Feeler thread for Beryllium Springs

And to put this even more into perspective (I hope you don't mind ryansoh3, I always need to do that a bit when reading safety sheets):

Because we will be using the springs incidental (as opposed to working in a Beryllium factory), and will mostly not produce large amounts of grit fine enough to subsequently inhale (metals are heavy and do not easily blow up into the air) , I'm sure that not wearing mask/goggles will not be that much of a hazard. I'm 47 years old now and confident that I will die eventually, but most likely not of beryllium expose. But for some, any risk is too much of course.

I was wondering when that would come up. I found out about that a long time ago when some article talked about why it'd be good and bad to use this material for bicycle frames.

I think I was reading this wrong, it's not 5 cents each once you hit 1000, right? There's no decimal point.

A little help for the bifocal brigade, please.

0.525 - 53 cents each, rounded up.

yes that’s .53 cents or just over a half dollar each if we can get em at the 1000 level.

And please, don’t use lead solder while chewing soldering these springs.

Thanks. I'm just starting modding and looking at mostly 17mm to maybe 20mm drivers, an 8mm spring seems a bit large unless there are no 7135's on the battery side. Not sure what I would use them in, direct drive lights?

What we’re pricing here is about 5.5mm. I’d give more specs but they’re not in a hurry to talk to me.

I have been having the same lackluster response from another custom manufacturer of beryllium copper springs and stampings. How strange that a business would be so callous toward potential customers. Granted this isn’t the volume that could get a promotion, but still.

American business?

Yup, a ’Merican company. Maybe if I had a business license number they would take me seriously.

Wire and braid are soft copper, while these springs have beryllium added for hardness, so the braid probably conducts better per area.
At high frequency braid conducts better per area than solid wire does because its inductance is lower, but at DC it is only the area and length that matter.
However it is simpler, easier and neater to use the spring also as the conductor.

5 x 8 x 10 mm is just fine for Minimag tailcap mods. The stock 105C spring is often too short( Qlite driver being a pleasant exception). Instead of 5x5x5 it’s 5x5x7 and is long enough to have some spring to it.

Maybe, but it's probably easier and faster to get it from Chinese companies, especially when they refuse to deal with you. If that American business goes under, they only have themselves to blame for sending their jobs to China.

It’s our system. Selling to an individual puts the company at risk for all kinds of issue, including lawsuits from possible injury by people that didn’t know what they were doing in the first place. By selling only to approved businesses, they have some assurance the product will be in the hands of those accustomed to using the product. With our judicial system awarding people for being idiots, is it any wonder manufacturers are overly cautious?

You are no doubt correct, DB. I often long for the day when we were responsible for ourselves. If I should do something foolish (if, hah! Count on it!) then it’s my own fault and I will have to deal with the consequences. Not like I’m going to hold scalding hot coffee in my lap while driving then sue McD’s for my stupidity. But you are right, the litigeuos environment we find ourselves in has changed the landscape for the worse I’m afraid. I’ll have to give them a call on Monday. A message worth hearing is worth repeating.

hi, any chance of knowing the exact form (especially the ending of the springs…)

Type I looks like the best for our use

[quote=DBCstm] And please, don't use lead solder while soldering these springs. [/quote] I didn't even think of that, sorry, count me out. I only use 63/37. Solder without lead in it is too hard to... well, to solder. YeeeshSealed

I think that was sarcasm? :bigsmile:

I was concerned about the carcinogenic properties of beryllium and Dale said not to ingest lead too. :stuck_out_tongue:

I was merely attempting sarcastic humor. Justin knows this and is being facetious! Hence the missing strike from my quote.

The beryllium would have to be inhaled or ingested in larger quantities, or over a period of time, to be harmful enough to measure. Much like lead. Hence, don’t chew the beryllium with lead on it.

Sorry for any literal misinterpretations.

I would like to see a spring like in figure 2, myself, such that a protected cell with button top would contact either end when using the spring inverted or right-side-up.

I will spend the time that it takes to get some answers tomorrow, provided they even answer the phone.