First time mod gone wrong- is there any hope?? Yes! It is fixed!

I think one quick answer is to run the light for some period of time befor putting the reflector on ..also taking a pair of shears and cutting the top part of your solder blob can make a nice flat surface to sit the reflector down on .on the plasitc refectors I've made a habit of scraping the bottoms clean of any shiny material just in case :P..

those small heatsinks are tougher to deal with .

You can checkto see if it's driver or emitter by just hitting the emitter with 3.6 volts .. if you have light .. it's a driver ..

When I looked at this picture, and zoomed in, it appears that the ( - ) wire has a gap between the insulation and the solder blob. It is also quite apparent (don’t ask me why I know EXACTLY what this looks like!!!) that the ( + ) is suffering from two problems: A- the soldering melted back the insulation a little, and II- twisting the PCB (perhaps by tightening the reflector) pushed the bare (+) end into the edge of the slot of the PCB.

If that’s correct (detailed examination with DMM and magnification will tell), it’s likely there’s no current making it to your LED, and the current is just dumping back into the battery at the edge of the (+) slot.

I was luckier. My (-) stayed true, so my T20 became “DD” … until I dropped it, which reset the torque imparted by screwing down the head, and now it’s “normal”, with blinkies and all. Full disclosure: I preferred the “DD”!!!

Using thermal ADHESIVE instead of paste will prevent the torque movement, or you could set the PCB “back” a few degrees to let the torque pull it into the proper position (trial and error time!!).

Questions:
1- Is there continuity between the actual (-) solder pad and the body?
2- Will it light (assuming 1 is “yes”) without the reflector? You may need to hold bare ends against the battery with one hand, and against the battery contacts with the other, but that should show you something.
3- Right now, as it is, try to measure continuity through the LED. Then switch leads & retry. One way it should dimly light the LED…

I’d say your prognosis looks pretty good. If you do decide to give up, PM me and I’ll be happy to take out the trash for you!!

GOOD LUCK and DON’T QUIT!

Dim

Thanks for the help guys. Put new wires in and it works! No soldering down the thru-holes or hitting the sides this time. It is slightly off center but I’ll live with it for now.

So I have a 22kcd+ p60 reflectored thrower now :slight_smile:

Nice recovey Tecmo, I’ve had more than my share of disasters but managed to recover most all of them. It’s called expriance.

Now you know what I mean by “tweaking”. Sharing what went wrong and why helps us all to improve our mods.