Flashlights Aimed at the Cowboys Stadium

http://thescoopblog.dallasnews.com/2013/03/photo-project-at-cowboys-stadium-draws-about-2400.html/

An unprecedented nighttime photo shoot Saturday at Cowboys Stadium drew about half its goal of 5,000 people. But the crowd was large enough to paint the building with light, a phrase used to describe the collaborative art project that utilized doctoral candidates as well as young children.

An estimated 2,400 people – mostly clothed in black – shuffled around the parking lot, waving flashlight beams along the stadium’s glass skin and bouncing light off the pavement. Volunteers across Legends Way pointed their lights at the stadium roof, while others huddled under the arches with their lights.

The 28th annual Big Shot is a project of the Rochester Institute of Technology, which has been shooting long-exposure, volunteer-lit scenes since the mid-1980s.

Appropriately for the venue, Big Shot co-founder Bill DuBois was forced to call audibles throughout the night from his perch 40 feet in the air atop a scissor lift.

The exposure length was doubled when the crowd was smaller than expected, but then reduced again when the first effort was overexposed. The volunteers had to be reminded to not let their flashlight beams linger, creating lighting hot spots. And then were told to shuffle back-and-forth in a wider area than planned.

After the last of five shots were finished at 9:05 p.m., project organizers surreptitiously passed around a bottle of peppermint schnapps – a Big Shot tradition, they noted – and head toward the stadium to start processing the photos.

DuBois said things were shaky at first but then “it all fell into place.”

http://thescoopblog.dallasnews.com/2013/03/photo-project-at-cowboys-stadium-draws-about-2400.html/

Apparently, this addiction isn’t as silly as we think others think it is.

And I can see it - hundreds of them using puny little AA Maglites and such!

Cool shot!

-Garry

Good comment Garry, LOL.

A few hard core BLF members can provide more light than 2400 feeble lights :bigsmile:

Yeah, we just need a handful of folks with Kings, TR-J18s, and the like...

They really need to get the exposure time down to improve the effect. Way too much light pollution in the area.

A couple of BLF members with a TK75, BTU Shocker or similar.. I think it would be enough. ;)

Maybe we should volumteer our services……

Just ship ilf’s collection in and it should be sorted :bigsmile:

Heh, I wish there was something like this nearby... would be fun to let out 15,000-20,000 lumens.

One time I went to one of these things, but it was before XM-Ls so I showed up with an XP-G. :P While it was brighter than everyone else's mini-mags it wasn't as bright as I would have liked.

I wonder how they would have reacted to a de-focused laser.

People today aren't as impressed with 1000 lumens as they were years ago with 80 lumens. Not sure if that's good or bad.

They might not like the results if we showed up. They'd have to reduce the shutter time, which means there'd probably be hotspots. They might be able to make it work if they merged multiple exposures though. Someday when my collection is bigger, and I can find a way to mount all my lights, I'd like to try lighting up a local mountain.