Feeler thread: Customized Trustfire Z8 (AA / 14500, BLF MINI-style)

In for at least 1 piece!
Possibly two. :slight_smile:

I had to read this… I’m suppose to be receiving my Z8 from DX tomorrow. I would be in for one though…

one for me!

I like the design of the z8 very much, but have not bought one because the XML is a very poor and inefficient thrower in a small aspheric. If a custom light could be arranged with a (neutral) XPG2 (smaller die, tighter beam), I'm in!! Oh, and make the UI like the BLF-mini.

Xp-e or Xp-g isn’t going to make it any better since it’s the same output angles as xml.

Might one of the illuminati educate me please. Thanks :slight_smile:

XP-G2 beam angle is 115 degrees and XP-E2 is 110 degrees. The original XP-E is 115 degrees. Only the XP-G has the same beam angle as the XM-L @ 125 degrees.

I am in for at least 1, NW, XM-L or XPG-2, AA support and must be Low-Med-High

You can look at the cree spacial distribution graphs yourself. The xp-g2 is far closer to the xm-l/xp-g than xr-e.

I would be in. But probably not for that spec tbh. I’d rather CW and U2 over NW and T6. Also really couldn’t care for AA support. Would also prefer just two modes High and mid high. No lows at all, I have no use or need for low and get fed up scrolling through them.

Say NO to low
:wink:

I rarely use low on any of my lights, and never use moonlight modes if they are present, but you never know the circumstances you might end up in one day. Having a usable low with a 7 day runtime, or a moonlight mode that lasts for an order of magnitude longer, might end up being a godsend.

Better than removing low modes is the addition of a more advanced UI that lets you lock particular modes out of the cycle, or easily bypass them.

In fact I’d be willing to pay significantly more for most of my favourite budget lights if they had UI’s similar to my SC600.

Sounds like it's going to be really hard to get a consensus here on specs.

-Garry

Garry is right. And the OP did not ask for opinions on specs, just if you would be in for what he proposed. I’m in for one.

Well, to some extent it also matters if the product is good if not great. We’ve actually some experience with this over many BLF edition lights, all of which have been decent, but none that carried onto the go to recommendation for a category. Everyone has different goals, but if I were doing this, my goal would be to create the iphone so to speak of flashlights. Not just something that sells a few to a niche crowd but a sustainable product.

For example, the z8 looks ok, but I think the A3 or T2 with the right specs has the potential to sell thousands or more, and be part of a product lineup that define the category.

I mean, as flashoholics we all know the many follies that manufactures make again and again: shitty memory, shitty modes, shitty tints, strobes, and the list goes on for trivial to correct design flaws. If someone would just create a marginally different lineup which avoids these incredibly dumb mistakes they’re pretty much guaranteed long term success.

With that in mind, maybe we could request a run of empty Z8 hosts with a BLF-related marking stenciled on it? :stuck_out_tongue:

Then the problem is to find a fitting driver…
So a custom version of the Z8 which is a nice and very small zoomie host which is waterproof would be definitely what I need. The bicolor style is quite a bit strange but I would like to have a powerful 14500 XML with zoom…

I’d be in for a couple!

I like agenthex’s proposal of a t2, but fitted with a mode selectable driver, similar interface to this one:-

Ie, using the clicky, you can either have mediumlow, medium high or next mode which is moonlight-high ramping.

AA/14500 support I’m less interested in as I can carry an 18650 light in any of my trousers, I’d have to buy AA/14500 cells.

Blinkies, manufacturer’s, either say no or hide them, people who want a blinky, tend to want it straight away - self defense springs to mind, cyclists want a much slower frequency, most don’t want them at all, its just a gimmick mode.

To me, a side switch pocketable host with a user programmable driver and a well chosen emmitter/reflector combination is a much more attractive proposal than a flood to throw host. But that’s just me.

Count me out of the z8, it just won’t ever make me happy, but good luck with the proposal none the less.