Flashlight for edc/self defense

Well, I don’t have any Streamlight, Surefire or Maglite flashlights! Actually, the ones I have are…just a few if you compare some folks around here :wink:

Some things you can compare, between the several brands mentioned, is the ouput, the type of batteries used and the user interface you want/need.

One thing you’ll probably notice is that sometimes you pay a lot for a few output (one thing that me and many members here really like: LUMENS!!!).

So, my suggestion was a good compromise. Olight has 5 years warranty.
Their lights are efficient, reliable, most of them are rechargeable (via proprietary magnetic charging cable), and are well recognized worldwide for their quality! Only cons people normally see are: the proprietary type of batteries, the cold white tints they have. But for a light that is wanted to be bright, cold white tints are no worry :wink:

So, that’s just a suggestion of course :wink:
I am sure other members here can also help you on your choice!

Klarus XT1A is a good ‘practical-tactical’ EDC with good diameter and length for harris grip technique, with strobe ready function that can be programmed into quick-access low mode if later turns out you dont need the strobe ready function

more reason i carried it ’cause i could easily switch to regular AA battery anytime in case its original rechargeable 14500 ran out of juice, but you get lower output with AA unlike li-ion however its something you only do under extreme emergency

I was going to refer that or the XT1C 2018/19 that I have and that I like a lot too, but I thought about some of its disadvantages comparing with the M2R Warrior:

The XT1C/A have lower outputs, less distance ranges, both use cells with less capacity, are not rechargeable (although the included cells are USB rechargeable), and the User Interface, althought configurable, is not so versatile as the one from the M2R (shortcuts to: moonlight, Turbo, last used mode, Strobe).

On the advantages, they can use other cells (although implying less output), they are cheaper, they are smaller (although the XT1A is quite big for an AA/14500 flaslhight).

Klarus has the bigger sisters, like the, XT2CR, XT11S and XT11GT, but I don’t know them well…

So, one has to really compare pros and cons to decide what to get.

If we talk about reliability and self defense Maglite 6D is a way to go.
Mike

lol. I have 2 maglites. Had them for decades. One is a 3D and other is a mini mag. They are work horses. However I feel one with a button on the rear end would be more practical for this purpose. No way I am holding the 3D in one hand and handgun in the other.

I’m glad you mention a handgun cause in no way does shining even a super powerful flashlight at someone provide you any form of self defense regardless of what a google add bot tells you on Facebook.
Do you CCW? Have you considered a mounted light? Many holster companies offer light compatible holsters now days and if your specific combo isn’t supported by one or more of them there’s always the custom kydex benders who can make anything.
My current EDC is a sig p365 and I don’t run a light on it, it’s to small that I don’t want to negate the size advantage with a light stuck on the end so I pocket EDC an Fw1a which can be ran in tactical mode (switch held = light on, release = light off, true momentary operation)*

*do note I don’t use it in this momentary mode, but since you’re talking about tactical lights I thought I’d mention it.

Yes I considered a pistol light. Borrowed a streamlight and a olight from my friend and tried them both and I was not comfortable with them. The pistol felt unbalanced, which is why the search for a handheld one. My edc is a s&w sd9ve (I live in california so my handgun options are limited to say the least).

I’m eyeing the Olight Warrior X Pro for a self-defense light, the Pro in particular even though it doesn’t have a strobe (the standard X does). Reason being the UI allows direct access to high (or even low when you don’t need high) and it produces 2250 lumens and 90,000 candela with a claimed 600-meter throw. The standard warrior X is not far behind.

The torture test claims are very impressive, and some YouTubers have seriously abused their Warrior X Pros on camera without any issues.

The proprietary batteries (in the Pro at least) are the only turn-off, but it makes up for it with the magnetic charging base.

Unsolicited advice, but I strongly encourage you to ditch the Harries technique. It was invented in the 1970’s when you needed a full hand to hold a 2D Maglite that weighed 2lbs and produced 90 lumens. 50 years later, a pistol light weighs 4oz and makes 1000 lumens. You will be both faster and more accurate with both hands on the gun.

Makes sense.

And if the pistol feels unbalanced with a light on it, maybe practice with it until you get used to the different balance.

On the other hand, there may be times you want to use your light without the added threat of having your pistol out. In that case, having a separate light makes more sense.

Yeah, I’d call it a requirement. Under no circumstance should you use a weaponlight as a flashlight, that’s all sorts of irresponsible and unsafe. Rule #2, don’t point your gun at anything you don’t intend to shoot/kill/destroy. Also, any administrative handling of a gun increases the odds of a negligent discharge, guns that stay in holsters don’t get fired nearly as often as guns out of their holster.

Malkoff or HDS if you want the best in reliability/dependability.

Malkoff is cheaper, offers higher outputs and has more battery formats (plus can lego different options with Surefire and their own products). HDS has some very nice interfaces and some fancy features like their Rotary lights and customizable interfaces.

Elzetta…

For CCW:

https://www.surefire.com/illumination/flashlights/everyday-carry-flashlight-edcl2-t.html

It has a ‘gas pedal’ tailcap - light press is 5lm low, for EDC/utility tasks, while a hard full press activates 1200lm.

With a Harries grip, you pretty much must have a forward-clicky tailcap switch, either 1-mode or separate side-switch to set modes while the tailcap is simply on/off.

Best bet, and my former EDC light, would be a Nitefox UT20, described above to a tee.

You want a simple tail-clicky for simple on/off to avoid confusion. The last thing you want is to go switching modes to moonlight(!!) or something when you just want the last mode used.

You also want a forward-clicky (momentary-on, vs momentary-off) so you can do a quick flash’n’dash, without incessantly clicking-on and clicking-off, potentially giving away your position.

And while it’s a bit unique to the UT20, it has “EDC mode” and “tactical mode”. I hate blinkies so would (and did) avoid “tactical mode”, but if that’s the better choice for you, then you at least have that choice.

That said, the Nitecore P30 has a forward-clicky tailswitch, throws like Hell in a nice tight beam, but has a big head/reflector to match. I didn’t review my P30s, but you can goggle around for more info. Makes a great “wotnahell’s making that noise out back??” light for the nightstand.

Better yet, just get both.

I think the Manker mc12 could be a good candidate if you are looking for a small thrower with a high cd (its 105k). And it has instant strobe also. Ive had mine for a couple months and it been very reliable (I use it several times a day everyday).

Remember 6D is not to be used with a overhead swing, unless you intend to kill.

Night Provision TX8 or Folomov 18650s (2 led choices). They are basically the same. Good grip. Only 4 inches so you can carry it in any pocket or any other way you want. Tail switch thats pretty easy to operate no matter how your thumb lands on it. In tactical mode you have momentary on, or 1 click for on high, or double click from off or on for strobe. What more could you want? Oh you want more? Take it out tactical mode and you have moonlight plus five other brightness levels + 3 blinky modes including strobe. But you don’t have to wade through the blinkie’s unless you want them with the TX8. With the Folomov you do have to wade through the strobe when you are not in the tactical mode. It’s a good flashlight to have for many different uses stashed in various places.

Thank you for the heads-up, I was looking for a weapon mounted light and jumped on the deal! :smiley: :+1:

Ahah, glad you found it helpful :wink:
Your wallet too :smiley: