First XM-L TIR Lens Light.

… Because optic manufacturers like Fraen, Khatod…etc make all kinds of lenses, with varying angle degrees of beam concentration. Its just wrong to assume that TIR = tight throw, across the population of commercially available TIR lens products.

Explains it pretty well. A TIR lens is a plastic, glass or silicone lens based upon the principals of Total Internal Reflection.

PPtk

More on them Here !

Here’s pretty good video on the M3 TIR. TurboBB has a excellent review and some fanstastic pics of the TIR lens…

http://blog.goingprepared.com/surefire-m3lt-s-led-flashlight-review

Usually, they don’t zoom.

LedLenser’s “Advanced Focus System” found in the P~~, M~~ and T-series is the only reasonably zoomable TIR I know of.

Looking at the light Rikr bought its obvious its a frosted TIR so its total flood. If you go to Khatod, Ledil, or Carclo sites and look through their products you’ll find they offer numerous varients of each optic. Look at the list Ledil makes optics for:

I received this light and it is a keeper except by the rattle of the TIR. I tried to unscrew the head I it seems to be glued. The beam is a large round hotspot with little spill. The lux is at least as high as my Eagletac D25 XML clicky but the hot spot is larger. It pulls 2.35 A from a 18650 (Trustfire fire). The TIR doesn’t seem to have an o’ring to seal/avoid rattling. If I can fix that, it would be a great light.

Mine draws 3.6A from an freshly charged (4.18V) Panasonic NCR18650A (Callies Kustoms) on high. If I was sure how to get to the led itself, I’d measure current to the emitter. 2.78A from a Trustfire that is resting at 4.07V. Oh, and I don’t have any rattle at the lens. There is also no o-ring there.

Now I cannot say this is a thrower as the hotspot is large, but it has a clear cutoff, with a lot of spill. The diameter of the hotspot is maybe 50% larger than the UF-2100 that many people have. It’s about the same as the Citycat YEE-Lic that I EDC.

Masejoer,
Could you check whether you can open the head and access the TIR?
Thanks!

It looks like there is a plastic washer that is pressed into place around the spring in the head to hold the assembly together. There are no holes to unscrew from. I feel that pulling it apart will require damaging the washer. The optic itself does not appear to be removable from the front.

Can you tell which picture used the ugly flash of the camera on the phone? :wink:

In the light’s head, right below where it says “Caution: hot surface” there is a groove. If you light inside the groove, you will see there an orange o’ring in the side closer to the TIR. That indicates that the top side of the head is screwed. However, as much as I tried, I couldn’t unscrew it. I wonder whether they put glue in the thread.

Ah, you are right. There is an oring slightly visible.