*First Totally Successful Modding Experience!!*

WooHoo indeed. I am still elated every time I finish building a light…and it comes on. It doesn’t always work that way.

“It doesn’t always work that way.” - Man, don’t I know that! :slight_smile:

I know exactly how you feel! I'm that way. If there is a chance to mess something up, I will mess it up! This weekend I was working on my lawnmower headlight project and finally mounted my emitters (not the junk test one, but now the real one I'm using - I have no extras) and the drivers (I already burned up my only spare trying to resistor mod it for more output). Previously things were just kind of stuck together with wires hanging and lots of alligator clips used to make connections for "bench testing". Well I was about to apply power to test one of my final assembled pieces (I have two assemblies - 2 PC heatsinks with P60 pills attached for driver mounting) and right at the last second I thought I better do a continuity check across the input leads and then the output leads to check for shorts (I was doing these continuity checks all the time during testing). Sure enough I had a dead short on the output leads at the emitter connection! Good thing I didn't power it up! I removed one of the leads (positive), checked for continuity - good now, no short which seemed to indicate some part of my positive lead was touching the heatsink and therefore shorting to ground, then reassembled and re-tested (good now). Fired it up and it worked like a charm! I was so happy that I actually built something that worked!

I may "talk the talk" here on BLF, but in reality I haven't done very many mods and I have a heck of a time with those darn small components!

-Garry

Garry, glad you went back and checked, that saved you from an ugly situation!

…and YES, those components are REALLY darned small!! :bigsmile:

Congrats, TBB, on what was hopefully the first of many mods to come! 8)

I wish they had free shipping to worldwide.

Holy smokes!!! $37 to ship one mcpcb?? *gasp!*

Store Pickup (Walk In) looks like the best option for me :slight_smile:

Congrats but be careful. It’s very addictive.

Just wondering…is there one place to get a basic run-through on most common mods, with tips, tricks, etc.? This site is LOADED with info, but it seems spread out a bit. Pardon me if this is a dumb question. :zipper_mouth_face:

And thanks again for being so supportive, informative, and incredi…tive!! :wink:

Well Gords was putting together a "one stop mod shop" thread to consolidate links, but I think the "one stop mod shop" . . . well . . . stopped. :)

-Garry

Congrats!

congratulations, that chuffed feeling of success doesn’t dim either, have a look at a convoy m1 or m2 host next and give building your own light a go. 8)

Welcome to the modding club. It's very addictive. Good luck with your future mods.Wink

What a great idea!

Old Lumens, I watch and enjoy your videos, all the time realizing I couldn’t do most of the things you do. Thanks for all the effort involved in putting them out there, they are appreciated!

Next mod I'd do a Nichia 219... if you think the 5c is good wait till you see what hi cri looks like

Those Nichia 219s must really be something! Every flashaholic seems to have or want one. Where do they land in the CW-NW-WW range?

You may want to see this post with a comparison to NW XM-L. I am looking for another really good Nichia shot and can't find it right now. Will edit to update when/if I find it.

EDIT - Ah, here is the thread (I was thinking of that goofy looking face/mask photo showing many colors for the CRI testing.

I've not used a Nichia 219 yet.

-Garry

4500k Neutral white
flashlightwiki.com/Nichia

Thank you sirs! I may look into the L10 to see what all the hubbub is about. {:sunglasses: