Emisar D4S review

I got my maukka calibrated lights. D4s xpl hi 5000k is 4700 lumen @ turn on. Just some info…

Got my grey D4S XP-L HI 1A and find it displays my sorta-white wall more true than my XP-L HI 3A to my old eyes.

After our flood in 2011 we had a lot of work done including painting. My wife picked a very pale light beige labeled “Peach Sorbet.”
Well, the lil bantam rooster contractor hired by our restoration company refused to use anything with that name.
My wife went back to the building supply company and had them relabel everything “Navajo White”….no problemo!

Definitely don’t look at the emitters in lightning mode, don’t ask how I know . . . . :person_facepalming:
fortunately it was only my D4 . . .

Even just thinking about that gives me the urge to rub my eyes.

after the first 10 days (and nights :blush: ) with my new babies I’m still in love !

Nichia 5000K, XPG 4885K, XPL 4000K, XPG 5700K

Nice collection! Which are your favourite Led options?

Hi! :slight_smile:

I just wanted to order one for myself but then realized that there is no pocket clip option on intl-outdoor. Does that mean that there is no pocket clip for that lamp? If so, does anyone know a clip that fits the D4S? That would honestly be a reason for me to not buy it, as I wanted to edc it with the clip on my belt (just as I do with the D4 and virtually any other flashlight right now).

Thanks and thanks TK again for your great work. Every time I use my D4 it’s hard to switch back to other lights as their UIs just seem so frustrating in comparison to the D4.

The delay to off is fast enough that it’s not even worth mentioning, imo. Barely feels like there’s a delay at all.

+1

I’m not aware of any pocket clips which fit the D4S. It’s pretty wide, and heavy.

Otherwise though, it’s a nice practical upgrade from the D4.

I calibrated my TA tube with maukka lights… i now got 4450 lumen for the xpl hi 5000k version…

Those are the emitters I have in mine…

Thanks for the info!

I thought your tube was always reading on the high side, it is nice to see our numbers are starting to align nicely. I get 4370 on startup for the XPL Hi.

I just got my maukka calibrated lights…

I did read that, but for a while you gave me a luminosity complex. Like my beams were not big or bright enough. :smiley:

I got 4510 with blue Liitokala and 4470 with Shokli, at start, XPL-HI 5D, self made tube, calibrated with Maukka lights

This is off-topic, but…

I took more pics tonight. On the left is a Fireflies ROT66 219b, and on the right is a triple LH351D 5000K 80CRI in a 10507 optic. The camera’s white balance is set to “daylight”, meaning 5000K.

I really like the beam on the ROT66. It has the nicest shade of white in any of my lights. But I don’t like this particular LH351D. It just looks so… green. In this pic I’ve under-exposed the shot to make the tints more visible.

In this, the left is an Emisar D4 219c 5000K with the old 80CRI emitters, and a frosted optic. Middle is ROT66 219b. Right is a Nichia 219b 4000K in a BLF A01 copper. White balance is again set at “daylight”:

I got the Emisar D4 with 219C 90CRI and also another Emisar D4 with XPL-Hi 5D.

I have been using the “shine flashlight thru a small portable fan blades” method to detect PWM (I don’t have optical sensors or oscilloscope to measure PWM), just to detect if it has PWM.

With the Emisar D4 (stock firmware) with Nichia 219C, the flashlight is cooled down (unused for a day) and put in new fresh battery, then double-click to Turbo, shine the flashlight thru portable fan blade, I immediately detect PWM. At first I thought the thermal stepdown was happening immediately.

But rght now you mentioned it is limited to 80% of FET, so perhaps that explains why the stock D4 (quad-Nichia) in Turbo (double-click) will have PWM even in max output mode.

I tested the same thing on the D4 XPL-Hi, and double-click to Turbo, shine light thru portable fan blade, and I didn’t detect PWM (but PWM will then detected when thermal stepdown starts happening).

So, does the above confirm that the D4 Nichia has (non-100% FET, ie. the 80% you programmed them with), while the D4 XPL-Hi receives 100% FET (No PWM on Turbo, at least before the thermal stepdown)?

I suppose the same thing will happen with the Emisar D4S quad-Nichia (which would also be limited to 80% FET for max turbo mode)? (I’m ordering the D4S Nichia from Intl-Outdoor.)

To play Devil’s advocate TK, WHERE is the shade of white in your pictures? I see tinted beams, all around. No white to be found at all.

That makes sense d_t_a, because as far as I know there are only two positions in the ramp where there is no PWM in play, the 100% 7135 level and 100% FET level. With the Nichia 219C having such a low Vf and requiring a throttling to control heat the FET is not at 100% and so there is a slight PWM.

If you can check it immediately after installing the cell, it should come on at the 100% 7135 level, does it show PWM there?

I put 4 Nichia 219C in my Ti/Cu Reylight X6 with a FET+1 driver and it wanted to pull over 21A from a single 18650! It got hot so fast it was totally impractical, even if it did make over 4300 lumens. Ended up changing that. Not because of the heat, but because I’m at the point that 4000 lumens is simply insufficient. lol It now makes just over 10,000. And yes, heat is a big deal. :wink:

“Big lights for cold nights!”