flashlight

Shipping is around $6 USA for the Xcess 500 (T80/V6CS) So even with shipping it’s still about $5.00 less than Fasttech.

Yes, as stated in my post above:

Keep in mind that although the exterior (body) may be identical to another brand the internals may be different. With a new brand clone of a known model it’s kind of a crap shoot until someone buys one and reviews it”:flashlight

A better option for a side switch light (even less $:money_mouth_face: may be this one:

Eagle Eyes X6R

KronoReview: Eagle Eye X6R

Has built in charging, so you could get away with not buying a separate charger. …for now :wink:

Here’s another option. Make sure you get a XM-L2 with a SMO reflector if you order one.
http://us.banggood.com/Wholesale-Warehouse-Convoy-C8-AK47-71358-8-Modes-white-light-LED-Flashlight-wp-Usa-908245.html

i don’t get the difference with the convoys……do the numbers represent something?
also, what is the run time on each mode?

remember how i mentioned guard dog lights? i saw this one on amazon that i forgot to post up
you guys think this is good?

The numbers are representing the driver type & power (7135 current limiter chip based driver), each chip gives .35 Amps, * 6, or * 8 of them will give a max of 2.1A or 2.8A respectively.
Other numbers in the description will represent the type of LED, & it’s “Bin” & colour temperature.

The run-time is going to be determined by the amount of current the light is drawing, & the capacity of the cell that’s in it.

At 3 amps, with a good 3400mah cell, you might get 1 hour run-time.

At 1 Amp, you should get around 3 hours.

At 0.5 Amp, you should get over 6 hours.

- edit - remember that you have several modes to utilize, (high, medium, low, etc), so even if you get a 2.8Amp driver, you can still get a long run-time out of it buy using lower modes.

Forget about that light - It’s a “C8” format, which is a great all-round light, but we have no idea which driver is in it, or it’s build quality.

You can get a random C8 for less than 15 bucks, & end up with exactly the same light, except it says “CREE” rather than “Guard Dog” on the side…

This is potentially exactly the same light….

well, it says the convoy c8 isn’t rechargeable. so what would you recommend that is rechargeable?

The battery used is rechargeable though. You remove it, put it in a charger and then refit. Lights with inbuilt charging are generally not recommended due to the problems of low quality chargers (ie: most chargers you will come across).

Chargers are another big discussion around these parts. Li ion batteries too vary in quality and dangers. Do not for example buy a battery with the word Fire in it, no Im not joking.

4C is a neutral white tint and 1A is a cool white tint.

As for you wanting a flashlight with built in charging, forget about it. I wouldn’t trust a built in charging circuit when using lithium cells. Just get a good battery charger and good batteries. Anything with “Fire” in it is unsafe junk that can go boom and burn your house down. Not to mention destroy your lungs if vented.

I’ll make this easy for you. Richard (RMM on BLF) is a USA based seller from Washington state. He has great prices and all of his batteries are the good kind. He doesn’t sell junk and has great service. His orders are packaged very well. His shipping is around $5 for USPS 2 day priority

Convoy C8 Flashlight - XM-L2 U2 1A - Newest Version $17.99

A good charger that is easy to use. You can choose a cheaper charger but why skimp?
Nitecore Digicharger D2 $18.90

3 Protected cell 18650 batteries to choose from (No chinese junk here). Think of protected cells as having built in circuit breakers to keep things from going boom. They also keep you from over draining your batteries which can damage the cell and make them unsafe.

Panasonic NCR18650PF Protected 2900mAh $8.75

LG 18650MH1 Protected 3200mAh $8.95

Panasonic NCR18650B Protected 3400mAh $9.65

I suggest you go to this thread and ask Richard (RMM) any questions you have. He won’t push things down your throat and try to sell you something you don’t need. He’s a honest guy who is on the level.
MTN Electronics: LEDs - Batteries - Lights - Chargers - Hosts - Drivers - Components - 1-Stop-US Source

dkim47, I think you really need to do some deep research yourself before proceeding into the flashlight world.

The “rechargeable” description of the amazon C8 light you linked is misleading. It is not rechargeable, it only uses a rechargeable battery. Don’t buy it, it’s almost twice the price and has half the output as the Convoy’s FmC and I linked above. If you want one faster from USA then get the one Jubeldum linked. But you will need to also buy a battery charger to recharge.

If you want a good truly rechargeable light get the Eagle Eye I linked above, then you won’t have to buy a charger, only a battery. You will also need a charging cord (the same kind that is used for android phones)

Here are the links again for the rechargeable Eagle Eye light (and a review on it):

Eagle Eyes X6R

X6R Review: KronoReview: Eagle Eye X6R

Here is a good quality battery for it (Battery ships from USA warehouse)

NCR-18650B-3_7V-3400mAh-Protected-Rechargeable-Lithium-Battery

I prefer the U2-3C (neutral white) over the U2-1A (cool white) but that is a matter of preference, the 3C will show colors better, especially outdoors. The 1A will have a slightly bluish tint. IMO the blue tint appears brighter but you can actually see less.

Tint Comparison - white vs neutral white
Hover your mouse pointer over the first two photos for Neutral White compared to Cool White (mouse in = NW, …mouse out = CW)

Convoy C8 at RMM doesn’t show option for NW but if you email him I think he will offer it?

Here is C8, Good charger and battery, all ship from USA and free shipping.

Convoy C8 with T6-4C NW option

XTAR VC2 Charger With LCD Screen Display

NCR 18650B Protected Rechargeable Battery

The Eagle Eyes X6R even though it has the built in charger you don’t have to use it because is uses a standard 18650 rechargeable battery that is removable so you also have the option to charge it in a stand-alone charger as Jubeldum recommended.

The nice thing about the X6R is the side switch which is more convenient for switching between the modes, low, medium, high and “Turbo”

Eagle-Eyes-X6R with U2-3C NW option (Ships from China)

Banggood has a XM-L2 4C neutral white with a SMO reflector.

http://us.banggood.com/Wholesale-Warehouse-Convoy-C8-AK47-71358-8-Modes-white-light-LED-Flashlight-wp-Usa-908245.html

” XTAR VC2 Charger With LCD Screen Display For 18650 26650 Battery”:http://us.banggood.com/Wholesale-Warehouse-XTAR-VC2-Charger-With-LCD-Screen-Display-For-18650-26650-Battery-wp-Usa-954348.html $22.88

Yes, the same ones I linked in the post above yours.

Sorry I think I got the last one Richard had in stock,(XinTD C8) should be here today

Instead of a built in charger here is an option for flashlights that can be recharged without having to remove the battery.

The included charging dock makes charging a piece of cake. No need to remove the battery and put it in a separate charger. The dock also has a extended USB-port for charging other electronic products.

These include the battery and charger. I like the S20R and S30R. Convenient, high output, good quality, side switch and very pocket-able for EDC.

Not budget price but consider once you add up the costs of a light, a separate charger and battery (if you don’t already have a charger and batteries) and don’t plan on starting a flashlight collection :slight_smile:

Olight-edc-rechargeablel

does the charger shut down after the battery completely charges?

Yes AFAIK, or it may just step down to a trickle. I have the previous version s20 (without charging dock) I’d like to get this one because IMO it would be very convenient to recharge and go…just set it on and off the dock…

Their website is down for maintenance right now but I read this quote from a review: “On the charging dock there is a led indicator which lets you know if charging is done. When the dock is connected but not charging, the led blinks red. When charging it’s solid red and when charging is completed it’s green. The dock charged my sample till 4.13V”

So at least it has the fully charged indicator. To play it safe I’d just remove it soon as possible after charging, as I do with my separate chargers. But I would like to find out specifically if it’s OK to leave it on the dock overnight.

These also have a magnetic tail cap which I require for my pocket lights, (dual purpose: holds it on the charging dock, and stick on metal surfaces for hands free light) I constantly use the magnet feature at work and around my vehicle. (I often stick it up in the metal door jamb to light around an open door or hatch, or on the body to light the area) And the s20r has a “deep carry” pocket clip which is nice.

I recently missed a deal on the s20r only $43!! (from the same seller where I bought my s20, Andrew & Amanda) It was in their Deals Thread here on the forum:
https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/31227?page=1#comment-752659 With that deal it is pretty much “Budget” price considering you’re getting the battery and charger.

OTOH, at nearly twice the lumen output, just a tad bit larger and only $10 more I’d probably rather have the s30R, so I’ll be looking for a deal on that one.

IMO the charging dock feature is great for someone with just one light, so they don’t need to purchase a separate charger. But it can also be great for a flashaholic like myself; my EDC lights see a ton of use daily and I’m usually charging every night. So even though I have a hoard of Li-Ion batteries and several chargers, the convenience of this makes sense for me for my EDC light.

Although I am a true NW tint fan, with it’s quality build, great UI, side switch, convenient charging dock and magnet tail I could compromise for CW on this one.

There is a “Budget light” clone of the s20 (non charging dock version) it’s about $14-$15 after BLF discount. And you can choose NW tint. Not an exact clone but very close. It doesn’t list a magnetic tail but it may be possible to add one. Solarstorm-SC02-CREE-XM-L2-U2-T6-3C-Flashlight

Keep in mind though these are smaller EDC pocket lights, a different category than the larger longer range light like the C8, but if you stick around here and you’re gonna want need both anyhow!

I see your point there, but I don’t think I will be needing a collection hahaha. :bigsmile: