[Feeler Thread] Copper direct-connected 20mm triples and quad universal MCPCB boards

This is cool, and stuff. I’ve never considered doing a custom light from scratch before but I like this thread!

What hosts and drivers are you guys considering using with these boards?

I rehosted Aleyx's pictures to Imgur for you. Hopefully you're able to view these.

http://imgur.com/a/wsxA5/embed

Hi,

Thanks! I can see those pics you posted. Perfect!

EDIT: Sorry - mistake - I was so happy to just see some images :).

The ones you posted are for the triple. Do you have similar for the quad board?

It's an album. There should be strip on the bottom to allow you to select the other pictures in the album. Alternatively, if you hover over the right edge of the picture box, you should see a "NEXT" button appear to advance to the next picture in the album.

Ahh - ok, I hadn’t noticed that… it works.

Thanks,
Jim

This is the thread you want: Suitable hosts for 24mm quad optics.

Here's my own pictures. There are 4 pictures in this album.

http://imgur.com/a/Xyvyj/embed

Didnt I see someone in the US stocking these?

I swear I did, I thought it was IS or LEDS.

Edit: Yep found them at Illumn!

EDIT:

IS has them.

http://www.illumn.com/leds-drivers-optics-mcpcbs/led-mcpcbs/20mm-copper-direct-thermal-quad-xp-series-mcpcb.html

So, is there anywhere to get these, or any other direct to copper quad mcpcb anywhere. IS has none, any other place? Any place for anything that fits the 24mm optics?

I also want to know if another run can be done of these. I belive that with a little more practice, i could be churning out quad, and tripple xpl-p60 hosts for less then what vnz is asking.
Edit: I also have some ideas that would make such a drop in more useful then what he is currently selling.

Not that I’m aware of. (in answer to all of those questions) :frowning:

Alexey,

Can the quad board be configured 4s?

Unless I missed something: not without serious cutting of some traces, see the OP.

Two cuts, makes an upside down T shape. Cut the middle pour in half “the short way” and then divide the top half of that in half with a perpendicular cut. Doesn’t seem so bad from here, but I don’t actually have one in front of me…

I found that cutting traces on copper boards all too often leads to shorts to the copper core that are difficult to get rid of. Be very careful not making the cuts too deep!

Agreed. It's doable by I'd rather not mess up a somewhat pricey board with trial and error. I was hoping it could be configured 4S without cutting, but it looks like it was not designed that way.

Thanks for the input.

I can’t argue with experience! I’ve only done 2 MCPCB customizations where that might have been a problem and I got away with them both. I’m not sure that it will help, but I noticed that RBD seemed to be cutting traces on a regular PCB using a Dremel or other rotary tool. Maybe a rotary tool could be useful in this case as well. Personally, I’d prefer to do them by hand with a fresh X-ACTO blade.

I did a few longer cuts in copper boards (the biggest pain was a conversion of a 16mm sinkpad to xml colour) and admittedly it wasn't a tidy job, but copper behaves a bit like a paste: when cutting, you smear it out causing the shorts that only be removed by carefully slicing it away with a very sharp knife, scraping, sanding or filing only makes it worse. Aluminium does not smear out, so you do not get shorts like this.

I used a lathe for one, so clean cuts there with no problem. The other one was cutting up an XM- Noctigon. It was as you said earlier: don’t cut through the dielectric layer and you won’t have a problem. I think my mod was easier than your XM-L Color though, as you had to cut out strips which were much more narrow than those which I cut. I was placing a Luxeon Rebel on a 16mm Noctigon.