ENEDED

As a TV hero of mine once said, or rather said again and again.

More Power ! :smiley:

Got my Astrolux MF 02 today and mine has problems. Works if I bang it on my other hand when I press the switch. I checked all screws and tightened as necessary. One of the Torx 5 screws in the head is not recessed enough. I donā€™t think the carrier is making good contact. I am going to work on it some more and see what I can do. The light is beautiful and throws well. Great pair to my MF01.

put a 0.5mm sheet in the tail cap should fix issues

I had also to drill the holes in the driver retaining ring deeper so the screws does not strip the threads

Holster with good fit. :slight_smile:
Type: L2060 11x19cm
https://www.ebay.com/itm/300928817196

Despite the problems with turning it on and off, and only being able to use tail cap lockout, I took mine out with me when I walked the dog tonight. It was quite hazy (unlike the previous two times), and the contrast between the tight beam and the spill was simply unbelievable (at least for someone like me who has never owned a light with more than ~150kcd before)!

On the other hand, I also realised how much more practical the NW light of my D1 was for this kind of ambient conditions. Hopefully, Iā€™ll be able to save up for the NW version of the MF-02 while the group buy lasts.

In the meantime, I wish BG would stop sending me a different question every day, and just send me a new head! Last time they asked if I was able to solder a new LED onto the board, which is well above my pay grade ā€¦

Anyone know if Astrolux knows what the problems are on those who got a faulty one and if they are going to fix those problems before they ship the NW ones?

Mine have been in back order over a month now and they even removed the ā€œapply refundā€ button.

Not that I want a refund, just curious if the flashlight are in back order because they are trying to fix something.

Probably. They did the same thing when an issue was found on the MF01. They stopped selling them while they redesigned the driver and mcpcb. Then when version. 2 was ready, they went back on sale.

Definitely gotta exercise some patience with these group buys, lol. Send them your money and maybe five or six weeks later they will send your light. Sighā€¦

Group buys are for the bold. You have to be willing to wait a while and possibly get a defective light all in the name of saving money. On the other hand, if you donā€™t like being a beta tester, you can wait until lots of people have the light and make sure everything is working just right, then pay a little more to get it.

The new products that will arrive in the store, are the v2 version?

Google translator

There is only 1 version of this light. Maybe they are trying to fix the problem right now? So maybe in the future they will come out with a version 2.

It is easy to swap the CW LED for a NW

He doesnā€™t know how to solder. Thatā€™s what makes it hard for him.

BTW, Lexel, do you know who sells xhp35 on a big mcpcb?

It would be nice if some one made a list of drop in replacements / mods

I can do most aside for reflow a LED, and though i have always done most of my electrical work ( 230 V AC and 12 V DC in the car ) then i really am not a electronic buff at all.

As it is now i think there are no upgrade LED for this that will give more reach on the flashlight, but maybe next year some new LED will surface that could make the flashlight do better.
In which case i would prefer upgrading a existing flashlight instead of buying a whole new flashlight, actually this are the only way i could see myself getting deeper into this flashlight stuff.

As it is now i have 5 flashlights and they pretty much cover my needs, and establishing a even larger collection just seem silly to me, not least from a financial perspective as a guy on a limited pension.

Iā€™m sure you could get more reach with a smaller, weaker led. Maybe convert the light to 3v and run a dedomed xp-g2 emitter. Youā€™ll probably get more throw, but less lumens and a smaller hotspot. Not everyone wants that tradeoff just for more distance.

Basic mods are always the same. Driver and LED. Itā€™s practically the same for every flashlight. Nothing complicated about it.

You are right. So I have cancelled my order and wait until all issues are fixed. Having so close GT shipment is other reason for that.

Anyway, when good NW units are available I will probably order again

I disagree groupbuy meant to be beta tester.
Group buy is uniting buying power, so to bargain better price. Just like bulk order.

Correct - in a few months time it might not be a problem, but right now Iā€™d like a working light without having to attempt something that is beyond my skills.

Just received a PM by someone with the same problem, so itā€™s obviously not just a few isolated cases. On the bright side (no pun intended!), after a week of sending emails back and forth, BG have now offered to send me a new head! :slight_smile:

Yeah JasonWW thatā€™s also the conclusion my own quick research came to, so i think its better and just wait and see if a new 12 V LED come around.
As it is now throw are fine for me, and i am not sure i would bother with a mod if it just give a few meters more and maybe a little more spill.

Still i might pick up a new driver to support Lexel and the other guys.

And my research did reveal LEDā€™s i might be able to use in my RC truck in stead of the 5 mm ones i have been using up until now ( using 3S batteries in my truck )
For that use i can make do with modest LEDā€™s as cooling will be a problem, and i would hate to set fire to a little RC truck that have eaten up a lot of my money.

If you wanna keep track of the popular mods, check out Skylumen.com. Vinh usually does some extreme modding. I know he did a TN42 with a xp-g2 as well as an Oslon black flat. He did a Mateminco MT35 with an xhp70.2. He also shows his lumen and throw numbers. He recently put a CFT90 led ($100 emitter) in a TN42, but I donā€™t think he is selling it. Some interesting stuff, but itā€™s not just about throw, itā€™s about a good balance between throw and hot spot size. We are still hoping for a Cree XHP35.2-HI that can be pushed harder for more output. Maybe next year. Lol