Essays with TIR lenses on Convoy S2+: XML2 + XPL-HI [Update]

Yup, I do that :smiley: I dig AliExpress everyday for nice (or practical) things, like these lenses, or LEDs or other components. There are lots of stores that seem to be reliable on these lenses (the one you linked to, this one, and other more general stores that have great deals and good products).

I normally use the lenses without the holder, due to 3 main reasons:

- the holders sometimes don’t fit the host in a clean way, or have to be cut/shaved/modded;

- waterproofness, as using the TIR + holders without the glass lenses and the o-ring may be a bit risky if some water slips into the head;

• the centering of LED with the lens, as sometimes the holder damages the led or the wires if centering is not well done (frosted or pebbled lenses do not allow to see the LED clearly below, so extra pressure while tightening may cause damage)!

Overall, if some lenses are good to replace the SMO reflectors, other provide nice floody beams, that for NW or WW tints are very pleasant :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing your tests too! I’ll probably get a lens like the ones you used in your Prime! I have a narrower light that will probably get one of those TIRs :smiley:
Thanks again :+1:

Pardon for digging this old thread.

But I bought some TIR lens from the official Convoy’s AliExpress store.

I can’t seem to remove the lens from the plastic lens holder. Can you give a tip on how to do it without damaging the lens?
(I was thinking of prying it out with something like a screwdriver’s tip, but I’m afraid it could damage the lens.)

Hey, no problem :wink:
Well, I guess they are the same as the ones I have. If you press the lens from below the holder on those little holes, you may take it out without much issue :wink:

That is exactly what I did to remove the optic from the holder. Just pry the part that holding the optic with small flat head screwdriver.

It is possible to make the TIR lens waterproof in Convoy S2+. Get the correct size O-ring

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002417235314.html
Product properties: OD 20mm + 1.0mm

Remember to lube the o-ring before installation. DO NOT wash the flashlight with soap, as this will remove the lubricant and allow water to seep in.