Feeler thread: Customized Trustfire Z8 (AA / 14500, BLF MINI-style)

Garry is right. And the OP did not ask for opinions on specs, just if you would be in for what he proposed. I’m in for one.

Well, to some extent it also matters if the product is good if not great. We’ve actually some experience with this over many BLF edition lights, all of which have been decent, but none that carried onto the go to recommendation for a category. Everyone has different goals, but if I were doing this, my goal would be to create the iphone so to speak of flashlights. Not just something that sells a few to a niche crowd but a sustainable product.

For example, the z8 looks ok, but I think the A3 or T2 with the right specs has the potential to sell thousands or more, and be part of a product lineup that define the category.

I mean, as flashoholics we all know the many follies that manufactures make again and again: shitty memory, shitty modes, shitty tints, strobes, and the list goes on for trivial to correct design flaws. If someone would just create a marginally different lineup which avoids these incredibly dumb mistakes they’re pretty much guaranteed long term success.

With that in mind, maybe we could request a run of empty Z8 hosts with a BLF-related marking stenciled on it? :stuck_out_tongue:

Then the problem is to find a fitting driver…
So a custom version of the Z8 which is a nice and very small zoomie host which is waterproof would be definitely what I need. The bicolor style is quite a bit strange but I would like to have a powerful 14500 XML with zoom…

I’d be in for a couple!

I like agenthex’s proposal of a t2, but fitted with a mode selectable driver, similar interface to this one:-

Ie, using the clicky, you can either have mediumlow, medium high or next mode which is moonlight-high ramping.

AA/14500 support I’m less interested in as I can carry an 18650 light in any of my trousers, I’d have to buy AA/14500 cells.

Blinkies, manufacturer’s, either say no or hide them, people who want a blinky, tend to want it straight away - self defense springs to mind, cyclists want a much slower frequency, most don’t want them at all, its just a gimmick mode.

To me, a side switch pocketable host with a user programmable driver and a well chosen emmitter/reflector combination is a much more attractive proposal than a flood to throw host. But that’s just me.

Count me out of the z8, it just won’t ever make me happy, but good luck with the proposal none the less.

With what Gords just said, how about a BLF edition UF-T50 in NW and reprogrammed driver for high PWM?

I'm not really interested in the Z8 idea.

I think the UF-T50 is too expensive to consider for a big group buy. How about resurrecting the Trustfire A8 group buy. I think a lot of people would be interested in that one.

-Garry

this

Quite pricey, but if we can make it for $30-32 - I’m in.
(sorry for offtopic)

I would consider myself a flashaholic and I have given away all my 18650 and 14500 lights because I prefer AAs only.

But I don’t buy 14500/AA lights as they don’t give as good of a output as AA only lights.

There is already a 14500 version, I don’t think a gimped 14500/AA version is practical unless you are a 14500 user and want the option to use AAs at less than optimal performance than if it was to use a AA driver.

Its a great looking light but I’m not interested, it would still be a 14500 light with the ability to underperform on AA. You would probably be better off keeping it 14500 only to keep the price down and then all you have to request is the tint change and modes.

it's really hard to satisfy everyone. but there is always a way,just like the mini-01.

Should we start a poll here?

This doesn’t really appeal to me, a UF-T50 under $45 that’s better suited to us I’d be in for though.

Poll.
yeah…
yeah yeah!!

ezarc, I agree. I think the hypothetical driver should be optimized for 1xAA…and perhaps be able to handle the LiFePO4 voltage range? I think 1xLiFePO4 would still need voltage boost because of voltage lost to diodes in the driver as well as the cell’s voltage under load.

I’m not sure if a boost driver capable of regulating emitter current from, say 1.2V to 3.25V is feasible budget-wise, but it would be a nice feature.

New driver design is likely not going to happen. Best stick to already solid lights and making specific modifications. I was somewhat surprised that the last attempt was a one-time deal. Surely a good/successful model should be something folks can buy and recommend in the future. Everyone wins that way.

Go with the poll.

Either way I’m in for 2.

So … there are many interested, what’s now.

I'm pretty sure one of the major downsides to this light was the thermal properties of Stainless Steel. Or am I remembering the wrong review?

I would imagine many here would want a pocket rocket but I don't think anyone has paid much attention to keeping the damn thing cool. If this issue could be addressed I'd be interested, but I'm not keen on any light that will drop dramatically after a minute or two on high.

As to a low mode in a FTT? I figure a 3 mode driver is no more difficult than a single mode, and with a low flood this light could make a nice ceiling bounce night light (assuming it can tail stand). Medium levels are always a nice compromise for extending runtime.

But no strobe and no low frequency PWM for me.

Heat would be an issue at high drive currents. Partly due to size and the fact it’s stainless. I don’t really think there’s much you can do about either though and an aluminium light of this size would still suffer, just with a bigger threshold.

Personally for a properly usable light I’d prefer it to be driven less in HIGH to make it sustainable. This way it would be simple to use and retain constant current. Any ‘mid’ is likely to suffer PWM issues. Ok it might not then offer the instant “wow”, but it’d be a better light for it overall.

I luv my mod'ed F12-A (similar to the Z8), and would be very interested in a similar mod to the Z8. I don't think some of you appreciate the flexibility of a small, high quality FTT, that is really bright!

My mods turned the F12-A into something really practical - 2.8A Nanji driver, lo-mid-hi w/mem, stock U2 emitter, very useful pocket clip (mod'ed bent up end), tail stands with a GITD button, great flood, useful throw.

The Z8 w/U3 1C, turbo mode (3A or higher, E3120 driver style) would be hot -- that's my dream Z8 ( - hot literally after 1-2 mins).

I got 2 of the BLF mini's, like the NW, but the Z8 w/U3 1C would be my preference. I'm still picking up my F12-A, not the BLF mini, before walking out the door.