Fireflies ROT66 review (3x18650, 9x219B)

The calibration of the internal temperature sensor is probably rather inaccurate. If you want to compare them properly, configure the thermal stepdown for the same measured head surface temperature on both lights.

I’ve had mine step down at 20 odd seconds and 50 seconds from cold, it reads different at start up depending on temp/volt, strange light.

Maybe someone who knows more about the driver can shed some light for me: So the light has ruler flat regulation when in mode sets, but when in ramping is every single possible lumen output up to 700 lumens fully regulated as well? IE, is a hypothetical 537 lumens ruler flat regulated, is 284 ruler flat?

Yes. All the modes utilizing only the 7135 regs are flat in output.

Thanks! How does the light handle stepdown to the 700 lumen regulation if it’s getting slightly too hot at say like, 1000 or 1200 lumens? Is it a temperature controlled deal where it will eventually step down to 700 lumens 10-20 minutes in?

Assuming we are talking about the Nichia version, if the thermal limit is reached it will step down from 1000 or 1200 lumen down to 700 lumen (which is FET turned off and all the 7135 chips working at 100. Or channel 3 turned off and channels 1 and 2 working at 100)

Starting at higher lumen levels the light usually has to step down twice to get to this fully regulated level as seen in the run time chart below.

This is a complicated question and I’ve tried to answer it as simple as I can, but it still may not be clear. You can get some more information from this thread.

Ps. You can choose the temperature at which it steps down.

Received my ROT66 219B from GB.

The bad first.
The driver doesn’t seem to memorize nothing! If you re in Modes and do a power cycle (physically lock out or changing batteries) you re back to Ramping again. And if you want to change any setting (I tried many times to disable blinkys, to choose 6 mode from the mode set, and to set the thermal to timed spepdown) after the power cycle… back to default!!
The driver seems to reset to the default every time you do a power cycle. If you don’t do a power cycle everything works OK.

I always change these 3 settings in my narsilm flashlights, and i always physically lock out the lights every time, so for me this is a huge problem.

The second bad is that i think one of the leds looks like the dome has lifted from the phosphor or something like that, if i can described it correctly. I took some photos but i don’t know if you can see it. The led works OK, but if you see it directly with moonlight the damaged side looks more yellow. Maybe in the factory push hard the tir? I don’t know.

I will forward my comment to fireflie and see how it goes…

Now the good.
I have many lights with 219B sw45k R9080. This is from the best, more neutral, excellent tint and beam profile.

Fireflies have told me to fix mine or send it to Vinh.

It’s a huge gamble buying a ROT66.

i smell fishy about this light from the start…. lucky i didn’t jump on to buying one.

Mine is still en route to me but reading your post makes me worry already. How can they suggest their customers to resolder a defective LED by themselves? I'm pretty sure that most of their buyers are not skilled to do such a repair. How can they suggest you, living in England, to send the light to Vinh Ngyuen who lives in the US? In my humble opinion, this sounds rediculous. Will they gonna pay the significant shipping costs and the tariff fees for inbound/outbound customs. As far as I know, in Germany every single parcel from the US will be processed by customs and you always have to pay at least the 19% import turnover tax.

In my opinion, if they want to achieve and keep customer satisfaction they should quickly think it over again and send you a new light.

I don’t think fishy is the right word. They are a new company and this is their first light. The design needs some tweaking.

It’s a known issue, and happens randomly. Basically, if you keep trying, keep making it save settings, it should eventually remember. Make sure to save a few times before disconnecting power.

And if I understand correctly, it should be fixed in the next batch. Not that that helps you, but hopefully at least things will be better for others later.

This happened to me as well. After using the light and changing the settings for a while it started remembering the settings.

Please don't take this as an offense. I know about the risks of buying things that are brand-new but when the groupbuy started, I was not aware that the driver had a "known issue" and that the light would behave weird in terms of saving settings. I am wondering if a flashlight that cannot save its settings would be subject to a warranty claim and exchanged by a revised version from the next batch. I have never seen a flashlight before that is unable to save its settings unless stated otherwise.

Thanks. I will try. :+1:

Everything you wrote, I agree 100% :+1:

I’ m from Greece… I can’t send lights to US :person_facepalming:

It just won't make any sense to send a $ 100,- light DDP to the US for at least another $ 60-70 plus US import taxes, have it repaired by someone - who's AFAIK not an officially involved or authorized repair partner by Fireflies - and let it sent back again for another $ 60-70 plus UK/Greece/whatever import taxes. It's absolutely unreasonable and ineffective to do that. Apart from that this would generate a lot of questions: What if the flashlight gets broken during transportation? What if the repair has not been carried out to full satisfaction? If things go south you have to deal not only with Fireflies but also with another party. Personally, I wouldn't take any chances.

Fireflies are sorting it for me. :+1:

It’s the only light I have for review at the moment and I’m planning on a Goonies theme for the vid.

Fireflies will send me a new head.
They will send it tomorrow, so I will report back, when i receive it.

So far, very good customer care :+1:

Well I encountered the same problem on every ROT66 (2 Nichia, 1 XP-L). And this “memory lost” problem will disappear after more times of tests. You need to trigger a program to the EEPROM (which is far saving the settings) and unscrew the head for several minutes, for many times, until the setting can be loaded from the EEPROM successfully (if not, the settings will simply go back to default again).

The possible cause is, sometimes the EEPROM needs a certain amount of Program-and-Erase (P/E) cycles to get stable. At least all my ROT66s can memorize their settings now.

I also have a flashlight on my way. Version XPL NW. When I read how many of them are damaged, I see the LEDs destroyed because of the production defect on the lamp, I am very nervous. The flashlight was not cheap and when I pay more than $ 100, I expect the perfect product. And a great customer service that sends a new piece of work in case of a problem and does not ask the customer to send a flashlight to the USA. When I received a faulty Sofirn Flashlight, I was immediately sent a new one. I will definitely write whether the flashlight is fully functional and if it is not the solution offered by the manufacturer.