first tentative steps in modding

I bought some time ago 2 X flashlight hosts to install my own driver/led etc, these take a 18650 battery.
Is it just a case of researching what led I want, driver etc, what else will I need, what is this Arctic Alumina, I assume thermaly conductive glue ?.
Any hints and tips would be most welcome to help, thanks
tabs

Welcome to the forum. Yes, it’s just about reading and choosing host, cells, driver, and emitter. Artic Alumina is one choice, there are others like Fujik or double sided thermal pads. Epoxies tend to be more permanent but the most important aspect is close contact between 2 smooth, flat surfaces. Good luck and don’t be shy with questions.

Thanks matey, there sure will be more questions, most likely after x mas now, as awaiting my Fandyfire UV-S5, already thinking of modding it ha ha!!
Anyway thanks for reply.
tabs

I’m using diamond heat sink compound from maplin, mainly because I could pick it up local rather than because I think its any better tbh.

Can you link the hosts? I may have some removed parts that you can have depending on star diameter/driver diameter. Their not top dollar products, but at free, it don’t matter if you break them….

Do you have specific ideas on what you want ie:-

Tint
Modes
Drive current

The favorites are:-

Single cell
Neutral tint 3c
3 mode - no blinkies
Xm-l current 3a
Xp-g 1.4a ish
Xp-g2 2.2a ish.

If your going multi cell xm-l I have a favorite driver in mind as I like the modes, current control rather than pulse width modulation (pwm, we don’t seem to suffer from it over here) and two groups, 3 mode or five mode, user selectable with the clicky.

As said above, fire off as many questions as you like, add as many links as you like, we’re all happy to help. :bigsmile:

A few DIY guides here and there ...

Basics are ..

Center emitter while glue dries [ arctic Alumina - arctic silver - all good ]

Find the driver you want - To fit the desired application [ light / pill ]

Solder wire from driver to emitter - then test

Solder driver in place , Then test

Put it all together - test more [ what your looking for here is any sign of a short ]

Then be happy .

DIY Mini Mag Mod Guide | Candle Power Flashlight Forum Really long time ago now - I did a very simple DIY mod for the mini Maglite

DIY P60 Building Guide | Candle Power Flashlight Forum equally long time ago - a DIY P60 pill guide

ITP A1 EOS XM-L U2 Mod my ITP mod — Was this the first tiny XM-L Hotrod mod ? could be

ITP A1 - Full blown DIY Guide to pulling the A1 apart ... ITP mod guide …

Thanks guys, can’t even find me hosts at the moment, but as my Fandyfire UV-S5 was delivered today I’m playing with that, even with nearly flat batteries it’s the best I’ve got by a mile, it’s just awsome, got some panasonics on order, as well as now some XTAR purples.
I’m going to read those threads over the next few days, I don’t like all these blinkie modes, a single strobe is nice for attention in case of emergency but can’t see the need(for me) for SOS.
The UV-S5 has three modes bright, kin hellishly bright, and strobe so nice and simple, like me ha ha!!
tabs