Fasttech - quality v ****

Ok, what parts @ fasttech are quality and what one’s are best avoided ?

Looking for parts to mod Convoy C8 and 502b, fix a Fenix L0D and shove a triple Nichia 219a into something that’s already on a triple board from IS.
Thinking, gaskets, switches, glass/lenses and thing slike silicone lube, solder, wires etc :slight_smile:

If better items are available elsewhere at budget pricing, feel free to hit me up with links :slight_smile:

Thanks all in advance

Stay away from FT AR lens - worthless. Best seem to be UCL and UCL/p from flashlightlens.com. I'm still not sure of the quality of the AR lens from CNQ/FFL - had mixed results in various sizes I've used. The classic C8 style switches under the better name of Omten sold by FT are not Omten's shipped any longer - use IOS instead. Though the Convoy C8 uses a different size switch, I did some modding of the tailcap to fit one of these. I'd say all their switches now are suspect, while previously they were better. Most FT wire is pretty crappy - stay away. I use Nyogel for silicone lube, and I use name brand solder now (Kester), not Chinese stuff.

General Rule - if IOS has what you want, buy it from there. If not, maybe CNQ/FFL (I mean maybe), after that, its a gamble. In the US of course, we have mtnelectronics.com and IS.

Some items FT is good for, where it can't get too bad. I've bought LED alignment pieces, isolator rings, O-rings, some tools, brass 17mm adapter rings, P60 parts, C8 reflectors, etc. I use FT solder paste for doing copper/brass reflowing of parts, but not for LED reflowing - for that I use the good stuff.

I’m not sure about the AR lenses at CNCQ. I can’t tell much difference from the glass I’m replacing. You can see the purple in AR lenses from IOS right away.

Well, my lumens/kcd before/after tests sometimes show no gain, sometimes show small gains, maybe 3% or so at best. I can't always do before/after because of the nature of the mod, accounting for changes in lens thickness's. I'm sure it has to do with the quality of glass you replace, maybe the change in thickness is a factor as well. There was an early thread on tests performed on these AR lens and they showed nice bumps. This thread is interesting for real world AR lens test results: https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/19458.

While AR lenses from FT are probably not top class regarding AR coating, they are definitely much “clearer” than regular lenses supplied on most cheap(er) flashlights. My experience with UCL lenses is mixed, while lens for tr-3t6 is excellent, 20mm lens developed strange metallic spots on surface after some time…

I can agree that FT is not perfect but they still carry many nice products at very competitive prices and so far I had no problems whatsoever with them.

There sub $2 empty P60 pills are no good either. The components are okay, but very illogical packing so they arrive damaged. Who stuffs loose springs inside of a reflector to ship?

The little more expensive ones are still good I hope, will know for sure in a week or two.

dunno about parts, but the service and shipping from FT recently have been terrible, enough to send me back to DX for some things, which is really saying something :frowning: