Finally the XHP70.2 emerges!

Well, 0.075V times 4 can make a significant difference in the resulting current. And 3 high drain 18650 cells in series plus some wire resistance does lead to about 0.1 ohms resistance. I guess we’ll just wait for you to test it and report.

I don’t have enough experience running LED tests and making graphs like djozz or texas ace do.
We’ll see how it performs when they do their tests.
I’m going to be running mine at 12A constant current so this isn’t really relevant to myself.

I tested a XHP50.2 two weeks ago in 6V set-up, that should give you some information too for the 3-battery discussion. Based on those numbers:

Say you want 2A at 12V, that is 4A at 6V for 3000 lumen. You need 6.3V for that in 6V situation, that is 12.6V in 12V situation, so 4.2V per battery under 2A load. So no, 2A is not feasable.

Try 1A, =2A at 6V, so 1800 lumen and 5.95V, that is 11.9V in 12V configuration, almost 4V per battery. With high drain cells fully loaded providing 1A, that should work for a very short period if there are no voltage losses in the flashlight.My conclusion again: does not work.

Or did I make mistakes in the above numbers?

Yes, djozz, I think your numbers and conclusions are correct. The XHP70.2 should have a bit lower voltage than the 50.2, but not enough to make it a good performer for 12V configuration with 3S.

The stock driver in the L6 might prove to be a good option for the 70.2. With a resistor mod for around 8-10A it should give great output if the driver can hold up to it.

This is the issue with all these new LED’s they are just moving past what can be done with a FET driver safely and we don’t have any good buck drivers to use with them.

I find it pleasant to go back to Led Lenser once in a while. They have such a typical look and classic feel. Got used to modern flashlights so this does result in disappointed output though… But Lensers are nevertheless classics in my opinion…

It’s my understanding that none of the LEDs that are used in flashlights are actually meant for flashlights. They are meant for street lights and home lighting.

Tempted to order :slight_smile:
http://www.leddna.com/2017-new-cree-xhp70-2-led-emitter-cool-white-n4-1a/

I’m waiting for kaidomain, and a bit better price, I hope…

Damn $16… lol

I may have been tempted if they were neutral or even 1C, but i’ll wait for now.

+1

In 3A tint, and pre-mounted to a 20mm DTP MCPCB.

Looking forward to seeing if the lower forward voltage makes boosting from a single cell any brighter.

Is there anyway to predict when it’ll be easily available for purchase?

It seems easily available from leddna, see link above.

After I posted the link I tried to order it. But it seems there is only the possibility to add it to your wishlist :frowning:

Let us know if any pop up for sale.

Mouser has them listed and ordered but expect them in somewhere in june . That may be a more general timeframe, for other sellers too?

Wow, that’s a lot longer that I was thinking. Thanks.

I have put a back order in on Digikey for a couple XHP70B-00-0000-0D0HM430G. No estimated ship date, but I am guessing similar to the June estimate from mouser.

Got an email from digikey updating the status of my backorder, they expect the LED to be in stock with them on June 14th.

Look what i found at kaidomain

http://kaidomain.com/p/S026863.Cree-XHP70_2-P2-3B-Neutral-White-5000K-LED-Emitter
http://kaidomain.com/p/S026860.Cree-XHP70_2-P2-1A-White-6000K-LED-Emitter

Im so tempted to get one for my L6 but i am afraid that the FET driver will be to much for this one.