Emisar d4s help - now just an angry rant - closure

Wow, it’s a fairly high cost budget light to give up so easily on it.

I’d wait till I’m cooled down and then have another go at identifying the issue if I were you. There has so be a relatively easy fix if there is nothing physically wrong with the light on the outside, it’s an opportunity to get into some modding maybe too?
I fancy mine it’s just not exactly EDC sized or I’d carry it every day. Cant wait for the FW3A :sunglasses:

You are all correct.

Mtn elec might have looked at it, maybe it deserved another look when I wasn’t mad.

Either way, it is no longer a tool that I can put any faith in…so it’s gotta go.

A lot of folks around here joke about being a tint snob and refuse to carry ugly tint lights, I understand, I am a dependability snob.

I get where you coming from, suppose we all got things we wont tolerate. Man I’d take a broken light like this and try fix it.

how sad :frowning: it shouldnt have died from a fall like that…

This makes me sad :frowning:

I’d wait until the new 26650 Convoys come out and nab one.

Did you check the battery is ok , try another cell in it.

Ya. Checked battery, o rings, tightness all that good stuff.

Unfortunately, in my frustration last night I pulled the led and aux board out……without unsoldering the power wires.

Still fixable but not by me. RobertB is gonna get the chance to play with it.

I’m up in the air on convoy. For no reason other than my disappointment in emisar.

The c8s’s look good. A c8 with 26650 might be really good.

I dropped my ZL from the roof recently. Over a 12’ drop onto concrete. No issues, just a ding on the bezel.

I can’t remember how many times I have been REALLY hard on my SF and streamlights (marines/20yrs LE). Never had an issue.

Honestly, I think I took for granted that I bought quality lights.

I love lights and get a kick out of this forum. The d4 and d4s were my first budget type lights that I purchased. I have been given some junkers. I am Not that thrilled with d4. Hot little battery eater, very limited use for me. The d4s was growing on me with the larger battery and super ui. That was short lived.

So I was thinking about buying three C8’s of various tint (just for fun) and a BD06. End up almost $100. That would take care of my 26650 and I have a ton of 18650s.

Or I could buy one zebralight.

I just can’t keep thinking that the ZL will outlast the other 4 combined.

Better check out this link, it happened to my dropped Nitecore:

Get a light you can depend on from BLF member Randy Brogden ……https://www.pflexpro.com/default.asp

All the Surefire users I have talked to have given me stories like they tried to use their [insert other brand of flashlight] as a hammer or as a pry-bar and it broke, but their Surefire survived when subjected to the same abuse. Not to say that dropping your light off a coffee table was abuse — a handheld flashlight should at least be able to survive a drop from the height of a person’s waist, IMO, preferably from a person’s shoulder height — just that you might be onto something with Surefire. I’m sure that Surefire making their flashlights that durable has to do with their use by law enforcement and military agencies. I’m not totally sure about Zebralights’ durability, since the pogo pins holding the battery seem a little less fall-proof, but they do seem pretty solid otherwise.

Howbow when my light (brand redacted) just tipped over onto my laptop’s keyboard (granted, a well-known flashlight killer), and just went boom. No workie.

Got a free replacement, but it’s still a bit unnerving.

Cool light. I don’t have that one but have an off brand in bright cherry red that I got a couple of years ago for $10.00. Runs off two lithium 123 primaries. Has the triple O rings on both ends and the slider switch. Those slider switches are very cool!

Malkoff, Elzetta and Surefire for dependability and the others for lumens and fun.

Lol….yup…
Heard that a few times.

Closure for this thread…

I should have allowed mtn elec the opportunity to look at or replace the light. But my actions closed that door. Maybe Robert can fix it and will share with us what was wrong with it.

I moved on by spending money…
Purchased used zl sc64w and sc64c on the other site. Also ordered convoy bd06, c8 and c8+.

I feel better already!

If I can fix it, I’ll mail it back to you. I think you will enjoy those ZL’s. I have a few of them, and love them

Just to put a final update on this thread. I received the light and checked the LED boards. All checked out good. Testing the driver, it was only sending a half volt to the emitters. Talked to Hank and told him what happened and he immediately said “Driver”, giving me the impression this isn’t the first time this has happened to a D4S. So I ordered a new driver and a few rubber switch boots.

The bezel had a pretty deep ding in where it hit the ground, so I stripped the anodizing and reshaped the bezel and polished up a bit. About mid March, the driver finally shows up. Soldered it all back together and the flashlight is back in business.

I offered to mail it back, but he insisted I keep it. Thanks David, was a fun project!

Here’s the finished product.

RobertB,
That was so generous of you and I salute you! Glad you got it to work!

I like mtnelectronics a lot and have ordered from them many, many times and I’m not slamming them at all but I really doubt they would have helped you.

I ordered some cells from them awhile back and one was leaking. Another member here also had the same cell leaking that he ordered from them. Both of us emailed them several times about this but received total silence. We weren’t asking for refunds, just wanted to let them know their stock might be compromised. Again, total silence. Just wanted to say.

If I were you RobertB and even though smithd1 said not to, you should have sent it back to him repaired before he had a chance to refuse. Even though you did offer to do it, and again, I salute you, it would have been a wonderful ending to this thread! But in the end it is!

smithd1 wrote: Now I have an unused 30a 26650 that has no use. Any recommendations?

=

Spare for my box if you like Chuckle.

Just buy another single 26650 cell torch.

Imalent DN35 or 70 come to mind.

VERY Nice. “before their time” torches.
When sw modified for visibility/feel.