First Post, choosing between a TR-J12 and FandyFire L1

The manafont one

a LED driver - you can read more about it here: http://www.taskled.com/hboost.html

I'm currently doing battle with DealExtreme customer services, took them three days to respond to my initial query and their response was "check the forums for more information".

Not terribly useful, no amount of forum checking is going to solder the driver back together *sigh*

By the time I have a working flashlight there's going to be a new emitter out and this one will be a relic!

I've never been one for giving up easily, so I had a bit more of a play around with the soldering iron this morning and have fixed it :)

This thing is bright.

Going to re-assemble it now with the soldering done properly (ie: not using connecting wires to bodge it) and see how it goes - beam shots tonight perhaps...

That's great news, Siftah! what exactly was the culprit causing the issue?

Well, when I say "fixed", I seem to have left myself with a single mode torch. So whatever I've done isn't exactly perfect :)

The root problem was that the drive board had been separated during construction/transit. My initial attempt at fixing it hadn't worked because (I think) I hadn't joined both sides of the secondary board together.

There's pads on both sides of the board, on both boards. I thought either side of these would be joined together internally on the board but this didn't appear to be the case. I created a small bridge across the pads and the light works.

I suspect I haven't got this quite right though, hence it being single mode rather than 5 mode. I think maybe on the portion of the board connected to the body of the light there is additional sections of the PCB which need to be joined, whereas I've only joined to one section. It was hard to tell what should be joined and I could measure varying resistance across the different tracks. I think I've probably bypassed the bit of the driver which is responsible for selecting the modes.

Oh well - I'm still waiting for DealExtreme to respond to my return request :)

Hi

I just purchased the same flashlight. Hopefully it will be working Seriously it look like a very neat and powerful flashlight so i am very up to get it sooner the better

I read somewhere in a forum (maybe this?) one guy that had exchanged a broken driver in a 3*XM-L. With the new one after exchange had 3 amp at tailcap . That was a driver from MF, probably this one then: http://www.manafont.com/product_info.php/flashlight-component-triple-t6-cree-circuit-board-driver-p-7973

(maybe this driver are for two cell maximum and it went into direct drive with 3 cell?) So question is if this driver work in flaslight with 5 LED and with 3 cell`s

Anyhow i think you should keep on bugging DX to come with a solution, either new flashlight or driver.

http://www.manafont.com/product_info.php/flashlight-diy-part-circuit-board-for-pentaleds-modes-module-p-8002

check that out siftah

Another contender 5 x T6 $69.99 shipped

TrustFire TR-J16 Cree XM-L T6 5-LED 4500-Lumen 5-Mode Memory Flashlight - Titanium Finish (2/3*18650)