Emisar D4V2 vs. Sofirn IF25A, confusing LED options

I got bit by the lumen bug recently, but still want to stick to my nice tint and CRI preferences. I’ve started to understand why people like the D4V2 so much. Having a bit of trouble deciding between that or the newer Sofirn IF25A.

I’m looking for a smaller handheld with side buttons. I recently had an incident where a bright headlamp helped scare away a couple of folks who were up to no good, so having a small light that can pack a punch even for 20 seconds is pretty useful to me.

The D4V2 and IF25A are kinda different lights. D4V2 is 18650 only, while IF25A is higher capacity 21700 w/ USB charging and more battery flexibility.
There’s a version of the D4V2 being sold on intl-outdoor with copper that’s very pretty. It’s unclear how much of a trim I’d take on the spec’d lumens by picking the warmer tint emitters, so I’m confused about that.

• IF25A advertised at 3800 lumens with the SST20 4000k 95CRI (is it?)
  • Emisar D4V2 advertised at 3000lm with SST20 4000k 95CRI
  • Emisar D4V2 advertised at 3000lm with E21A 4500k
  • Emisar D4V2 advertised at 3000lm with XP-L-5D 4000k

The newer emitter options on the D4V2 aren’t very well reviewed - comparing tint/CRI/lumens/throw. My other lights are very floody (headlamps and a SP36), so something with a bit more throw would fill in some gaps for me. I kinda wish there was something with the quality and bling of the copper-ti D4V2, but takes 21700 cell, and has USB-C recharging like the IF25A.

BTW, does having a copper head unit improve turbo runtime a lot?

That’s what the intl-outdoor.com website says
OTF lumen output at start-up:

Nichia 219C : 3000lm

XP-L HI : 4300lm

SST-20 6500K: 4200lm

SST-20 5000K: 4200lm

SST-20 4000K/3000K 95CRI: 3000lm

D4V2 E21A is actually advertised @ 1200lm.

I have both; D4V2 E21A 3500K and IF25A 4000K. I prefer the tint and color rendering of the D4V2 but for longer trips I will take my IF25A because it has a USB Type-C port. It’s good to own both lights :wink:

It would be amazing if Hank would offer the D4V2 with a optional USB Type-C port.

I’m trying to resist getting both! When I do buy lights, I do often ask myself if I’d bring the light with me on trips. Not having USB-C charging makes it much less likely especially for hand-held lights.

This might make me lean towards more utility than bling. I guess I’m concern the sst-20 is too green on lows. How’s yours on low?

I posted this just now on Reddit:

Reddit post

IF25A has a really good tint @ medium brightness. Or maybe I’m just really lucky with the tint lottery :smiley:

@Taskulamppu, thanks for that photo. The tint on the IF25A 4000k looks really nice on low. What’s the d-c-fix? Did you take out the SST-20 and add your own?

I’m starting to lean towards the more practical IF25A over the very nice D4V2. But I think the lumen sacrifice on the 4000k IF25A might be too much.

a comment about on board charging

I avoid it because it disables the light so I cannot use it, when it is being used as a charger.

I prefer the Olight Universal Charger

This is d-c-fix: D-c-fix diffusion film

My IF25A has the stock SST-20 emitters but I have removed the TIR optic to make it more floody.

CRI is usually more important to me than a few more lumens. I would avoid the 6500K version of the IF25A.

I want to point out that by removing the optics most of the greener light is lost so the pic isn’t very representative.

Example with a PL47G2 with 4xSST-20 in similar configuration at a lowish output :

Spot with optics : CCT = 3919K (Duv 0.0027)

Spot without optics : CCT = 4471K (Duv –0.0039)

Spot without optics and with diffuser : CCT = 4374K (Duv –0.0028)

edit :

Oh yeah, plus the tint is horrible, I checked it previously on my IF25 but I didn’t note it, it was around duv 0.0120 IIRC.

I have both IF25a versions in the 4000k and 6500k and the first thing I found is that my 6500k model is actually closer to about 5800k. :+1: If I knew I could get the same emitters again, I’d order another pair of these lights in this tint as I prefer the higher tint for use outdoors, but closer to the 5500k range given a choice. 6500k is too blue but often the only choice. So luck of the draw maybe?

I have used both for several hours outside in the garden and yard which covers about an acre. The throw on the 4K model just doesn’t quite give me what I need out there unless I bump it up to turbo… then it gets hot too fast. I set the thermal regulation up at 58 Celsius and also limited the ramping. But I found myself often bypassing the ramp ceiling I had set (where I could keep it in the bare hand). Perhaps this hunting season I may appreciate it more in 25 degrees though… TBD.

The 6500k version is set up the same as the 4000k IF25a I started with. It HAS been my EDC since I got it about six weeks ago. It’s doing better for me than the 4000k did outdoors. Both really do throw fantastically AT TURBO, but the higher tint light gives me a full view across the whole acre running about 70% (where my ramping limit is set).

So for summer use outdoors the little beast has had nightly duty where I’ve hand picked squash bugs for about an hour or two each night most nights this summer with a glass of scotch and D25s headlamp… and IF25a in the front pocket. I’ve got an armadillo and fox I made friends with out there, I pull out the IF25a when I see their eyes reflecting in the field next to mine. They have been LIT up more than a few times. :blush:

Both are great and for closer quarters I do prefer the 4000k light, but not by much. The higher tint IF25a really does have a NICE white beam compared to several other true 6500k lights I compared it to. Both also have a VERY wide flood which I love compared to my C8s and other smaller lights with tighter beams. But they get hot fast and so I’m looking forward to EDCing them this winter when hunting.

IF25A (4x SST20-6500k) vs IF25A (4x SST20-4000k)

the 6500k version is notably brighter, but the 4000k version looks nicer..

comparing the IF25A (4000k) with a 'customized' D4v2 (4x SST20-mixed)

(*D4v2 SST20-mixed = 1x 3000k, 1x 4000k, 1x 5000k, 1x 6500k, average around 4700k)

The parameters in your original post suggest you might want to look at the Astrolux MF01 mini: larger capacity cell, more throwy beam profile but still plenty of flood, USB charging, available in AL with Cu head. I have one with SST-20 4000k and the tint is much nicer than my IF25A (also SST-20 4000k). I understand they’ve fixed the heat transfer problem. It is bulkier and heavier, with the copper head, than the IF25A or D4V2.