FastTech Convoy S3 (EDC 18650 in Disguise) Thoughts?

I'm still trying to figure out what the difference is between the S2 and S3. I get lost in amp discussions, but I'm trying. So will the T5 5C be brighter with the 2.1a model as compared to the 1.4 model. Also, how much heat buildup are we talking about here with the T5 5C emitter.

The 2.1a 5C model doesn't seem to be available in the three mode option.

I'm thinking the XM-L will help me get a good feel for the 5C tint because of the flood and not such a concentrated hot spot. Ive never had a 5C, and love 4C tints, and thought this light might be a viable way for me to have a peek.

What I noticed is the S3 has stainless bezel and is 4mm shorter than the S2. Different machining on the heads, too. The S3 is the one for me. :wink:

I gotta tell ya, 5C is where things start to look more yellow than vanilla. I really liked my 4B and 4C XPGs. I didn't like my 5C XPG so much. Just wanted to give you a heads up.

That’s why a less expensive light is best for my studies. I’m thinking 5C might be really nice for (fall/winter) dead looking forests and a carpet of dead leaves. Bringing out the browns/yellows/oranges.

I figured the S3 was just a little fancier (knurling/ribs) and perhaps a little better quality body in some way. (EDIT - see JohnnyMac's response above, esp. the stainless steel bezel.)

[quote=Ouchyfoot] So will the T5 5C be brighter with the 2.1a model as compared to the 1.4 model. Also, how much heat buildup are we talking about here with the T5 5C emitter. [/quote]

Yes, more amps to the XM-L, more output - see Match's test results here. From 1.4A to 2.1A you're talking about a 180 lumen jump. (Well, that chart is for a T6, the T5 will be slightly less.) Heat shouldn't be too bad up to about 2A. Should be ok with 2.1A. At 2.8A you'd not want to use high more than a few minutes at a time.

[quote=Ouchyfoot] The 2.1a 5C model doesn't seem to be available in the three mode option. [/quote]

Sure it is! Here S2, group 2 in the driver. Or here, S3, group 2.

[quote=Ouchyfoot] I'm thinking the XM-L will help me get a good feel for the 5C tint because of the flood and not such a concentrated hot spot. Ive never had a 5C, and love 4C tints, and thought this light might be a viable way for me to have a peek. [/quote]

Me too! Just wish there was a T6 3C option. I also like flood vs. throw for "general" EDC use.

-Garry

Both those models have two groups, I was kinda preferring just three modes. I don’t understand the UI too well, maybe I can stay in a three mode group and ignore the secondary group. I hate bumping into disco functions.

Yup, you can stay in the three mode group, just don’t quick press right after the little flash in low mode.

Also, the new S2/S3 listings as gift sets look rather nice. Two TrustFire 3000’s and a single-bay charger that can also charge NiMH 1.2V and 9V cells. The cost adder is around $5-6. not bad! Great for gifts.
Gift Set.

Tumblweed said ” Mine won’t quite accept a protected Panasonic 18650B. Other than that, it’s great.”

Are you saying that the light will not accept Panasonic Protected batteries? Or is is a special model of battery you are referring to?

Thanks,
Jerry

Okay. I added the S3 2.1A 5C to my shopping cart along with some tweezers.

Thanks for the help everyone. I never really understood what I was looking at when I read 1400mA or 2100mA before. Now I do.

I really hate this FastTech site. Yesterday I ordered sixteen high end 18650's from them. Now I need more flashlights so they don't go to waste.

Every day they add something that I like or could use… damn you FastTech!! :slight_smile:

The only Panasonics I tried in it are protected 3400 mAh 18650Bs, which are actually 69.9 mm long. I’m pretty sure if I screwed the top on hard I’d wreck something.
I now use ‘Mars’ branded 2600 mAh Sanyos in it, which are 68.5 mm. long. As far as I’m concerned, that’s the absolute maximum this light will accept. It is my understanding that Panasonic unprotected 3400 mAh 18650B are even shorter, and I have two of them coming.
There seems to be a lot of different dimensions in rechargeable batteries.

I built mine, I used a driver that has a flat contact board, and I didn’t add a spring, keeppower 3400mah cells fit fine thanks. :smiley:

I think that’s the downside of a nanjg driver in these tiny tube lights. Or the advantage of assembling your own - you can control everything by choosing your components to suit yourself, and you get the satisfaction on making something work. :slight_smile:

Thanks. That is a disappointment. I am thinking of ordering one of those lights, and I guess all the models are the same length. I never considered that the dimensions of the same type battery would be different.

Now to decide if I want the light.

Regards,
Jerry

…because they sell it with them here
Maybe the Pana protected cells are a tad longer?

The s-mini clip fits the 2100 and I’d expect they are similar diameter but don’t have one to test. Clip is about 56mm end to end.

It does scratch the 2100, but I’ve managed so far to keep the clip over the scratches so they don’t show very much at all.

Anybody wants to send me a Convoy sample I’d test & review. Otherwise, it sits in my wish list for now. :slight_smile:

Yeah but I don't think that clip will allow for "deep pocket carry" unless you'd place the clip so the end is over the part you unscrew to access the battery. Then you'd have to constantly remove and replace and therefore scratch up the light. Hmmm . . .

-Garry

The S2 looks exactly like the Trustfire T6-A from CNQG i bought two weeks ago T6-A

Mine doesn’t have the 2group-driver but has springs on both ends and works flawless with my
protected Sanyo 18700 (70mm).

Nice feature is the aodized thread (only tailcap) but the cutout in the tailcap for the lanyard is quite sharp
and i would prefer a stainless bezel in front.

Mo

This was what I picked.

XP-G R5

3-Mode

345-Lumen

DEPTH 24 mm
HEIGHT 117 mm

1050mA

$5.57

:wink: Obviously not a Convoy, but it is from Fast Tech. :slight_smile:

Actually I was looking for a mini-zoom with a decent flood and a longer run time. I bought some Panasonic 2800’s too. (nice site)

I think these lights are a terrific bargain - I just ordered another S3 / EDC from Fastteck today, and a pair of unprotected Panasonic 18650Bs, which appear to be considerably shorter. From all I can gather, Panasonic seems to be the ‘premium’ battery out there. I don’t have a lot of faith in xxx-fires….

You have a link to that $5.57 gem?