First MOD with Courui and XPL-HI

It’s my first diy project and i would like to know if it’s possible to run a XP-L Hi @ 7 AMP with an aproprieted cooper pill/heatsink.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum. :)

Assuming it is the same LED as the XP-L (Non HI), you should be able to if Cree hasn't changed the LED like it appears the XM-L2 has changed since it initially came out. Check out the thread linked in the below chart that was created by djozz.

what color is the xpl HI 2c? 6000k?
7amp is fine just make sure you have good thermal heatsinking and or step-down options.

XP-L HI V3 2B LED with a solid cooper pill. I would like to know if someone can run a XP-L @7A with a passive cooling…

Interesting thread. My Courui has full XM L2 dd modd (springs, wires, LD2 driver @ 5A, XM L2 on 26mm Maxtoch board, big copper pill) and puts out 338 Kcd. Lens is stock though and it’s rubbish with lots of scratches and the color is quite greenish in the two lower settings (altough they are hardly ever used. :bigsmile: :wink:

I was thinking about replacing the led with a XP L HI V3 as well, and running it at 7A. I’ve seen a test stating it has no problem with this high currents, but I can’t find that right now. If you are thinking along the same lines, you really do need to increase heatsinking because the flimsy standard alu pill will not be able to deal with it.
I’ll search some more and post if and when I find it.

According to my rough calculations The XP-L V3 modd could bring:

UCLp lens = 5% increase = 355Kcd.
XP-L HI @ 7A = (355 / 5 * 7) = 495Kcd.

That would be neat, considering the stock reflector is still in. :party:

Grtz
Nico

Thanks for the reply
I’m from Brazil and it’s hard to get some componentes…
I’m thinking to use HX-1175b driver, what do you think about this?

Thanks again

I just did an emitter test (I will post it one of these days) on a XP-L Hi (5000K, U5 bin), 7A was very close to maximum output, but also uncomfortably close to destruction: the bond wires blew between 8A and 8.5A. My advice is stay safe at 6A, which in my tested led was 94% of maximum output.

Djozz, thanks for testing the led - as usual highly appreciated!

Do you have the new XP-L HI V3 Led to test?
If not I will try to get hold of a few (not only for the Courui but for my Fenix TK61 as well) and ship a few to you for testing.

Grtz
Nico

BTW I love my UF1504! :wink: