increased efficiency for the boost driver should result in roughly similar sustained brightness in a boosted D4V2 to a non-boosted D4SV2. I still think it will be no better than an S2+ for sustained brightness though, as the S2+ has more thermal mass.

KR1 dark grey, and cyan colors are back in stock.

thank you!!

Copy pasting my answer from reddit :

It depends if you value really high short turbo output, or value higher sustained output and/or longer lower output run times.

Moonlight is also a consideration. In my testing, the new Boost drivers end up with a moonlight around 0.8-0.9lm. Whereas the Linear drivers typically have a moonlight around 0.1lm. Moonlight is a big deal for me, so in an EDC Iā€™ll be going with the Linear driver personally. The boost driver is very compelling though, and makes the decision difficult.