First impressions / brief review of my OLight S80 Baton from Gearbest

Thanks freeme for pointing to the right direction!

Yes, this was one of the best deals ever. GB contacted me and said they could get some more from another supplier but the price would be $40. Still think it’s a good deal at that price. If enough people want them at $40, they will order more. Speak up if your interested and I will direct GB to this thread.

Good for the non flashaholic, battery and charger are included. At $40, it’s like paying $20 for the light, $10 battery, and $10 charger.

I wish I could afford another. Been trying to think of a way to get a xhp50 in here since I first laid eyes on the gorgeous reflector :open_mouth:
I’m probably committed to too many GBs as it is lol. My gf would kill me.

Come up with something creative like “this is a special gift to your dad”… :slight_smile:

I tore mine down last night to swap the emitter and figured I’d post my findings here.

The XM-L is mounted on a square copper mcpcb. Checked with my multimeter and it’s DTP! The driver looked too complicated for me to fool with.

So I now have a S80 with a XM-L2 T6 1A! I also bypassed the driver spring. It is noticeably brighter in all modes.

What was that insanely low price? I’ve looked at these too but the Price seems way to high.

It was $26 if my memory serves. In a nice presenting box, with charger and a 26650 included. It was definitely too low to pass.

I have been using mine at work this week as I thought it was time I gave it a real work out as until now it has pretty much been a home light due to the size. Now that it is colder and I am wearing a larger jacket in the evening it is no longer a problem to carry (the holster is useless). It is an interesting light but after using it in every situation you can imagine i.e. inside buildings large and small and outside in the streets and on fields both during good and bad weather I have found it really only excels in one area that that is longevity of use. That big battery coupled with (by our standards) a relatively low output on maximum means it will last me a full shift at work during which it is on long enough to flatten the batteries many of my other lights. I found the best scenario for it where it worked best was in a mid sized yard where you have enough spill to cover what you need but what you are actually focusing on is clear for everyone to see. Inside buildings it did not please me particularly the compromise between flood and throw for me at least did not sit right. The same goes for when working on some playing fields. The lack of hotspot hindered even though the actual distance thrown was pretty good. I passed it around some of the guys at work though and they all thought it was amazing and responded to how well built it was and the feel of it in the hand. They all realised on contact that this was not a cheap quality item.