Feeler thread: Customized Trustfire Z8 (AA / 14500, BLF MINI-style)

Poll.
yeah…
yeah yeah!!

ezarc, I agree. I think the hypothetical driver should be optimized for 1xAA…and perhaps be able to handle the LiFePO4 voltage range? I think 1xLiFePO4 would still need voltage boost because of voltage lost to diodes in the driver as well as the cell’s voltage under load.

I’m not sure if a boost driver capable of regulating emitter current from, say 1.2V to 3.25V is feasible budget-wise, but it would be a nice feature.

New driver design is likely not going to happen. Best stick to already solid lights and making specific modifications. I was somewhat surprised that the last attempt was a one-time deal. Surely a good/successful model should be something folks can buy and recommend in the future. Everyone wins that way.

Go with the poll.

Either way I’m in for 2.

So … there are many interested, what’s now.

I'm pretty sure one of the major downsides to this light was the thermal properties of Stainless Steel. Or am I remembering the wrong review?

I would imagine many here would want a pocket rocket but I don't think anyone has paid much attention to keeping the damn thing cool. If this issue could be addressed I'd be interested, but I'm not keen on any light that will drop dramatically after a minute or two on high.

As to a low mode in a FTT? I figure a 3 mode driver is no more difficult than a single mode, and with a low flood this light could make a nice ceiling bounce night light (assuming it can tail stand). Medium levels are always a nice compromise for extending runtime.

But no strobe and no low frequency PWM for me.

Heat would be an issue at high drive currents. Partly due to size and the fact it’s stainless. I don’t really think there’s much you can do about either though and an aluminium light of this size would still suffer, just with a bigger threshold.

Personally for a properly usable light I’d prefer it to be driven less in HIGH to make it sustainable. This way it would be simple to use and retain constant current. Any ‘mid’ is likely to suffer PWM issues. Ok it might not then offer the instant “wow”, but it’d be a better light for it overall.

I luv my mod'ed F12-A (similar to the Z8), and would be very interested in a similar mod to the Z8. I don't think some of you appreciate the flexibility of a small, high quality FTT, that is really bright!

My mods turned the F12-A into something really practical - 2.8A Nanji driver, lo-mid-hi w/mem, stock U2 emitter, very useful pocket clip (mod'ed bent up end), tail stands with a GITD button, great flood, useful throw.

The Z8 w/U3 1C, turbo mode (3A or higher, E3120 driver style) would be hot -- that's my dream Z8 ( - hot literally after 1-2 mins).

I got 2 of the BLF mini's, like the NW, but the Z8 w/U3 1C would be my preference. I'm still picking up my F12-A, not the BLF mini, before walking out the door.

I’d go for something like the OP or like the mod Tom E. describes immediately above.

I ruined the xm-l in my z8 trying to dedome it. My light was an under achiever from the day I got it so I had to try something. Well since I ruined it anyway I bought a XP-G2 for it. It turned out to be a 3d tint. I am a cool white fan but this is a beautiful tint. It retained about 75% of the XM-L’s lumens and increased throw by about 160%. I like this little light now.

Someone pulled this back from the grave….
but I think this has never really begun….

Hi all,

I am still fairly new to BLF so I could use some clarity on this. Am I to understand that Rey ( the forum owner I assume?) is able to order batches of lights directly from Trustfire with custom specs?

no, the forum owner is sb, rey runs an ali store and does custom runs on lights for us now and then.

OH, I see. I have seen briefly in various places threads titled BLF this light or BLF that light. I thought maybe someone had an in with a manufacturer in HK. Thanks for clarifying.

Actually that is the case, Rey had an in with Trustfire, Trustfire produced 2 custum runs for BLF (Trustfire mini01, Trustfire A8), with neutral leds, custom mode spacing and high PWM (and BLF on it).

Do you guys have any links for threads/pictures?

I already own a Z8 and have a few comments that might be useful.

The Z8 is very easy to take apart and mod. The price for the complete light is also pretty low. I’m not sure how much value you can add with a special group buy. I guess if some people really don’t like opening their light or don’t have a friend nearby that can do it, they may have an interest.

I don’t understand the use of an XML in this light. Combining the low (for XML) drive current and optic in this light makes me think an XPE or XRE would be a much better choice. I’ve tried them both. I have an XPE2 R2 in it now, but I didn’t get anywhere near the improvement I expected over an XRE Q4 EZ1000 I tried prior. My guess is it has something to do with how the light comes out of the XRE vs. the XPE2 and how that interworks with the optic. If anyone wants to play with their Z8, the XRE on a 16mm MCPCB fits and centers perfect. It is almost as if this was originally designed for an XRE. Like the XML that comes with it, an XPE fits better on a 14mm MCPCB. It requires just a bit of care to perfectly center. The driver is 15mm.

I also replaced the driver with a single mode boost driver. I wanted to run it on AA. I find modes much less useful when there is a zooming optic. Combine that with the modest maximum output of a single AA/14500 solution and I just don’t see the need for modes.

I also see one issue on the Z8 that I cannot come up with a fix for - the clicky switch. Sure, the one it comes with works fine and is easy enough to access. My issue is you are stuck with that exact switch. It doesn’t use the normal PCB with spring and switch soldered on and I see no way to swap it out for anything else. I’d love to have a FW clicky in mine, but there just isn’t room for any FW clickies that I’ve found. I also have no idea how much current it can handle. I know my 1 X AA boost configuration pulls about 2A through it. It works for now, but it would be nice to know what it is rated at.

But isnt there something special with driver diameter…? There was something because a driver swap is difficult…

Yup. Stock driver is 15mm IIRC.

Not sure if Rey is up for this, but I’d still be interested in a Z8 BLF Edition.

XP-E2 please, no blinky modes. H-M-L-F with memory like the A8 has (so it’ll start on whatever mode you want :wink: ). Priced $15-18.