Eneloop or Eneloop Pro?

You might consider the Amazon version.

Search on Amazon for: AmazonBasics AA High-Capacity Rechargeable Batteries (8-Pack)

I bought a package of these a while back and they tested above their advertised 2400 mAh capacity. They are made in Japan and I believe they are just re-branded Eneloops (not sure if XX or Pro).

Their price seems to fluctuate, but right now they are going for $20 for a pack of 8.

Well darn, LOL! I already ordered the Fujitsu blacks. I was doing some more research and it seems that the Eneloop and Fujitsu are the exact same battery. And also the Amazon ones. All made in Japan by FDK is what I found.

How do you test the capacity?

Thanks!

Eneloop XX and PRO are different names for the same batteries. (used to be PRO for Japanese market, and XX for overseas, until 2013/2014, when overseas XXbranding were replaced by PRObranding)

Amazon and other brands usually use "older" generation cells, but are still one of the best batteries in the world.
Panasonic Eneloop always uses the latest generations available.

Its been 10 years since eneloop came to the market, and they are still king of the hill.

Cool, thanks for the information!

Youve made your choice, but I will still say that Pro are worth it, unless you drain your batteries very, very often, IMHO there will be no noticeable real life use of additional cycle count on regular Eneloops.

Sure, its 500 cycles on Pro’s vs 2000+ cycles on regular Eneloops, but how often do you plan to discharge and recharge your batteries?

If it is not often and not draining them completely empty, Pro is the way due to substantially higher capacity :D!

Yes, but it’s a continuous aging process, it’s not 100% performance for the first 500 or 2000 cycles and then the cell will abruptly die - so you will have earlier a less performing cell (for what you have paid) with the pro variant (e.g. less capacity, higher internal resistance).

That is why I said about number of complete discharges.
If you dont drain your batteries daily and dont tend to suck them dry then in real life I see nore gains for longer runtimes in flashlights.

I don’t understand your second sentence.

Typo, should have been MORE :D!

Isn’t Google fun! :smiley:

I just bought 8 packs of Panasonic Eneloop Pro AA’s and AAA’s from Amazon for $30.55 and $25.99, respectively. I decided to pull the trigger after buying 4 alkaline AAA’s from the gas station the other night for 6 bucks! If I use all 8 batteries twice, they’ll pay for themselves on the third use, so it made sense. I did see some Amazon branded AA’s, but the ones I saw had much less capacity than these, although they were cheaper.

Amazon stocks the Pro’s, so shipping is quick. Ordered on Tuesday, and they’ll be here Saturday.

Edit:
Amazon Eneloop Pro’s AA & AAA
Wikipedia Eneloop - where I got the chart

Theyve nicely copied and pasted lots of my info into Wikipedia ;)

They, who, Wikipedia users :D?

Hi SLM

To answer your question about testing the capacity:

I used a Maha C9000 set in discharge mode. I don’t have all the numbers, but I did run a test with a 700mA discharge rate and the capacities averaged around 2350 mAh. The variation was pretty narrow - meaning they all tested pretty close to each other. At the same discharge rate, regular Eneloops (bought at Costco - made in Japan) averaged around 1880 mAh. The variation on those was higher. At lower discharge rates, the capacity will be higher.

So say your flashlight draws around 700mA on your favorite level, you would get around 2.7 hours runtime on regular Eneloops and 3.35 hours on the Amazon version of the Pro…. about 40 minutes longer.

The longevity issue should be taken into account. Say you walk your dog and your usual walk is 2 hours. You would be much better off buying the regular Eneloops since they will last long enough to keep the light on for your entire walk and will have enough cycles to last around 5 years. But if you REALLY like to walk your dog and your walk is 3 hours, you’ll be in the dark before the end of your walk with the regular Eneloops. So you would have to buy the Pros and plan on buying another set in less than 2 years.

In conclusion, you can use the dog as an excuse to justify to the wife that you need to spend extra money on higher capacity batteries :slight_smile:

There he is! The Eneloop master himself. I heard that you stopped selling eneloop’s….

Second the above. Or you can get a dog with longer legs and have the best of both worlds :smiley:

Great information everyone. Thanks!

I have some regular Eneloop batteries I use in my transmitter for flying small RC hellis and like them in there.

I have an iCharger 106B charger that will both charge and discharge batteries so I could probably use that to check capacities some time.

How low do you discharge the batteries to check? What voltage?

I have cat so he has short legs… Pros it is, LOL!

1V should be fine, the Maha MH-c9000 discharges to 0,9V under load, but this is the absolute minimum and it doesn’t make a big difference in capacity.

Thanks! I didn’t want to damage a battery by over discharging it.

Are you charging these at 1C? Pushing almost 2 amps into a AA battery just seems too hard.

I just got my AAA batteries in the charger and now I’m wondering what mA to use. I’ve Googled around and have heard of people using anything from 0.5C to 1C. I can’t find the data sheet that says what you’re “supposed” to charge these batteries at. Although it does cite a 950mA Fast Charge here; Eneloop AAA BK-4HCC

And HKJ tested them at 1A here; Test/Review of Eneloop AAA BK-4HCC 900mAh (Black)

I wonder what the best charging rate is?

Edit: All of the above info is for the AAA’s. The AA’s call for a fast charge rate of 2550mA! :open_mouth: Seems excessive…
Eneloop AA BK-3HCC