Emisar D4K, is it really the D4V2 killer?

It is if you need efficiency, otherwise you give up what made Emisar special in the first place- the massive burst of light you get when you run them wide open. For most of my Emisars, that’s what I want. I’ll probably pick up a couple of boost driver lights for camping though so I can go a while longer without a battery swap.

I think it is an iterational step and a good option for people who have gone into 21700 vs 18650. I think the DT8K will be much more of a killer to both the DT8, D4, and in some ways the D4K.
The D4S stands alone due to better throwing optic and as mentioned the extended tube is great as well.
I would have bought a D4K 2 years ago, but it came far too late for the enthusiasts and people who do actual work with lights. The only thing I might be interested in is an e21 mule.

They’re never going to be the same light, so no, not a D4V2 killer, but a nice option for those who like the general format but want more juice. I love mine.

I got mine with the boost driver and with the intent of having this be a main daily working light. It’s fantastic for that, generally. Merlot’s comment about the fet giving more light at any voltage…well, yeah, of course, but it’s not like this light doesn’t give lumens to spare. The reduction on the top end or tit-for-tat at a voltage level compared doesn’t mean that you aren’t getting enough light. It’s still plenty freakin’ bright. I’m a guy who likes turbo and don’t complain about sustained run time, but I don’t miss the little bit extra that the boost driver scrubs on this light, nor the comparatively higher moonlight (frankly, I would never expect four emitters to give a real moonlight anyway…).

I don’t dislike any of Hank’s lights that I have or have had but the D4K became one of my all time favorites right away, really do enjoy it and it’s a true workhorse for output that isn’t just brief use…while still being very compact and with great quality light unlike most worklights on the market. I only had one D4V2, bought secondhand, and I gifted that to a friend not long after getting it…very nice light but it was just too small for my tastes. I like the extra length of 21700 (and really love the 26800 in the fatter D4SV2).

I would imagine Hank will keep manufacturing the D4V2 right alongside the D4K for a long time unless people just totally quit buying them.

I have both. When you see them side by side and hold them it is clear one is not a replacement for the other.

Can you get by with just one, yes however it would be a difficult choice to make

1 Thank

I’d take one of Vinh’s Mateminco MT07’s with seven W2 emitters over the D4Sv2 with four, but he said he won’t make any more because it’s a pita. It appears to outperform the D4S. Wish I’d have jumped on the bandwagon when I had the chance, but I wasn’t aware of it at the time.

Personally depends on usage. I have both but I like the size of the D4V2 better for daily carry since runtime isn’t a concern. If I used my lights for my daily job I’d want that extra capacity of the D4K. To me the extra length is little noticeable in the pocket but not drastic.

1 Thank

I just got a D4v2 over a D4K because I wanted it to be an EDC light, while the extended length might have made it too long for some pockets and bags I have been able to carry my D4 in. I think the DT8K is going to displace the DT8 (to the point I think I would only consider a DT8K over a normal DT8, but I also don’t consider a DT8 an EDC-able light due to the head), battery length aside, just because it’s already less pocketable as well as having more need for the larger battery.

I just make sure my D4 has a reasonable charge in the morning, and if I know I might be needing extended usage, I can bring a case with 2 more 18650s that has the advantage of being a separate object so can be more shuffled to fit available space, while still being able to keep each in smaller pockets.

Isn’t it due to a lack of physical space on the board? Especially in the D4 size lights.