Flash Light For Photographing Owls

Hi,

I currently use a 1000 lumen Fenix flashlight for photographing owls at night.
The 1000 lumen model is easy to carry in pocket. But,t he issue is, it get heated up when operated at 1000 lumens mode for long time.
So, just want to check are there any other models in a similar form factor with same or more lumens that produce less heat.
I am sharing one of my owl pictures taken using this flash light.

This was shot from around 30 ft distance. Thanks for referring the Convoy one

Can’t help with a light recommendation, but that is a great photo. Thanks for posting.

Many Thanks for sharing multiple options :slight_smile:

Many Thanks. Glad you liked it :slight_smile:

That is an awesome picture! I have bought a house out in woods recently and have owls all around, and I am always trying to photo one. Just saw one for first time. In months, couldn’t get a good photo.

Anyway, I would look at something like the Astrolux mf01 mini with sst20 4000k. It has both very good throw, and high lumens (5000) meaning it could easily hold around 1000 lumens for you. It isn’t extremely inexpensive but right now bang good has it on sale for under $50. I thought I’d hate the mf01 mini and t has become one of my more used lights because of it versatility,

Feel free to share more pictures :+1:

I mean you may want something with a better regulated driver depending on long you need to hold that 1000 lumens for. If you do, I don’t know enough to recommend something but someone else here definitely does.

Lumintop X9L?

For around 30 ft photography, the only light I can think of is the Wuben TO50R. One of the hidden gem in flashlight world. Has everything for photography. High CRI, perfect flood, can sustain high for a very long time (1000 lumen for about 1h30min, no stepdown), magnet in tailcap, large battery capacity, power bank fonction, etc.

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/58809

seems like that is a hard application

needs to be bright, spotty/concentrated, high CRI, and also probably tripod mounted.

also i don;t see why the owl doesn;t just fly away when the bright light comes on

or does that also serve to disguise your presence?

are they sort of hypnotized by it.?

sorry, more Q than A…

wle

If you put the beam right on him (in his eyes), the owl will fly away has been my experience with spotting owls. i’ve never gotten that close—that is a great photo.

Great photo and that sounds like fun!

Which fenix flashlight are you using now, and would you want similar beam size or one that’s more or less focused?

The short answer to your question is no, a similar sized light with similar lumens will produce a similar amount of heat. There will be some differences due to LED and driver efficiencies, but they will be relatively small.

But you can go up slightly in size to get more mass and surface area and that will help the flashlight get less hot.

That would be my bet too! :wink:
Love that light for photography and I only wish I could do it more, because that light is great for that purpose!! :+1:

Nitecore EC4GT. 1pc cast-Al case, takes 2 cells over’n’under, rock-solid output even at 1000 lemons from start ’til the cells croke.

Discontinued, but I think illumn.com still has a bunch.

No flashlight advice but for those that are interested, I know that at least Barred Owls are easy to call in. Friends do it here playing Youtube videos on they’re cell phones. The most we’ve had close was seven. They’re loud, kind of freaky. We live in the woods, bordering National Forrest but I’ve seen owls about everywhere including cities.
The Cornell Lab of Ornithology and Audobon Society have recordings of most birds, even a free app.

https://www.audubon.org/news/hear-many-different-hoots-barred-owl

Oh, and don’t forget that the lens makes a bunch of difference. The more it opens up, the less light you need to maintain the same shutter speed.

Got 8kbux to throw around, you can always get a Noct (f/0.95). :laughing:

For nighttime, when my f/2.8 70-200 doesn’t even cut it, I got a few primaries down in the f/1.4 and even f/1.2 range. Good for snapping pix of Christmas lights. Raccoons, too.

I’m amazed when I see people trying to snap decent pix on their cellphones… :person_facepalming:

Nice shot.

I’d recommend getting a high CRI LED for wildlife photography. One without a pronounced hotspot or one that’s large enough to fill the entire frame.

However, I’d think you should get the best results using a flashlight for focusing and an off-camera flash for the shot itself.

If heat is the issue now for the op. I’m not sure this would be any improvement.

You are probably right, but it would help us if the OP would specify which 1000 lm Fenix light he is currently using.