Finally ! RGB MC-E Driver @ intl-outdoor

For me it is just the fun, and lots of that . But others may have a good use for it?

hehe… Im looking forward to the fun part… Hopefully it will be fun for more than 3 min… :stuck_out_tongue:
No matter, it will add some uniqueness in between all my “regular” colored flashlights…

Djozz great pics!
Can you build 2 flashlights using the 700mA driver, so we can make a comparison between MC-E & XM-L?

I am afraid I only have one driver at the moment, so I can not build them both. I do have a Sipik sk68 with the mce-colour and the green coloured 20mm driver though (earlier build), so no direct comparison (the xml will go into a reflector light, with the 17mm blue driver) but I can compare the tailcap currents for the different leds and compare the colours.

with this driver, it looks mainly useful for pulling pranks on your friends (police! put down your weapons! :_( )

i have been interested in the colour xm-l since it came out, as an alternative to the ledengin lz4 for lightsaber building. without a proper colour mixing driver, i would probably connect it to a mini RF RGB strip controller in direct drive and some resistors stuffed inside a host with battery extension. this information vs the mc-e is surprising to me, looking forward to your build djozz :smiley:

So there was nothing on TV so I decided to take a look in my parts bin…
I modded the wallbuys hd2011 with a mce…and the 17mm driver from intoutdoor.

Quick and dirty…everything fits even the stock reflector….

The stock reflector had the donut hole problem…so I tried dedoming…without sucess…

After trying different things I came up with a frosted tir which worked nice, so I tried a bit of the diffuser film I got from dr Jones…problem solved a nice beam without hole. So I use the stock reflector and stock lens just with one layer dcfix diffuser film on the inner side of the lens.
I like the blue, it lets some things really glow a bit like uv light…

I switched the green and blue cables, so I have a green blue strobe(as I have no use for the us police strobe either…)
I had no small silicone or Teflon wire but I would recommend to change the stock wire because it melts easily.
I would like to have a better driver with fading color mixing and a random strobe and all dies on…

Thanks for sharing Werner. I plan to join this colorful “club” soon. :slight_smile:
What did the de-doming do to the beam and tint?

I am not sure as I have not tested it long with the dome. But the white is now a bit warmer like always…

The all dies strobe really looks like a dirty white, sadly there is just a strobe… I think that would be useful.

In da club! :stuck_out_tongue:

Snapped a few shots.

Fits nicely into P60 OP XM-L reflector (used heat resistant kapton tape to prevent a short)
Beam shows there is a little donut in the middle. Id guess that is hard to avoid completely since the light source is never centered.
I mosty notice the little donut when using the white light…

Stock wires was a bit crappy. I used them anyway. (I used a bit too much heat on some of them too. Im spoiled with teflon wires)
The emitter looks good though!

Close up from the shot above.

Impressions after taking it out last night.
Its funny to see how different colors are visible when using different colors.
Walk in a small spooky outdoor pitch black place with this light using one of the colors and you get a “unreal movie feeling”. 8) At least that is how I experienced it.
Police strobe is useless, but cool.
Technically, this whole light is useless. :stuck_out_tongue: But fun to experience.
:slight_smile:

Did you have to do a lot of filing (sanding) to get the driver to press fit in?

I probably used a few minutes on filing it (never had to file a 17mm driver that much before). It was slightly wider than I expected. I also wanted to make sure it was not a very tight press fit, so that I can be able to take it out again if needed.

I finally put mine together. I decided to stuff the whole shebang into a Convoy M2 host. The whole process took about ten minutes, and most of that time is spent sorting out the wires. I didn’t think about taking pics until it was already assembled.

I used the 20mm MC-E driver which is perfect for the M2 pill. It was so easy, it was almost embarrassing. Poke the wires through, and solder them in place. The retaining ring screws down tight on the driver, so there’s no soldering involved.

The whole pill then just threads into the head. How much easier can it get?

Thats it. A real cool light that I don’t really have a use for, but it will impress the hell out of the people I work with.

RGBW MC-E Convoy M2

Intl-Outdoor has released a XM-L Color on a 16mm mcpcb (linky)

No 1A driver is available at the moment so I guess people will have to make do with “only” 700ma per LED. Quick rundown on lumen output:

MC-E Color (A4 group)
XM-L Color (C2 group)

MC-E @ 700ma:
R - 58
G - 104
B - 14
NW - 140

XM-L @ 700ma:
R - 87 (50% higher)
G - 131 (26% higher)
B - 24 (71% higher)
NW - 140

I don’t think the beam profile will change that much in reguards to reflectors, you can’t defy physics. :frowning:

Calling DrJones, we really need a driver for this bad boy :smiley:

So I always try to bring a nifty light to the church hay ride and I decided early on this was it for the year. I must say this color MCE setup is soooooooo perfect for an ultrafire UFT20 zoomie.

The colors are much brighter than I was expecting at only 600-700ma. With the option of flood to zoom it works out great. My only criticism for this driver is no option for memory. You always have to start over at white which renters most of the colors unuseful for real world situations.

Has a 1A driver been produced for the XML version of this LED. I have the XML LED and thinking about putting this in a Solarforce L2. I would really love to push each color to 1A though, for max lumens and brightness!

No, there isn't one, the only options on a single driver board are the 700mA boards with loads of useless modes from intl-outdoor. It would be neat if someone build a custom board for this led (it can also used for multiple led lights).

It’s too bad multiple combinations can’t be on at once. It seems a shame to have a four color emitter light and only be able to have one at a time on.

I have a much lower powered 3 color emitter light. As a novelty it’s interesting. When red and green are on at the same time you get yellow. Just to demonstrate color theory it’s interesting.

I still have to go though all 9 colors one at a time. It would be interesting to have a sliding mixture switch for each of the three different color emitters.

This does sound like a job for Dr. Jones :slight_smile: