flashlights for daily use : help me

hello

i’m a newbie in flashlights and thanks to the blf forum i learned so much and i have bought flashlights. I want to increase my collection. Mainly use is small distances, i have
Olight S1 Baton CU -> everyday in pocket, great choice, turbo mode is very very bright for this small thing
S2+ QLITE_3A / XM-L2 U3 -> small distance and large beam perfect for my use
C8 17DD_BLF / XM-L2 U3 dedomed -> large distance but narrow beam. Good throw really but not really good for me
SKYRAY KING clone 8X -> really good throw, small distance but large beam and 3 or 4 times the power of S2+

I would like to buy / build another setup for small distance and good throw and another for medium distances….

I was thinking of the SUPFIRE M6 from MTN Richard, put inside 3 dedomed XML2 dedomed and a FET driver from richard ? quite a lot of power no ?

Do you think of something else in the range between S2+ and C8 ?
I have one S2+ shipping from simon aliexpress and i’ll buy one 17DD_BLF + XML2 U3 from 3Tronics to put inside….

thanks for your inputs, and any ideas…

PS: please ignore my bad english, i’m a frenchy and love the blf forum so i try to participate in this good place.

Sounds like you got your bases covered.

You looking for something with great flood ? Mega flooder that makes up distance buy high lumens ??

guess I don’t understand what your looking for.

I been eye balling the M6 also, I having trouble finding a use for it.

The Solarforce L2, L2T or L2P are kinda intermediate sized.
Everyone should have a couple of P60 lights.
0:)

Salut, si tu veux essayer autre chose jette un oeil aux lampes Olight. Tu ne pourra pas facilement remplacer le driver mais l’interface utilisateur est superbe !
Hi, if you want to try something different take a look at Olight flashlights. You can’t easily replace drivers but the UI is superb !

Salut!

If you want something in between an S2+ and C8 I recommend a Convoy M1 or M2. Very nice useable beam, not too much flood or throw.

Also excellent build quality on these and hard to beat thermal design with that integrated shelf. I agree a P60 size is great, but bad thermal design without some work. I would steer in the direction of the Convoys anyway. I have a few M1 and M2s and I think prefer the M2 a bit more. Maybe it’s the finish? It seems a bit more elegant or something, and I like the stainless steel bezel as well.

Check out here or here for the Convoys.

Do you want to mod?
You got the SRK, and RMM is just atrted a grou bouty for an ideal driver for that.
heat removal is an issue, but when solved you wll get more out of your SRK.

Yep, I got my SRK done. J) It gets hot fast on high!

Holesaw, files, sandpaper, aluminum, thermal epoxy, and JB weld, and it’s bright!!

I drove with this the other night, was close to par with my HID headlights.

That FET driver RMM has is awesome for the SRK. If you have it, mod it up! It will take some work though.

My favourite all-purpose light is the Zebralight SC5. It’s available in various tints and LEDs, to suit your tastes. I really like the user interface, and the programability. And, it’s the brightest light 1xAA light you can buy (over 500 lumens).

The only downside is that one AA battery won’t last very long if you use it on high modes. So, I tend to use 2xAA lights more for outdoor use, if I know I need the extra run time. My favourite 2xAA light is the Armytek Prime A2 (in warm white). It’s also available as a 1xAA, if you like its user interface and prefer smaller lights.

I think those lights are around $70. So, a little expensive, but worth it IMO.

I’ve got one 4xAA light (Sunwayman D40A), for the long run time and high output and throw, but I don’t use it much because 4xAA lights are bigger than I like. It’s a nice light, but I find it too large to carry in a pocket.

I’m not much into lithium-ion lights. I use Eneloops in almost everything, so I tend to stick to AA and AAA lights.

hello

Thanks for your inputs!
I already saw the solar force but as someone suggest thermal spreading is bad.
in fact I don’t understand why manufacturers do pill design for led lights! the way convoy go with there head design is very good. heat goes directly to the externals rings without any thread in between

so for the next light I would appreciate this type of design.

how is the beam of the m2 compare to the c8 ? because I find the c8 dedicated for long range use like 50m-100m.

the good thing with srk is that for medium range like 20m-30m it has a very large beam. but quite big…I have ordered the get srk from Richard and I already have the 32 7135 srk from Richard I need to mod my 2 clones and see the change.

I thought I would share this with you.

I have a C8 with a Nichia 219C running at about 4 amps at the tailcap. I also have a few M2 hosts lying around and I built one up this afternoon with the same driver and also a Nichia 219C. This also is pulling about 4 amps at the tail. I put the same type of cell in each light, both at 4.23 volts.

The only variable here then s reflector size and type. The M2 has an OP reflector where the C8 is a SMO type. I also bored out the emitter hole to get rid of the ringiness on the C8.

Here it is against a wall.

M2:

!

C8:

Here they are together:

Outdoor beamshots
M2: Note- this looks dimmer in the picture than in person, I think it is because the light is more spread out so the camera couldn’t focus on one bright hotspot as like the others.

C8:

And for good measure, here is my FET driven SRK on four high drain cells J) Did I hear boom?

C’est tout! Bonne fin de semaine!

Mizou51,

I too am a newbie, and it seems we are thinking along the same lines.

I plan to get a Convoy S2+, just trying to decide on red, blue or green, neutral whte tint.

I will also likely get an Astrolux A1 (BLF A6) pocket rocket.

I did pick up an Xtar BK21. This is a small bike light, about the size of a Surefire 6P, just small enough to fit in a pants pocket. It has four modes, low, medium, high and strobe. High is about 600 lumens. Tint is a blueish cool white. The best feature for me is the magnetic mode selector ring that works with the on/off tail clicky. It is not too expensive. I like it a lot.

I just received a Brynite B158 zoomie, it is fun. It soon will be mounted on a firearm. As for zoomies, i am also on the list for the Jax Z1 Cometa group buy. As well, I have looked at the Tank007 737 pocket size zoomie and am considering one.

From Mountain Electronics I have a Supfire M6 with the high end upgrade, as well as a Maxtoch M24 Sniper BLF version (for those times i want to peer deep into the darkness.)

As for small thrower options, I am still considering a C8. There were some posts on the Odepro / Brynite B58U but it seems interest has wained and there is little recent feedback from owners.

I am still looking for something for the keychain as well as a budget mega flooder. But I am just not to sure about those 6-7-8-9-XX LED SRKs.

Anyway, laissez le bon temps rouler!

For a keychain, the Astrolux A01 is a small three mode 90+CRI light.

Above is my review. I can also second the convoy M1 as a mid level light with good throw and spill with an OP reflector…

For beam pattern and throw distance, halfway between the S2+ and the C8 would be a D80. “[link]”:GB BLF LuckySun D80-SE Need long tubes? -3/3/16

About 1300 lumens, the D80 is much brighter than either of the other two flashlights.

Price: $20.59.

Highly recommended.

Can you post a link to what RMM is doing with the SRK driver? I’m wanting to do a SRK as my first major build and the source I had for the original 3 toroid drivers finally sold out before I could get any. My usual luck and timing I’m afraid.

Phil

Thanks you all for your inputs!

I already have the 2 drivers from Richard (MTN store) 46mm (1 FET / 1 LINEAR)
I’ll wait because i ordered 3 noctigon U3 XM L2 and i’ll mod my SRK clone with these 3 LED + FET driver.

Here you go, the minimum is not reached

I don’t know how I missed that but I’m in now!

Phil