Emitter choice for maximum throw?

I’d be all over it if it was available via our normal channels… :nerd_face:

It’s not that bad buying them from mouser or what have you, the real pain is the MPCBs and the hot center pad.

I’ve built C8s with fets with XP-L HIs, dedomed XP-G2s, and dedeomed XM-L2 U41As. The dedomed XP-G2 out throws the XP-L HI for sure. By looks imo, a dedomed XM-L2 U41A out throws an XP-L HI too. I’d have to see some actual test numbers in the same version C8 to convince me otherwise. As I can only go by sight in my own experience. The BLF-TE and C8 are two totally different lights.

To put some numbers on the throwing capabilities of the emitters: for a given reflector or lens, the luminance (cd/mm^2) of the emitter is what determines the throw. The old XP-G2 S4, dedomed, has about 190 cd/mm^2 driven at ~4A. The XPL HI or dedomed XML ranges from 115 to 140 cd/mm^2 at ~5-6A.

The S2 with smooth reflector is a good choice if you want a very small thrower. I made one with the old XPG2 dedomed and measured 40,000cd at around 4A. The stock OP reflector managed only 23,000cd under the same conditions.

Throw depends from optics.
All wroten upper is right for C8+reflector.
If you want to have maximum throw from small ligths like S2, it is better to use narrow tir optics.
But if you are using tir optics, better throw will have smaller die leds. Don`t look at wattage, just on led die size.
I suppose that best leds for throw under small tir is OSRAM leds made for car headlights.

Sorry to the offended users who had to read the scum that was posted in this thread. It is now removed and the offending user has been permanently banned.

Now, back to the regular programmed discussion in this thread….

Thanks for your advice. This was exactly what I was looking for when I created this thread, but I’m not saying that other people weren’t helpful. I’ll have to do some reading about the changes to the production process of XP-G2s to see if they’re still suitable for throwers. CREE’s changes definetly make a decision tougher.
The super-throwy performance of the XP-E2 is interesting, especially at that amperage. It’s a shame it can’t take higher current though.

I don’t get why some people were so quick to anger. I joined BLF to avoid this type of hostility.

You’re welcome. I would like to say that that sort of behavior isn’t normal around here. I mean we’re all human so it’s not unheard of, but most folks here are very helpful and friendly. Plus our mod does a good job of keeping things cleaned up when needed as happened here. Don’t let this color your opinion of the site just yet. :slight_smile:

Yeah, it was basically instigated by one ex-user, and it was indeed completely uncalled for and inappropriate. My apologies for the unpleasant experience, and I hope it won’t happen again.

No problem. I know these things can happen from time to time, even at places like BLF. Your good work is part of the reason I decided to stop lurking here in the first place.

Good to know. I’ll have to keep that in mind.

That’s what I’m trying.

I found an 8° TIR at Fasttech, but the LED cavity is cut for an XR-E (IIRC) and it makes a nasty beam.

The next-best one they had is 15°, which I’m EDC-ing now. It’s lost next to the C8 I just built, with the same LED and Driver.

Is there a really really tight TIR, 20-21mm OD, cut for an XM-L2 (I don’t have an XP-G2)?

I don’t see the S series replacing the C8, but I would like to see how far it will reach.

You are on wrong way.
All chinise 8-15 degrees optics have more than 20 degrees in fact.
Convoy S series flashlights have about 17.3-17.4 head/bezel hole, workable part of tir should not be bigger (or you will loose lots of throw).
If you want to use xm-l2 in small light, reflector is your choise.

There is really no more throwier emitter than de domed old production type of XP-G2 S4 2B emitter (but other old production types of XP-G2 like XP-G2 S2 1A are also good choice )

You can use new production type of XP-G2’s but lux drop(de domed), is something you should prepare to.

Djozz review:

RMM review

What I strongly disagree with RMM is tint shift. Tint shift toward neutral with ugly green pigment happens if you don’t use lacquer like led seal RMM use or diamond lacquer that Vinz use.

Difference between un lacquered emitter and lacquered one is that lacquered will lead to cooler tint because as MEM explained this to me; “anything that can fill air gaps can help aid extraction of blue light that normally gets trapped near phosphor”

So you really can use the new production process XP-G2 but if you for example have old production types of XM-L’s or XP-L’s lying around they will have same performance with bigger dice(in aspheric) or larger hotspot in reflector than mentioned new production type xp-g2.

This change had very strong affect on me…

I am also searching for substitute emitter for old production XP-G2 S4 2B and now I am depending only on you guys, your reviews and testings.

do you know where to buy the smallest angle tir for convoy S ?

Seems no of them will fit it perfectly. Head/bezel hole is 17.5.
I have some Khatod PL136915, it has 17.9mm bezel step and should fit A6 and some other lights.

This optic fits perfectly in my blf a6 :

http://kaidomain.com/Product/Details.S020966
https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10002020/1187501-20mm-15-degree-optical-lensoptic-for-cree-xm-l-led

Yep! That’s the one I’m carrying today in my “S5 Clone”. It’s an excellent (IMNERHO) compromise between the Flood I usually need and the Throw I have found an occasional use for.

I’m hoping to find a TIR that will make a well-collimated “pencil beam” from an XM-L2 in this S series body…

Another fact about TIR that seems to me to be worth repeating, they all tend to blend the weird “Cree Rainbow” into a more-attractive Whitish color. I wish I could find a tight-angle TIR for the C8!!

http://www.khatod.com/khatod/view_news.aspx?2013,10
Optics workable size is same - you can cut bigger one to C8 size, or use smaller one with some ring/tube around.

I would be surprised if an optic beat the smooth reflector in an S2, for peak beam cd. I believe it would come close. When you look towards the front of the flashlight and the reflector is filled with the image of the yellow die, you can’t get much better than that. Anyone taken cd measurements with these throwy optics?